cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

WiFi keeps dropping out on iPhone

Niro24
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 8

This problem started a couple of years ago when I purchased an iPhone 12 mini. The phone kept losing connection to the internet whilst still showing Wi-Fi connected.  I had to keep toggling Wi-Fi off & on to restore connection.  In the house was 2 users of Samsung phones that never experienced any problems at all.  I spent a good few hours with Apple experts trying to sort the problem out, but never really getting to the bottom of the problem. It did seem to settle down on its own eventually until recently when it started happening again.  I was on TT Fibre 65 until last week when I was upgraded to City Fibre 150 FTTP complete with new Sagemcom Fast 5464-2.T4 router. I was optimistic that it might cure the problem but alas it is still happening.  Now whenever the phone is woken from a locked screen it always defaults to 5g mobile data, until I use the phone and it eventually reverts to Wi-Fi.  Not sure if anyone can throw any light on this, I am aware of other people having similar problems with iPhones.

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

Message 1 of 8

I appreciate you trying to help.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 8

Hmm, OK, I'm a bit stumped then, especially as other mobile devices seem to be connecting. Sorry.  😕

0 Likes

Message 3 of 8

Yes I’d already tried turning Wi-Fi assist off on my phone, but the phone is nearly always on mobile data when waking the phone up. If I turn mobile data off completely then the phone is not connected at all until I go to read an email or open an app and then it connects to Wi-Fi.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 8

One more thought. If you go iPhone Settings > Mobile Service and scroll down you will see something called Wi-Fi assist. Try turning that off. 

0 Likes

Message 5 of 8

Yeah, that's what I meant. The only other thing I can think of is splitting the SSIDs to see if forcing the iPhone to connect to the 5GHz band alone may help. 

0 Likes

Message 6 of 8

Hi, thanks for the advice, tried that although the setting for 2.4GHz  bandwidth was already on 20MHz if that’s what you were referring to?  (I’m a bit of a novice when it comes to router settings) 

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 8

Try switching channel bonding off on the 2.4GHz band in the router settings i.e. select 20 MHz only, see if that helps.

0 Likes