cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Contacting TalkTalk re Full Fibre upgrade

johne53
Chat Champion
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 15

I've received an email from TalkTalk to say that I'll be getting moved from copper onto full fibre. I've a slightly unusual setup here so I wanted to discuss it with someone.

But I guess they've been inundated with enquiries because I've been unable to get through to anyone, either by phone or via online chat.

So is there some way to contact Support by email - or arrange a callback somehow??

0 Likes
14 REPLIES 14

Message 1 of 15

Hi johne53

If there are no power sockets by the front door then the ONT would be installed by the closest power sockets in the property. Usually the engineer will ask where you would like the ONT to be installed, as long as there are enough power sockets close by for the ONT and router to connect to. As far as I am aware we don't offer a preliminary site visit. This Help Guide below has more information on how to prepare for the installation day in advance.

How Full Fibre is installed - TalkTalk Help & Support

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

johne53
Chat Champion
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 15

Thanks @Michelle-TalkTalk. The main thing I'm trying to find out is where the new equipment will go - because if it needs to be near the front door (i.e. close to the incoming fibre line) I don't have any power sockets there. So essentially I'm trying to find out what I'll need to provide in advance of the installation.

To be honest, a preliminary site visit would help enormously (even if I'd need to pay for it...) but can TalkTalk organise things like that? And if so, how would I arrange it?

0 Likes

Message 3 of 15

Morning,

Please let us know how you get on and if you need any further assistance 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

johne53
Chat Champion
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 15

Thanks, that makes more sense now... I was wondering (if it was the same router) how on earth it'd still connect up!! 🤔

Message 5 of 15

See here re the ONT, @johne53.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/How-Full-Fibre-is-installed/ta-p/2555166

It's all there in the information articles if you simply put in words like Full Fibre etc.

The Hub 2 is NOT identical to the ordinary Sagemcom. It's very similar, but, importantly, has a special slot for your telephone. So nice and simple to set up the phone with that.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

johne53
Chat Champion
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 15

Thanks @chris and @Gliwmaeden2. I just took a look at those routers and the Sagemcom looks identical to the one that TalkTalk supplied for my existing (copper) connection. Currently it connects upstream via a telephone socket and filter - though presumably they'll disappear with full fibre?

So where will the router connect for full fibre? Presumably something will replace the telephone socket. So will the router still need to connect to it physically (i.e. via a cable)? Or will it now connect wirelessly?

0 Likes

Message 7 of 15
0 Likes

johne53
Chat Champion
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 15

Thanks @Gliwmaeden2. I'll be out for the rest of the afternoon but I'll do some more reading when I get home.

Message 9 of 15

You'll either end up with an Eero, or a Sagemcom Hub2 router, @johne53.

The latter is easier for simply plugging in the phone.

The Eero set up is more complex:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/eerosetup

Use the forum search engine for detailed questions as there is a host of information on there. 

0 Likes

johne53
Chat Champion
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 15

Thanks Chris. I just managed to get through to someone on TalkTalk Chat but he/she just gave me a telephone number to call (and admittedly my setup's a bit unusual...)

My router is in my lounge, along with my landline phone and a computer, which connects to the router via wifi.. 2 bedrooms each have another computer but the wifi signal is too weak there - so I'm using some magic boxes called TP-Link which make my electrical house wiring behave as if it were an ethernet network.

BT have installed full fibre right up to my front door and my understanding is that I'll end up getting a "full fibre box" which will need to go quite near to the front door - but none of my equipment is near the front door so I'm trying to find out how it'll end up working. Will the full-fibre box end up communicating with my router (via wifi maybe?) Or will the router become obsolete?

And how will the landline phone end up connecting? Once again, it's nowhere near my front door.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 15

Hi johne53,

Could you give us a bit more information about your setup and we'll see if we can help

Chris

Message 12 of 15

Some people seem to get support via WhatsApp or Facebook pages, @johne53.

johne53
Chat Champion
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 15

Yes the hours are okay. What happens is that I get to the stage of being held in a queue, then eventually I get cut off without anyone ever responding - likewise with the online chat.

So there's no other way to contact TalkTalk any more?  In the past I'm sure there was some way to generate a Support ticket or even get a callback if necessary.

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 15

Staff on here can't get this fixed up for you.

Make sure that you are trying to reach Talktalk during the opening hours listed on this page:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/How-to-contact-TalkTalk-Broadband/ta-p/2230529

If you have trouble with Chat not displaying, try another browser  / disable ad blockers  / enable pop ups, @johne53.

0 Likes