cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

WiFi Drop Outs

Doronabrahami23
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 28 of 28

WiFi keeps dropping out. On the Fibre 250 plan and never had any issues for the last 3 years. Suddenly now the wifi drops every day at least a dozen times if not more. During day and at night. Talk Talk say they recognise there IS a fault on the connection but they can only keep asking me to check the wiring in the house which is perfectly fine. The wired connection is also fine and no issues at all with it. This is purely Wifi. They want to send engineer and charge me £75 but clearly the issue must be with the router or wifi channel? 

0 Likes
27 REPLIES 27

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 28

HI @Doronabrahami23 

I have offered you my help & am waiting for more screenshots from you. This is the only way to prove what the problem is & hopefully rectify the problem.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 28

Are you able to move it further away from the TV just to test, to see if it makes any difference, I think it's worth a try. Is the router connected directly to a wall socket or does it connect to a multi-socket electrical extension lead shared with other device?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 3 of 28

Its close to a TV but its been there for years so it wouldn't suddenly start impacting the signal surely?

0 Likes

Message 4 of 28

Thanks for the information. Is your router situated close to other wireless or electrical devices that could be causing interference?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 5 of 28

Hi Chris

The difference is huge. Upstairs its 50 Mbps download and 20 upload.

In the same room as the router it jumps to 264 download and 46 upload

Again, this was not the case for many years and no extra building work has happened in my property. Next door however have been building extensively for many years so maybe this could have affected the speed?

0 Likes

Message 6 of 28

Hi Doronabrahami23,

Is the wifi speed still slow if you are close to the router? Line test is showing all local wifi channels are congested

Chris

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 28

Please wait for confirmation of that being disabled, before doing any of this other work.

I will PM you a link for a guide of mine on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots to me in a PM (to protect your privacy), which I have requested in my guide. No photos please they can be difficult to read as text can get out of focus when zoomed in, from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button (in a mobile browser it's the picture icon) on the post editor's toolbar with the Size parameter set to Large. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this puts the text out of focus. 

The information below is provided by TalkTalk, for confirmation please contact @Debbie-TalkTalk or@Michelle-TalkTalk.

KeithFrench is one of our valued Community Stars and can help with a range of issues related to wireless and networking. At times he may ask you to send him test results via a Private Message to help analyse/diagnose an issue. Although Keith does not work for TalkTalk, he very kindly shares his time and knowledge to help with others.

If you need further help or, if we need to take any details such as personal information about your account like phone numbers, account numbers etc. one of the TalkTalk team will jump in and help out.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 28

Please disable Wifi Optimization settings

Please also send me your guide

Thanks

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 28

You need to find out the reason for these very slow speeds, with which I can help a lot. Generally, this router has a very good WiFi coverage.

Have you had TalkTalk’s Wi-Fi optimisation disabled on your Sagemcom FAST5364 router? When this is enabled, as it is by default, it has the power to override any Wi-Fi configuration changes that I might suggest that you need to make. This will not help rectify this type of problem if Wi-Fi Optimisation is allowed to change my suggested settings. Only TalkTalk can do this for you, you cannot do it yourself. If not, just request they disable this for you in your reply.

In other words, I try to help you optimise your Wi-Fi connection. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results so that I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 10 of 28

Thanks Keith. I've never used the 5Ghz Wifi so maybe its worth trying? Although would no doubt mean the range is reduced and anyone upstairs would suffer.

My router model is Sagemcom 5364

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 28

Hi @Doronabrahami23 

@Michelle-TalkTalk has asked me to help with the speed of your wireless devices.

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, no signal on some or all devices or no internet access might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a byproduct of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the much faster 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

In other words, I try to help you optimise your Wi-Fi connection. If you would like me to help you, please can you specify the make/model of TalkTalk router that you are using?

Keith

0 Likes

Message 12 of 28

Hello,

Thanks for confirming this. @KeithFrench - would you be able to offer some wireless advice please?

Thanks

Michelle

Message 13 of 28

Wired test is 205 Mbps download and 45 Mbps upload.

Wireless is definitely slower and varies more during the day

0 Likes

Message 14 of 28

Hi again,

Thank you. I've run a test on the line now which is clear and your sync speed looks very consistent. Would it be possible to run a wired speed test just so we can confirm if the slow speeds are solely related to the wireless please?

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 15 of 28

wireless is the speed test yes. Last night it was only at around 30 Mbps for example. Or not higher than 50. When usually it should be around 200

0 Likes

Message 16 of 28

Morning,

Thanks for confirming. What speeds are you seeing when you run the speed test please? Are these wireless speeds?

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 17 of 28

It seems to be a lot more stable since the reset. Still speed can be affected and was slow last night but at least no longer dropping out for the time being

0 Likes

Message 18 of 28

Morning,

How has your connection been over the last few days?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 19 of 28

OK thanks, please let us know how you get on

Chris

0 Likes

Message 20 of 28

OK will try that. Switching the channel number in the past has helped. rather than using the default one however...

0 Likes