FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a TP-Link WiFi Extender

thegodplato
Team Player
Message 26 of 26

Work have purchased for me a TP-Link AV1000 to boost the wi-fi signal.  It is plugged into the Talk Talk router and the works laptop has now got a stable internet connection.  However, we are experiencing some problems:

1) Mobiles connected to either the TalkTalk router or the TP-Link do not show images anymore when on social media sites - turn wi-fi off, use mobile data and images show.

2) SkyBox keeps losing wi-fi connection - yes I know this may well be a Sky issue but only started when we got the TP-Link device.

I was wondering if there are any settings I should be changing on the TalkTalk router to rectify this?

0 Likes
25 REPLIES 25

Message 1 of 26

Morning,

Can I just confirm, is this happening with just the router connected and the adapter removed? What is your current set up at the moment?

Thanks

0 Likes

thegodplato
Team Player
Message 2 of 26

Hi, I have still got issues with the router.  As much as turning off Kids Safe has worked, we need to turn it on to allow Splashtop.com as acceptable site so my wife can remotely access her work PC.  So we are back to square one I guess albeit we can keep turning Kids Safe on and off but it is a faff as you need to enter Splashtop.com in the Allowed sites section every single time you need to use it.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 26

Morning,

Ok thanks for the update and please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

0 Likes

thegodplato
Team Player
Message 4 of 26

So, I think we finally have got it working on both PC and mobiles.  I'm not sure if there is an issue with how the Home Safe thing works though.  In order for my wife to connect to her work PC they used some software called Splashtop and that had to be entered under Specific Websites in order for the connection to be made. We had Kids Safe turned on but under the Website Categories section all the items listed had to be turned off.  We also had various Social Media sites entered in the Specific Websites section and Allow was ticked.

I have now turned off Kids Safe and everything seems to be working fine which makes me think that having it set to on but nothing selected under Website Categories causes it to be confused.

Lets see if it continues to work ok.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 26

Morning,

In regards to the social media issue, could you log into your My Account and check to see if you have HomeSafe/KidSafe set up please?

Thanks

0 Likes

thegodplato
Team Player
Message 6 of 26

I have disconnected the PC from the WiFi and used a lead to provide wired connection but that has made no difference, still no access to social media on the PC. Don't forget that this is more to do with the lack of full access to Social Media sites via WiFi on our mobiles.  Its really odd, we haven't changed anything on the PC or our mobiles.  The only thing that has happened is changing provider to yourselves from Vodafone and, since changing providers, finding the WiFi signal not as good hence the Extender requirement.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 26

Morning,

Can I just confirm, does this also happen if you connect one of the devices wired? I'm just trying to confirm if this is solely related to the wireless connection?

Thanks

0 Likes

thegodplato
Team Player
Message 8 of 26

Hi, no unfortunately not.  I have attached what we get when on a PC for Facebook.  And when on mobiles, no pictures appear and other strange things happen for my daughter on snap chat, etc.  The only way we get everything working fine on our mobiles is to use mobile data which leads me to think it has to be a router/cabling network issue causing the wi-fi to not work correctly.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 26

Hi thegodplato,

And it doesn't make any difference if the wi-fi extender is unplugged?

Chris

0 Likes

thegodplato
Team Player
Message 10 of 26

The replacement router has made no difference.  Is there anything else we can try?

0 Likes

Message 11 of 26

Hi thegodplato

The router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

thegodplato
Team Player
Message 12 of 26

If you can organise a replacement router that would be appreciated.

Thanks

Message 13 of 26

Hi thegodplato

Would you like us to send a replacement router for testing?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

thegodplato
Team Player
Message 14 of 26

This issue is still ongoing, I don't have another router to try.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 26

Hi

Do you want to try swapping out the router to see if that helps ?

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

thegodplato
Team Player
Message 16 of 26

Hi, its still odd.  Quite a bit hit and miss whether images show or not on FB and Twitter.  Videos stop playing half way through on TikTok and they can't send messages on SnapChat.  Have tried 2.5Ghz and 5Ghz on both the TalkTalk router and the Extender, and also with the Extender turned off but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 17 of 26

Hi

Can you check, if you turn the extender off, so devices are connected to the router, do images show then, is it only when the extender is on that images are not showing ?

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

thegodplato
Team Player
Message 18 of 26

Hi, I have checked with the boss at home ( the kids! ) and they still cannot get on their all important social media sites like SnapChat, etc. I too do not get images on Twitter.  Odd.  But thanks for your help so far!

0 Likes

Message 19 of 26

Hi

I've turned off optimisation so the wifi channel will remain static.

I've also split your wifi SSID's while we test. the 5Ghz wifi name looks the same but the last digit will be a '1'.  Passwords remain the same.

Test and see if there is any improvement.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

thegodplato
Team Player
Message 20 of 26

Hi, it doesn't seem to make a difference unfortunately.  And our new Sky box is losing connection several times a day now.

0 Likes