cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

FullFibre install doesn't work

777GE90
Team Player
Private Message
Message 15 of 15

Last month TalkTalk e-mailed me saying they are going to upgrade my service to Full Fibre at no cost, something I was not so keen on because I already have 3 different connections and now they want to drill another one in, making a fourth.  But I agreed to do so.

Fast forward to last Wednesday (27 Sep) and the City Fibre engineers came and installed the services, then told me to plug it all in to my existing TalkTalk router.  I asked about how to connect the telephone line and they told me to put the RJ12 connector into the RJ45 ethernet ports, which left me a little confused.  They also told me that my new services will only activate 30 mins after they leave.

After they left, I was still without internet but decided to wait a few hours before I called up TalkTalk.  Who then told me I need an Amazon Eero 6 router and that's why it doesn't work.  Not sure why one wasn't shipped out to me before the install then?

Fast forward to today, 2 Oct and I just received the Eero router but it still doesn't work.  I set it up exactly as it says in the guide, but when I try to pair the router with the app, it can't find it, even though the blue light flashes on it (I suspect the problem is there is no internet going to the Eero 6 router).  Additionally, I have no idea where I am supposed to plug in my telephone into this Eero 6 router?

To add insult to injury, I see TalkTalk have now taken the liberty to double my monthly bill.

I'm honestly so lost and disappointed, I thought this was going to be a simple upgrade, but it's turned into compelte chaos that is requiring me to waste many hours of my day contacting TalkTalk and going around in circles.

What do I need to do to get this bloody thing to work and why have my bills gone through the roof?

0 Likes
14 REPLIES 14

Message 1 of 15

Morning,

I've asked the team if they can provide an update on this ASAP.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 2 of 15

Hi Chris / other members, sorry for my frustration, please understand this is not directed at you.

I want to give you a sequence of events as I am literally gob smacked right now.

2 September 2023:

I got an e-mail saying I am being upgraded to Full Fibre, with digital voice, free of charge.

777GE90_0-1696343541366.png

27 September 2023 1PM:

CityFibre installed the services but didn't demonstrate the new services working, I asked how I was supposed to get my telephone services working and the engineer told me to plug my telephone into the Ethernet port (confusing).  Then left saying my services would run 30 mins after he goes.  I also left as I live in a different property.

27 September 2023 5PM:

I drove back to the property to test the services, they still didn't work so I called up TalkTalk to tell them my services still ain't working and I am confused as to how I will plug in my telephone in and get that working.  TalkTalk tells me that I need the Amazon Eero router and that's why it doesn't work.  I stupidly agreed, thinking ofcourse I need a new router as the current TalkTalk router I have doesn't even have a telephone port for VOIP.  I was also told in the meantime to connect up my old services and continue using them, which I did.

30 September 2023:

I call up TalkTalk to ask for updates about the router as I heard nothing since, not even an e-mail confirmation, was told to continue waiting 24-48 hours.  I also tried my TP Link X20 router which is very similar and that didn't work.

2 October 2023:

The router arrives at the wrong address, TalkTalk mixed up my door number from 120 to 102, leaving the delivery man very confused.  Luckily I know the person living at 104 who directed the delivery to the correct address.  I went through all the setup instructions and it just didn't work.

3 October 2023 9AM:

Started live chat and told TalkTalk of issues, ran through many troubleshooting steps and told to wait 60 mins and try again.

3 October 2023 11AM:

Didn't work, run through same / similar troubleshooting steps then told I need an engineer who will arrive 5 October.  I drove off to my other house. 

3 October 2023 1PM:

Engineer turns up at my house, I saw him on my CCTV system so quickly drove to the house.  He checked and confirmed no issue on CityFibre end, 4 green lights on the ONT.

3 October 2023 3PM:

I tell TalkTalk again and they want me to run more troubleshooting steps, I'm not at the property so I haven't done this yet.  However, I called TalkTalk billing department to query why my bills have doubled from £23.98 to £42 a month.  I was told that in no uncertain terms, I agreed to upgrade and sign a new contract for Full Fibre 150 and that this is my new contract price, I was told I am totally mistaken for thinking this was a free upgrade and if I don't want it I now need to cancel my services by contacting the cancellation department and all services will end in 30 days.  WTF???

So to summarise, TalkTalk told me I'm getting a free upgrade, the free upgrade didn't work and has wasted many hours of my time and now I am being told my free upgrade is actually going to cost me twice as much and yes it still doesn't even work.

To answer your question Chris, I have two routers, the old TalkTalk sagecomm without the VOIP phone line port and the Amazon Eero.

Edit Update:

3 October 5PM

I drove down to the house, called TalkTalk to begin troubleshooting.  The adviser was surprised that my old services were still running as my account only shows full fibre 150, he was confused and didn't know what to do.  He put me on hold and after 30 mins cut the call.  I raised a complaint with TalkTalk in regards to this situation.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 15

Hi 777GE90,

Could you just confirm which router you have

Chris

0 Likes

Message 4 of 15

So since 9AM this morning I have been troubleshooting with TalkTalk to no success.  Around 12PM they said they have to send out a City Fibre engineer and booked for 5 Oct so I ended the chat and left the house to another property.  Next thing within 1 hour City Fibre are at my door so I had to rush back there, they checked and confirmed nothing to do with them, all good on their end.

The CityFibre engineer did mention he has had 3-4 other jobs with exact same problem since the weekend and has found that they all needed to first have their old ADSL services disconnected by the ISP before the CityFibre ONT started working.  He advised me to go back to TalkTalk.

I have now started another live chat with TalkTalk and they are not having any of it and getting me to perform all these whacky turn off, reset, etc steps.  When I am already back at my other property so I can't do them at the moment.

Someone, somewhere, has misconfigured this on the TalkTalk side and it seems you guys are clueless on how to resolve it.  I can see you have had these issues since 2021 with other customers.  How is it that bloody 2 years later you still can't get your s*** together???

I'm beyond fed up now.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 15

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that. Our Faults Escalation team are still looking into this so we're hoping to hear back from them soon.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 6 of 15

Just re-tried many times, but still doesn't work.

Even disconnected the DSL router and rebooted the ONT, but it won't work.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 15

Hello,

Thanks for the update and please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 8 of 15

Ok thanks, I spoke to the tech team on live chat this morning and they said my City fibre portal shows an incorrect tag that they have now corrected and asked me to turn off the router for 60 mins and then try again.  So will try again shortly.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 15

Morning,

Ok, thank you for confirming. I've passed this over to our Fault Escalation Team now and we will post back as soon as we receive an update. It's possible that the team may also try and contact you directly.

Thanks

Michelle

Message 10 of 15

No it does not.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 15

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear this. Can I first just confirm, does your connection work if you connect directly at the ONT?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 12 of 15

They like to send the Eero out for all higher speeds, @777GE90.

Many people have had the Eero replaced with Hub2.

If your Sagemcom hasn't got a telephone port, you haven't got a Hub2 - just a hub.

I have a Sagemcom hub for my ADSL.

We are not talking about the same router. But a true Hub 2 has a telephone port, and your old router is just like mine.

Give staff a chance to clarify during the day. 

Hub 2:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Set-up-your-Wi-Fi-Hub-2/ta-p/2791386

Other hub:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Set-up-your-Wi-Fi-Hub-or-Wi-Fi-Hub-Black/ta-p/2200834

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 13 of 15

Well accordingly to TalkTalk the Hub 2 won't work.  Also, the Hub 2 that I have seems to be an older model without the telephone port, it just has a ADSL port.

Also, the ONT has 4 green lights, but I tried to connect to it directly using a windows PC, MacBook, my TP Link X20, etc.  All don't work.  So I suspect this is a profile issue on the TalkTalk side.

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 15

You might be better off with the HUB2 (Sagemcom router) which has a slot for your phone in the back of it, @777GE90.

Staff will guide you through steps to check that the FTTP is up and running correctly. 

Look out for their reply during the day. 

For billing issues, post afresh in that part of the forum. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes