cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Upgraded from UFO to Fibre 900 - Contract start unclear - speed not meeting minimum guarantee

hpgsmith
Participant
Private Message
Message 14 of 14

Hi - I've been with TalkTalk for several years with UFO  in York, but was told that it is ending on 29th May. So on the 2nd May I arranged with TT customer service for the deal I was offered by email - 18 month Fibre 900 contract on offer at £39.99 with first three months free. I was told by the TalkTalk rep that Cityfibre would need to upgrade with new fibre and I would get increased speed. The engineer from Cityfibre came last Friday and installed a new modem into the UFO hub box, it took 20mins. My speed with UFO has been stable at about 200-260 mbps over 5ghz. After the Cityfibre upgrade, the speed has remained the same, tested with TT Sagecom and the supplied new Eero Pro 6. I've tested speed just now on the TalkTalk site and it's 185 Mbps download 326 Mbps upload.  My Fibre 900 contract states a minimum guaranteed speed of  725 mbps. So obviously I am concerned that I could now be paying more per month from £36 to £39.95 for no speed increase. Is my Fibre 900 service yet to start? Is there an issue with my fibre supply or is their another system action required to give me my guaranteed Fibre 900 minimum speed at 725mbps? I was emailed two contract PDFs, but with no Fibre 900 start date. I have not had had any email or change made to my account confirming the contract and price change - and there is still the splash screen warning of my UFO service ending 29th May. Reading various forum threads there seems to be a lot of confusion about UFO ending, what's actually on offer and technically achievable.  Please advise, thanks.

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Message 1 of 14

Morning,

Thanks for the update 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 14

Update - I've speed tested via my desktop PC and cobbling together ethernet cables to reach the router downstairs. Happy to report have 940 mbps download which is good news. No further help needed here thanks 👍🙂

0 Likes

Message 3 of 14

The support team can advise on the speed you are actually getting to your router via the ONT. As I said, all you are testing is WiFi speed which can be affected by many variables, including the wireless card on your desktop. 

0 Likes

Message 4 of 14

Thanks. According to TT Speed Test advice drop down faq, it reflects line speed - "We measure line speed by checking how long it takes for the connection to sync from our exchange to your router."  I've thoroughly retested on 5ghz with all connected wifi networked kit switched off and I'm getting approx 360mbps download on 5ghz to my desktop 10m from the router. All City Fibre did for the Fibre 900 upgrade was install a new ONT unit which the engineer said was a standard kit upgrade. I've reset ONT just for good measure and no increase in speed. 

0 Likes

Message 5 of 14

OK, but from where I'm sitting that just tells us your wireless throughput speed. I have given this a gentle nudge for the support team to advise further. 

0 Likes

Message 6 of 14

Yes I can but I only have a laptop with 10/100 ethernet port so too slow to test. But, I've now changed over on my account to Fibre 900 and found I can now run a speed test from the TT page and I'm averaging 450mbps download over last few days, which is short of the 750 minimum advised. I'll report it on chat.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 14

Are you able to test with a wired connection?

0 Likes

hpgsmith
Participant
Private Message
Message 8 of 14

Just updating this -I have had email and account confirmation that my Fibre 900 service has started, however there's no change in speed, currently 200-250mbps as it's always been, so not near the minimum of 750 mbps as stated on my contract. 

0 Likes

Message 9 of 14

Yes, all fine now! 😊

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 10 of 14

Many thanks - I've updated my profile with landline and Ac number, it lokked like it saved. 

0 Likes

Message 11 of 14

@hpgsmith, there's still no symbol to indicate that whatever you put in Personal Information has been saved.

Staff can't identify your account. 

Did you put a landline number in or an account number and save changes?

I should be able to see a symbol by your name if that's been done correctly and it is not showing. 

I have made sure that this thread is in the queue for attention. Your other ones both received replies from staff.

0 Likes

hpgsmith
Participant
Private Message
Message 12 of 14

Hello - thank you for your reply. I have updated my profile after the engineer turned up. My original thread was simply about the lack of comms re the engineer appointment which was subsequently resolved the day before. I posted on two threads as it was both a UFO and Fibre issue and UFO posts have proved sonewhat unresponsive. I appreciate your advice thank you, but just to say that in my recent experience with the TalkTalk UFO to Fibre transition communication and admin processing has been less than impressive. As you can see by my latest post, which is a new thread because it is about different issues which are contractual and technical. 

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 14

@hpgsmith, Arne offered to help you on both your threads earlier in the week, but nothing could be done, as you have not completed your community forum profile details as asked!

One of your threads is here:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Fibre/UFO-ending-switch-to-Fibre-900-no-news-re-installation/td-...

You can keep track of your threads by looking in your Profile area and clicking on the ACTIVITY tab. 

Please just stick to one thread for your issue, as it can duplicate the work on the forum etc if you post new topics every time. 

You have to complete your community forum profile details for TT staff to identify your account. 

Go via your avatar/name; settings; Personal Information. SAVE CHANGES. 

Staff are not on here at weekends. Please look out for their response Monday to Friday. 

0 Likes