cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Wi-Fi keeps dropping

Johnwin6
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 15

Hi 

I have the tv hub which can only connect to the router via WiFi. I intermittently get a ‘WiFi not connected ‘ message which occurs almost hourly . The tv hub is right beside the router - seems like a router problem with WiFi constantly dropping. Is anyone else experiencing the same ?

0 Likes
14 REPLIES 14

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 15

I will PM you a link for a guide of mine on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots to me in a PM (to protect your privacy), which I have requested in my guide. No photos please they can be difficult to read as text can get out of focus when zoomed in, from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button (in a mobile browser it's the picture icon) on the post editor's toolbar with the Size parameter set to Large. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this puts the text out of focus. 

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 15

Thanks Keith - happy for you to send me the guide.

John

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 15

It probably is WiFi interference, with which I can help a lot, but I just don't like the possibility of other types of interference.

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal or no signal on some or all devices or no internet access might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a byproduct of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results so that I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 15

I will move the devices further apart this evening. What is strange however is that this has only become a problem in the past 2 weeks. Prior to then, there have been no intermittent WiFi dropouts. Also No new devices have been added , nor any new furniture / configuration in the house. 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 15

No worries @Debbie-TalkTalk I'll wait for @Johnwin6 to come back to me.

Keith

Message 7 of 15

Thanks John 🙂

@KeithFrench WIFI optimisation has been switched off and it's a Sagemcom WIFI hub.

Thanks again.

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 15

Hi @Johnwin6 

@Debbie-TalkTalk has asked me to help you with this wireless issue. Locating any electrical device right next to the router is very bad planning, as the TV box might be causing electrical interference with the router. Please can you relocate one or the other so that the router is at least about 1M apart from any other electrical device?

Then if the issue persists we can start to investigate the possibility of WiFi interference.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 9 of 15

Yes , that’s fine. Thanks

Message 10 of 15

Hi John

Ok thanks for confirming. Would it be ok if I switch the WIFI optimisation off for your line so our Community Star can help with the wireless issues?

@KeithFrench Can you help please?

KeithFrench is one of our valued Community Stars and can help with a range of issues related to wireless and networking. At times he may ask you to send him test results via a Private Message to help analyse/diagnose an issue.  Although Keith does not work for TalkTalk, he very kindly shares his time and knowledge to help with others.  If you need further help or, if we need to take any details such as personal information about your account like phone numbers, account numbers etc.  one of the TalkTalk team will jump in and help out

Message 11 of 15

The tv box is not the only device losing WiFi connection. My phone and iPad also lose connection at the same time as the tv box loses its connection. All devices are in the same room as the WiFi hub

0 Likes

Message 12 of 15

Hi John

Thanks for updating your Community Profile.

Is the TV box the only device dropping the wireless connection?

The line test is clear and the connection appears to be stable.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 15

Hi Debbie 

I have updated my profile with these details. Thanks, John 

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 14 of 15

Hi Johnwin6

I'm sorry to hear this.

Please can you add your name and TalkTalk landline number to your Community Profile, we can then take a look at this for you.

Thanks

0 Likes