cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Settings for using 3rd Party Asus Router with FTTP

mikecham48
First Timer
Private Message
Message 4 of 4

Can anybody help wit settings needed to use a 3rd Party Asus Router.

Assume I need my personal settings how do I get them ? And any help with settings on the Asus please.

mikecham
0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3

Message 1 of 4

Hi shooking_sybase

I can see that my colleague Chris has posted on your topic on the Community.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 4

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk 

In your link it seems to say for fibre (and I am a tad confused between FTTC and FTTP requirements):

UsernameWe use automated network authentication so there is no need for a username. You can leave this blank.
PasswordWe use automated network authentication so there is no need for a password. You can leave this blank.
Transfer Mode/Loop EncapsPTM
VLAN ID101
MTU1500
DNSSet as automatic (or similar)
Priority0
Authentication

DHCP/IPoE

I confirmed this morning I can plug a Windows laptop into the ONT and get an IP address / surf the web.

In a nutshell I am cancelling my TalkTalk FTTP because I cannot get on with the Eero.

Peter from customer support said it is Eero or nothing -  I simply asked "are there any specs so I can get a suitable 3rd party modem"  [[aside: I seem to recall you helped community in the past to replace that awful 633 modem with, in my case, an Archer 2800 that drastically improved my TT experience)]]

So are you both right?

You that for some fibre (FTTC but not FTTP) it is possible to use another modem.

And Peter that for VOIP with FTTP you have to use an Eero.

My suspicion is you are right, Peter doesnt understand that TT's VOIP is an Ethernet powered box (which happily works via a 1Gb unmanaged switch).

I did try connecting the Archer via WAN/LAN4 directly to the ONT - didnt like it.

A laptop directly to it give me internet and I can surf the web.

If you can help me to find a spec for suitable replacement router (at my expense of course) I could stay with TT.

But Peter and then even your cancellation folks INSIST for VOIP it has to be Eero ... no thanks.

Best regards

Steve

0 Likes