cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

FTTP and Linksys router

Chris4k1
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 8 of 8

So, does anyone know how you connect a Linksys router to an FTTP connection?

When plugged in no connection is found, if I try and direct connect my laptop to the FTTP box there is also no connection. This results in me being unable to setup my new router, is the FTTP box locked to talktalk or is there something I am missing? 

Using the original router works fine.

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

Chris4k1
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 1 of 8

Thanks for the further information to all.

So mine is the black city fibre box, the router I have is the TalkTalk Hub 2 and a Linksys MR5500 (AX5400) and yes it was reset beforehand.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 8

No the ONT just converts fibre to Ethernet. Your router stays in router mode. Confirm who provided the FTTP service, BT or City Fibre.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 8

City Fibre would have activated the service using the supplied router. They cannot close the job until the service is live on the router or so they told me. This is what they did on mine.

As soon as they left I switched to my UDM router. The WAN connection is DHCP but the critical part is you require a VLAN  ID on the WAN connection. A few values have been mentioned on the community here but the only one that would for me is a VLAN ID of 0. Some routers do not support a VLAN ID 0.

I can’t comment on the BT service but presume the same situation, so if that’s what you have someone else will have to assist.

Message 4 of 8

What router have TalkTalk supplied? Hub or eero 6?

We don't know what settings you have set up in your Linksys. So, have you done a factory reset of the Linksys and are you going to tell us what model router it is? My crystall ball has been working overtime lately and is rather foggy at the moment so I cannot see what you see!

The ONT is the Optical Network Terminal - the one you call the FTTP box and TalkTalk call the Fibre Connection box (ONT). It's white for Openreach and Black for CityFibre.

The Full Fibre Support Hub is your go-to resource for information, guides and LiveChat with the Full Fibre Team.

To speak to the Full Fibre team about an order start a LiveChat here:

Full Fibre LiveChat

Full Fibre Support Hub

TIP - Scroll down the Full Fibre Support Hub page to GET IN TOUCH. if you don't see a blue Chat now button then pause tracker blocking in the browser, ad-blockers or similar blocking software to avoid conflict with LiveChat's operation

Opening hours are here:  When to contact TalkTalk?

Calls to the Full Fibre team on 0345 172 0074 are free from a TalkTalk home 'phone but otherwise are at a standard landline call rate or included in your UK mobile allowance.

Full Fibre Help

Full Fibre - Installation

Full Fibre - Set up your Wi-Fi Hub

Full Fibre - Set up your Wi-Fi Hub 2

Full Fibre - ONT Lights Guide

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Chris4k1
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 5 of 8

Thanks for the replies.

@Gondola When doing this would I need to put the talktalk router into bridging mode or do I just switch the WiFi off within the settings to allow my new router to be used as the connection point?

Is there no way to take the authorisation settings from the talktalk router and use them within the new router? Also, what is ONT?

@ferguson thanks for the information,  I was not present for the installation so know little about the setup.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 8

The FTTP box as you call it is just a dumb terminal designed to deliver full fibre broadband to your home. It is completely agnostic as to what equipment you connect to it. Wait and see if other users respond, or reach out to Linksys directly. It may help if you tell us which model you are trying to use. 

0 Likes

Gondola
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 8

If your TalkTalk Full Fibre service is via Openreach FTTP then the service is authenticated by the Openreach ONT serial number. If service is via CityFibre, Community Fibre or Freedom Fibre then authentication is by detecting the TalkTalk supplied router.

So, to get your service authenticated then connect and power up the TalkTalk supplied router. Once activated then you can connect up the Linksys router via the Blue Ethernet / Internet / WAN socket on the Linksys to the ONT.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution