cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Full Fibre 900

Phil63
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 6

I upgraded from 150 to 900, my eero app on my phone shows a maximum download speed of 939, but all the tests on my gaming pc show a maximum of 430, is this normal. pc is approximately 10 feet from the main eero box, another box upstairs. Mobile phone i tested whilst sat in front of the pc to make the test evenly matched.

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 6

Hi @Phil63 

Taking my suggestions further, there are some basic checks that you can do to ensure that your devices have the best chance  of achieving these higher speeds:-

1. Check that these devices are connected to the 5GHz WiFi band, not the 2.4GHz band and as you presumably have the eero Pro 6, then as many devices as possible should be using the 5GHz (High) band.
  2. Which eero Pro 6 is each device connected to, it should always be the gateway or closest/fastest extender node. The more extender nodes that you go through to get to the gateway, the slower the speed will always be. In fact, you will probably need to be connected to the gateway to have any chance of these speeds.
  3. To aid with step 2, is Client Steering enabled within the eero app, as well as Local DNS Caching?
  4. Have you checked for WiFi interference, a topic that I can provide a lot of help with?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 6

Hi @Phil63 

The Full Fibre 900 package often means that customers do achieve the speeds that they think they should (obviously around 900Mbps). This is very often not an issue or design of the 900Mbps service, but the connection between their devices and the router. The Wi-Fi network adapters in these devices often cannot deliver speeds as fast as the fibre service can.

Take the example of some older Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac) adapters that might work at speeds up to 433Mbps, when used in a perfect wireless environment, which most homes are not. When an internet speed test is performed, the speed achieved is down to the slowest link in the chain, namely the 433Mbps Wi-Fi adapter. Speed tests in this case might achieve somewhere around 400Mbps or less.

Older Ethernet connections can suffer as well. If a device only supports the 10/100Mbps standard, not the normal 1000M (1Gbps) or even the newer 2.5Gbps available on some desktop PCs, they are likely to only record 100Mbps on a speed test.

To get the 900Mbps on a speed test, that device must either have a minimum of a 1Gbps Ethernet connection or if wireless, a much faster WiFi adapter. This would be a higher specification Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac) or Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) adapter. Even so, at these wireless speeds, signal quality must be near perfect (signal strength with very little Wi-Fi interference).

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

GenMaxiu
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 6

This is the exact situation I am having with my wifi. No matter what I am just getting 400-500mbps. I do believe this will be the limitation of eero devices, not sure how TalkTalk will get this sorted for me. I have been told 3rd device will improve the speed but I cannot see how this can help as test were done literally a meter away from eero device.

GenMaxiu
0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 5 of 6

Hi Phil63,

What speeds did you get on your mobile phone?

Chris

0 Likes