cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Help with OpnSense WAN configuration

chrhel
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 16

Hi All,

I'm hoping for some help.  Having just received Fibre to the Premises over CityFibre I've been trying to configure my OpnSense router to directly connect to the ONT.  I've looked at the guides that suggest VLAN101 etc. with DHCP auth but this isn't working and nothing I do gives me a DHCP address.

The TT supplied router works fine without any issues, but I have my network using VLAN and IDS etc. which the TT router just doesn't cover.  I additionally don't want to chain everything to TT router as it's just effectively doing "modem mode" in old terms.

I've also tried

- configuring my laptop directly with VLAN 101 and plugging into the ONT but again this doesn't give me a Public IP address.

- configuring PFSense

- configuring VyOS

^^ none of the above are able to receive a Public IP address 

I don't suppose there's anyone out there that's solved this, either on PF or OPNsense?

0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15

Message 1 of 16

Hi chrhel,

That's great news, thanks for letting me know 🙂 

Chris

Message 2 of 16

Great news Chris, whatever you did seems to have worked.  I rebooted the router again as it had maintained the local DHCP from the TT-Router and now it's picking up a 78.x talk talk IP.

Interestingly it didn't get the IP address on the WAN VLAN 101 interface but it's picked it up automatically on the WAN interface all the same.

I'm more than happy with the outcome!!

0 Likes

Message 3 of 16
0 Likes

Message 4 of 16

Will do, starting now

0 Likes

Message 5 of 16

When it's convenient could you try switching the ONT off for 30 minutes and then switch back on and retest

Thanks
Chris

0 Likes

Message 6 of 16

Sadly no joy with that one.  Checked the packet cap and I can see the DHCP requests leaving to 255.255.255.67 but not getting a return.

plugged the TT-Router back in for now.

thanks.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 16

I've made the change so could you give it 10 minutes then try the Opnsense router

Chris

0 Likes

Message 8 of 16

OK, I'll make the change now

Chris

0 Likes

Message 9 of 16

Hi Chris, happy to proceed whenever you're ready.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 10 of 16

Hi chrhel,

No, it doesn't really matter which router you have connected when we make the change. Please let me know if you'd like to go ahead

Chris

0 Likes

Message 11 of 16

Hi Chris, sorry for the delay - no joy as of yet.  I tried power cycling the ONT and the Router just to be sure.  In general though it's been plugged in to the TT router.  Would I need to leave my non-TT router directly connected while you try the changes?

thanks.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 16

Hi chrhel,

There's something that I can try, not sure if it will resolve the issue but we can give it a go. There may be a short interruption to your service

Chris

Message 13 of 16

The article hasn't yet been updated to cover the CityFibre network scenario or other alt nets that TalkTalk connect to. CityFibre happen to use router authentication, Openreach Full Fibre use ONT serial number authentication and standard fibre connections use a tag at the street cabinet DSLAM to identify the local connection all in turn ending up with TalkTalk Network authentication at the RADIUS server.

It's just a case of getting the local connection recognised by the TalkTalk Network authentication for your service.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Message 14 of 16

Thanks Gondola, that's very kind.  Info updated in profile.

I'll continue to leave the TT router in-line for now - slightly frustrating that CityFibre tie you to a device, though I suppose without PPPoE credentials it's difficult to determine who is connecting to the network.  If it does turn out to be the case, I'll request this article be updated Set up a non-TalkTalk router - TalkTalk Help & Support

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 16

My understanding is that CityFibre authenticate the connection with the TalkTalk customer by detecting the TalkTalk router connected to the CityFibre ONT.

The fact that the TalkTalk router works and the connection is authenticated is good. Use the supplied router for now.

TalkTalk Support would need to be involved to authenticate a different router so I'll request that intervention for you.

Include in the Community Profile (not in these public posts):

Account holder name, TalkTalk home 'phone number (if not Data Only broadband)

Alternative mobile contact number. Full address with postcode (in the Location box)

Scroll down to Private notes to add the FTTP account number

Check and Save changes

Select here: Update your profile

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution