cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Massive speed drop over last week

ElDaSloth
Popular Poster
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 18 of 18

Had full fibre 65 for 3 years with lovely connection (about 65mbps on ookla). Last week download speed dropped to 10mbps initially and is currently at 3-5mbps (says on your speed check I should get at least 40mbps). Contacted talk talk and they have sent another router (due on the 2nd Jan).

I’m using an ASUS AC-3200 router with a modem attached - I’ll be honest, I don’t know much about the setup as my brother did it for me. Tried rebooting and factory resetting the ASUS router with no luck so I wired up a friends spare talk talk router and experience the same speeds but with intermittent connection loss). ASUS router holds a stable connection so I’ve shifted back to using that temporarily. 

When I go online the connection checker tells me I’m getting 58mbps down the line at the moment but says there’s an issue with my router and device connection (this happens with both routers).

How can I go about getting a visit from an engineer as I’m confident there is something wrong here beyond my reach and knowledge?! Unless someone can think of another step I could try? 

Apologies to you poor souls who read this as I’ve had copious amounts of caffeine today trying to fix it and am at whits end! TIA!

0 Likes
17 REPLIES 17

Message 1 of 18

Hi ElDaSloth

How are you getting on following the engineer visit?

0 Likes

Message 2 of 18
0 Likes

Message 3 of 18

Lovely - thank you Debbie will keep you updated

Message 4 of 18

Hi ElDaSloth

Thanks for your reply.

I have arranged the engineer visit for 04/01 AM (8am - 1pm)

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 5 of 18

Yes please. I’ll be here everyday except Friday PM

Message 6 of 18

Hi ElDaSloth

Would you like me to book the first available visit this week AM and PM? Are there any days you are not free?

0 Likes

Message 7 of 18

Yes please. Can you give any indication of when it might be as I’m off work until next Monday and will need to make sure someone’s here if it’s after that?

Thought I’d add this too as unsure if it will change anything?

I’ve noticed that one of the poles by our house looks as if it is falling over - it’s also the one my line is connected to I believe (see picture). I’ve also highlighted bits where the line seems to be resting on other cables between my house and the pole.

IMG_8030.jpeg
0 Likes

Message 8 of 18

Hi ElDaSloth

Would you like me to arrange an Openreach engineer visit?

0 Likes

Message 9 of 18

Yup - already stated in the posts I’ve tested with a different router and all still connected.

The resets you can see I was told to do by Mary on your online support. Aware they can affect line speed but I’m currently getting 2mbps which is well below my guaranteed 40mbps.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 18

Hi ElDaSloth

The line test is clear - No faults detected ,but I can see re connections on the line and this will affect the sync speed.

Is the router at the test socket at the moment? Have you tested with a different router?

0 Likes

Message 11 of 18

Done - thank you Keith! 

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 18

As the light goes orange, the connection is unstable for some reason. I have asked one of TalkTalk's support to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

They aim to respond within 48 hours (Monday - Friday) excluding Bank Holidays, but if more urgent you can always try the Service Centre on 0345 172 0088. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 13 of 18

Under my package in account is just says Fibre 65.

My brother ordered me the open reach modem - I’m not 100% sure how it’s setup so I’ll double check with him.

Assuming because it has been working for 3 years flawlessly that it’s the correct bit of kit?

0 Likes

Message 14 of 18

You mention an Openreach modem. Which service do you have, exactly? Because Full Fibre would require an ONT rather than a modem. Whereas so-called Fast Fibre will work with an integrated modem/router. 

0 Likes

Message 15 of 18

Sorry forgot the rest! I’ve only got one device wired up and it’s my main desktop.

Wired up with CAT-6 cables but only gets about 3mbps download.

Have tried swapping wires both from desktop to router and from the open reach modem to the router.

0 Likes

Message 16 of 18

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the reply!

When connecting the talk talk router I get the same speeds in the initial dashboard although the upload speed is a bit stronger.

When the intermittent disconnecting happens it shows an orange flashing light on the front

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 18

When using a TalkTalk router, what speeds does this display when logging into it (normally in the initial dashboard area)? When you get an intermittent connection loss what happens to the light on the front of the TalkTalk router?

Is this just wirelessly connected devices that give slow speed test results, or does it also affect wired (Ethernet) connections as well, if you have any?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they?