cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Total Home WiFi

Jeggers
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 43 of 43

A Full Fibre 150 upgrade was installed at my home one week ago incorporating a single Eero router but with subsequent mixed speed results at both router position and workstation positions - two devices much improved and two devices hardly improved from previous Fibre 65 installation.

TalkTalk technicians have made several attempts to improved the installation but with little success and are suggesting an upgrading to Total Home WiFi.

What is not clear to me is whether such upgrade, having two additional Eero units sited at workstations, will give me, at best, simply the same ratings as currently received at the incoming router location or do they somehow boost the signal reaching the workstations to give me nearer to what I was expecting on all devices.

Put another way, would I be wasting my money on upgrading wifi as opposed to buying some newer devices?

More generally, is Total Home WiFi a successful and useful upgrade?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Geoff.
0 Likes
42 REPLIES 42

Jeggers
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 41 of 43

Many thanks for your prompt reply and I would appreciate access to the guide mentioned in due course.

What I meant with regard to the devices is that, directly in front of the Eero router, an Acer tablet and a Xiaomi Redmi Note mobile phone receive speeds in excess of 150Mbps and also both achieve those speeds at workstations some 8 metres from the router. However, a Lenovo laptop and a Samsung Galaxy A20E each register only around 30-35Mbps in front of the router and around-30Mbps at the relevant workstations given above. All above devices have WiFi 4 standards 802.11n or 802.11a/b/g/n whatever that means as I have only limited tech knowledge. The Eero appears to work fine with some devices but not with others which suggests that the the problem may be with those devices?

I look forward to you response.

Geoff.
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 42 of 43

I am not sure what you mean by:-

"two devices much improved and two devices hardly improved from previous Fibre 65 installation"  ?

However, I would not spend any money at all, without first investigating the root cause of the problem. This is an area where I can help a lot.

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal or no signal on some or all devices or no internet access might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a byproduct of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results so that I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Whilst the Eero is supposed to manage Wi-Fi interference, if this is very bad, particularly in the 2.4GHz band, then it cannot do anything about it, no router can. The same goes for any router at that point. Other things that may then need to be investigated are its location within your property and the WiFi bands that you use. It is possible that you may also need to purchase additional Eero nodes as it is supposed to operate as part of a mesh system. I can help with any of this. However, I would suggest that you follow my help to find out what the root cause of the problem is, before throwing money at it.

The information below is provided by TalkTalk, for confirmation please contact @Debbie-TalkTalk or@Michelle-TalkTalk.

KeithFrench is one of our valued Community Stars and can help with a range of issues related to wireless and networking. At times he may ask you to send him test results via a Private Message to help analyse/diagnose an issue. Although Keith does not work for TalkTalk, he very kindly shares his time and knowledge to help with others.

If you need further help or, if we need to take any details such as personal information about your account like phone numbers, account numbers etc. one of the TalkTalk team will jump in and help out.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes