cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Support for total fibre installation

Susan5050
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 92 of 92

I recently switched over to full fibre and the installation process was an absolute nightmare. One reason being that I didn't realise the BT engineer only brings the fibre line into your home and knows nothing about setting everything up. I found myself with nothing working including my landline which I need as a necessity. An additional problem was that I was sent out a router that didn't have enough ports  I had to pay a company to come out on an emergency basis to get me connected. I did complain and my complaint has been dealt with (not smoothly). 

Anyway even after all that I am considering upgrading to I think it's called total home fibre. Obviously though I wouldn't want the same scenario I've just went through. I'm not technically minded enough to set everything up myself and I am on your vulnerable list so it would be impossible for me to try and do it with phone support from yourselves as my health would cause me difficulties. 

I could be wrong but I was told that other providers offer a full installation service where someone comes out to look at where your second router can go and when it's ordered an engineer visits and makes sure everything is set up and working.  Unless I can have that I can't upgrade as I can't tackle any of it myself. Is something like this not provided if you choose to pay for it? 

0 Likes
91 REPLIES 91

Message 41 of 92

Morning Michelle

I've just noticed that I'm now being told when I try to do a speed test that it needs to be done through the eero app. I'm wondering as if my account doesn't have the correct information that I have a Hub2 not an eero if it's this that's interfering with me being able to check my speed and line ? 

Also ferguson was a great help and advised me if I don't want an adapter on my phone to router what I need is a BT to RJ11 cable he even added a picture. However,when I looked into purchasing one it asked if I wanted a two pin or a four pin. This is something I'm so limited in knowledge about that I don't know which one is suitable. Could you please advise exactly what exact BT -RJ11 cable it is I need to purchase?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 42 of 92

Morning,

Just a quick update to advise that I've chased the team for an update on this for you.

Thanks

Michelle

Message 43 of 92

No problem, I should hopefully hear back soon 🙂

Thanks

Michelle

Message 44 of 92

Thanks for that.

0 Likes

Message 45 of 92

Hello again,

Thanks for the screenshot. I've passed this over to our My Connection team and have asked if they can see any issues as to why the service test or speed test won't complete/run for you. I'll post back as soon as the team respond.

Thanks

Michelle 🙂

Message 46 of 92

Hi Michelle

No I still get the same message picture attached.

Thanks 

Screenshot_20230920-090114.png
0 Likes

Message 47 of 92
0 Likes

Message 48 of 92

Morning Michelle

I go into my account or dashboard to check how my services are running.

When on there if I click on check my line I get the message sorry we have had a problem checking your services.  When I try to do a speed check it is stuck on loading and never goes further. 

All this worked previously and I was told at one point it was because I had changed to fibre and it needed to settle but that's been some time now so should have settled in now I think.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 49 of 92

Morning,

I'm really glad to hear this 🙂 Can I just confirm, do you mean accessing your My Account or using MyConnection?

Thanks

Michelle

Susan5050
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 50 of 92

Hi Ferguson

Thanks for you advice it's appreciated.

Message 51 of 92

If the adapter is working I wouldn't worry too much. But yes, a neater alternative would be a BT to RJ11 cable e.g.

ferguson_0-1695142521347.png

Message 52 of 92

Hi

0 Likes

Message 53 of 92

Hi Chris

Just wondering if I want to purchase a cable to use without the adapter what would it be called?

Is it just BT phone cable with RJ11 ?

Thanks 

0 Likes

Message 54 of 92

Hi Debbie

You may have saw that I've worked the connecting of the phone to the Hub2 with the support of Chris.

The only issue for now is not being able to connect on my account to check my line and I can't do a speed test 

Thanks 

Message 55 of 92

Hi Chris

Can't thank you enough. I have now found what the issue was. At some point the engineer had removed an adapter. I found that (in picture) when looking for another cable and plugged it in so everything working. 

Thanks 😁

Screenshot_20230919-153809.png

Message 56 of 92

Ok thanks Susan. The telephone cable that came with your phone will have the standard BT connector on one end and probably an rj11 on the other as the cables generally connect to the phone with an rj11

Chris

Message 57 of 92

Hi Chris

Thanks for clarifying this for me that explains why it's not fitting. 

I don't think I do have another cable I will need to have a look. With all the change around of routers I have a lot a cables. At least now I know I'm looking for something other than trying to get the RJ11 to fit.

At one point a BT engineer fitted a box on the wall and I think that's when cables may have been changed.  I will have a look and post back.

Many thanks 

0 Likes

Message 58 of 92

Hi Susan5050,

The green phone port on the wifi hub 2 is a standard telephone port, this is the same socket as the one on a standard telephone wall socket and should be the same as the cable supplied with your phone. The clear connecter plugged into the grandstream is an RJ11. Do you have another short cable with the standard BT connection?

Chris

Message 59 of 92

Hi Debbie

Went into a shop today and they couldn't understand what it was I needed to fit the port they said all phones are the same as the one's I have.

The pictures show what the engineer did. As you will see the phone line port on the voice box is different from the Hub2 phone port. I've taken a picture of the phone connection unplugged and placed it on top of the voice box and it's totally different to what would fit in the hub 2 port. 

The engineer said he didn't have a clue so I'm not sure if he has plugged things in wrong. I can send more pictures if it helps?

Thanks 

Screenshot_20230919-135717.pngScreenshot_20230919-135705.pngScreenshot_20230919-135653.png
0 Likes

Message 60 of 92

Hi Susan

Are your phones all linked to the one base station? If you could try connecting the main phone at the voice port at the back of the router when you have a chance and let us know if there is a dial tone please?

Thanks