cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

How can I make 2.4ghz visible when setting up devices on Eero

Eero_Queries
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 33 of 33

Hi. I am new to the blog.  I am trying to set up some 2.4ghz devices and I have done this before but it has been a little ad-hoc by having to use an extender.  Before I temporarily disable 5ghz, the SSID is visible, however when I temporarily disable 5ghz there is no visible wifi network to connect to, therefore without using the ad-hoc method mentioned above (which I don't want to use as it has its own issues), I have no wifi network to connect to.  Is there any way to make this visible or have I inadvertently switched something off on the Eero App? 

It is has been so irritating and I just want to be able to setup my devices seamlessly.

Also, will I have to run this process every time if I unplug a 2.4ghz device such as a baby cam which is on 2.4ghz?   

0 Likes
32 REPLIES 32

Message 21 of 33

Thanks @KeithFrench 

Hi Eero_Queries

Would you like me to send a replacement eero for testing?

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 22 of 33

Hi @Eero_Queries 

Well, there is not much more I can do, let's try a replacement Eero in case your one is faulty. I will ask TalkTalk to arrange this for you.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 23 of 33

Hi @KeithFrench 

As it has worked on the Tapo plugs before and also the baby camera before I assumed it would be to do with the SSID not being visible although I don't think my phone has ever connected on a 2.4GHz so I couldn't say about that.  

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 24 of 33

Normally then, the only other reason that I can think of is that the WiFi adapter in your phone (which is very high spec as far as WiFi is concerned), is set to use the 5GHz band only. This might typically be to only support the WiFi Modes:-

• 802.11ac (WiFi 5)
  • 802.11ax (WiFi 6)

However, please note that 802.11ax will also work in the 2.4GHz band very well (if it was there, that is)! Are there any restrictions like this on your devices by default? If there is, then despite the 2.4GHz band being there, your device would never detect it.

Do you have any older devices that will work in the 2.4GHz band only? If you do & they work OK, it would at least prove that the WiFi band is present.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

Message 25 of 33

@KeithFrench 

Yes legacy mode was already enabled.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 26 of 33

Hi @Eero_Queries 

Have you enabled legacy mode within the Eero app, if not, try doing that.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 27 of 33

Hi @KeithFrench . Thank you for your quick response and a Happy New Year to you.  Sorry if I didn't state it clear enough.

eero Pro 6 with latest software update eeroOS 7.1.1 and is the main and only router which I can only view on phone app.  The WiFi extender is just a unit in the furthest part of my house and I had it before I changed to TalkTalk from VM so is more of a generic legacy device just plugged in if Wi-Fi were to go down.

I do not see the 2.4GHz SSID on my Samsung S22 Plus or in the choice of available networks in the Tapo Setup app.  The same also applies to other devices like my 2.4GHz child monitor when it is in "temporarily disable 5GHz" either.     

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 28 of 33

Hi @Eero_Queries 

Please can you just confirm your setup, is the Eero the main router or just a WiFi extender as per your other post today? If the latter is the case, what make/model of router is your main router? When you do not see the 2.4GHz band, on what sort of device are you monitoring this?

Keith

0 Likes

Message 29 of 33

Hi Michelle, thank you for your response.

I have just responded to @KeithFrench post who will hopefully be able to assist me in resolving my issue. Thank you. Sorry for the delay in responding as the notification was in my spam.

0 Likes

Message 30 of 33

HI Keith

Thank you for your response. Although I understand what you are saying about interference I do not think that is the issue.  I said I had set up before in a ad-hoc way and although it is a wi-fi extender I used it is also a HomePlug which I didn't mentioned in my previous post so technically it is wired up to the hub.  When I originally set up the devices  I am now trying to set up again (Tapo Plugs) I did so without the extender/HomePlug, however, now there is no SSID to connect to when in "temporarily disable 5GHz mode", therefore I can only surmise there is a setting in the Eero Hub that needs to be changed to broadcast the 2.4GHz bandwidth for me to connect to.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 31 of 33

Hi Eero_Queries,

How are you getting on?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 32 of 33

Perhaps the 2.4GHz band is suffering Wi-Fi interference, which is highly likely.

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal or no signal on some or all devices or no internet access might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a byproduct of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results so that I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Whilst the Eero is supposed to manage Wi-Fi interference, if this is very bad, particularly in the 2.4GHz band, then it cannot do anything about it, no router can. The same goes for any router at that point. Other things that may then need to be investigated are its location within your property and the WiFi bands that you use. It is possible that you may also need to purchase additional Eero nodes as it is supposed to operate as part of a mesh system. I can help with any of this. However, I would suggest that you follow my help to find out what the root cause of the problem is, before throwing money at it.

Keith