cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Upgrade to Full Fibre 150 this week, even slower then before

Tracy-TC
Popular Poster
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 16

Hello

We upgraded to full fibre 150 on Monday of this week. Engineer called and installed a new Openreach box but due to us being in a terrace house and our main living area is at the back, to avoid cables all over the place the Engineer installed the box in my daughters bedroom at the front of the house.

Stupidly later that day we expected a vast difference in speed, however when carrying out a speed test the download speed was between 34-44 mbps and upload speed 29.7 mbps. As the down load speed was no where near the minimum 120mbps they quoted I contacted Talk Talk on the Live Chat. One and a half hours later and after several resets of the hub we are now left with two network connections (our previously own named one) and the original Talk Talk one.  We ere advised to use the original network as this had been reset during the hub reset. That is ok and speed increased to 120 mbps when in my daughters bedroom, however when you go down stairs and into the living room where the TV and my works pc are, this network is not strong enough to even appear on the list, so we are still having to use the old one.

The whole reason for getting this upgrade was so I could use it downstairs for work and the kids could use it on the telly for downloading and playing games.

I cant face going through another live chat so does anyone have any experience on what to do next PLEASE ....... I haven't even set up the EEro box yet as I am too scared this will slow it down even more.

Please help me as I am not all that clued up as you can probably tell.

Many thanks

TC

0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15

Message 1 of 16

Hi Tracy,

Ok thanks for confirming. Would it be possible to try connecting the eero to see how this compares please?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 2 of 16

There is no landline now as we went for broadband only with the upgrade but I have put my account number on.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 16

Sorry, probably me being a bit thick, bit no, I still don't really know what you mean. Could you add your TalkTalk landline telephone number or account number to your community profile and I'll take a look at your account

Chris

0 Likes

Message 4 of 16

When I go upstairs near the router on my mobile it shows the network for which we changed the name of due to confusion with the neighbours and also the one on the back of the router (TalkTalkXXXXXX). This only happened after I was asked to stick a pin in the back of the router and re-set it yesterday.  The TalkTalkXXXXX has the faster down load speed but can not be located by the tv and my works pc downstairs. Does this make any sense to you?

0 Likes

Message 5 of 16

Thanks for trying. Sorry, what do you mean by the old one?

0 Likes

Message 6 of 16

Ok due to the length of the cable I have moved the router to the other side of my daughters bedroom (more in the middle of the house instead of on a outside wall) and I have just tried to connect my works pc up to the other network and it still does not show up in the available networks (however the old one is still there).

0 Likes

Message 7 of 16

Are able to move the router to slightly different location and check to see if this makes any difference to the signal downstairs

0 Likes

Message 8 of 16

No, the radiator is on the same wall as the router (underneath) and the router is now in the first floor bedroom at the front of the house, and we can not pick up the network downstairs on the ground floor in the living room or conservatory which is at the back of the house (the most furthest point from the router) but it is not a large house, only a 2 bed mid terrace.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 16

Does it look as though the radiator is between the router and the room where the speeds are lower than expected?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 10 of 16

The router is on the window sill facing into the bedroom however there is a gas radiator below the window and slightly to the side.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 16

Thanks. Is the router in the bedroom close to any large metal objects such as a radiator, or located behind something that could be blocking the wifi signal?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 12 of 16

In my living room downstairs.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 16

OK thanks. Where was the router situated before you upgraded to FF150?

0 Likes

Tracy-TC
Popular Poster
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 16

Fibre 65 and my original router and tv box is about 5 years old.

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 15 of 16

Hi Tracy,

Which package did you have before you upgraded to FF150?

Chris

0 Likes