NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Your Own Router

mtlevy
Participant
Message 9 of 9

Hi all,

Installation is due in a week, and I'm looking to keep my current router, and just shift it in to bridged mode. 

I've got a TP-Link VR900, and one the reasons I want to keep it is the fact it has multiple ethernet ports (I currently have my TV, my Xbox and a powerline adapter plugged into it), and I know the Eero only has 2 ports, one of which is needed to connect to the fibre modem.

I know i could use the eero, and plug in a small switch, but I'd rather stick with one device rather than two.

Anyone tried this?

Cheers

Matt, IT Pro (20-odd years poking at various technical bits), Gamer, Drinker of fine Real Ale
0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

Fad2009
Enlightened One
Message 1 of 9

That's a pain, the vr900 does appear to have a gigbit wan port - so presumably is capable of handling the fttp speeds.

I'm not particularly techie when it comes to routers, once set up I like to forget they`re there [until they go wrong] so can't offer any advice.

I did need to replace one cable though as it was quite old, possibly faulty and wasn't up to the job - I replaced them all with newer to rule out any future issues with them.

The Asus modem/router I got only about a month prior to choosing full fibre as my old 5yo router was really starting to show problems with dropouts and general oddness - otherwise I would have just got a router rather than modem/router but it works OK.

I did do a full reset eventually and went through the setup procedure and made sure nothing was affecting the connection, QOS etc and went through all the settings manually.

Sorry yours isn`t performing properly but I can`t think of what to suggest but I know it's annoying and frustrating.

mtlevy
Participant
Message 2 of 9

well, i managed to get it working....eventually. And not particularly well.

On average i was only getting 20-25% of the speed i was seeing on the eero, so 

its going to be a backup router for now. 

Mildly annoying - running a couple of extra devices over WiFi now (i do have a wee noddy switch i could

use, but thats just yet another device plugged in, so no. at least for now.)

Matt, IT Pro (20-odd years poking at various technical bits), Gamer, Drinker of fine Real Ale
0 Likes

Fad2009
Enlightened One
Message 3 of 9

I was worried at first but got my Asus (DSL-AX82U) working OK after altering a couple of settings I didn`t know existed as it was still quite new to me.

Similar problem - needed more ports...and control.

Full speeds with no issues at all (which was fortunate as I couldn't even get the eero to set up at all !)

Message 4 of 9

no worries @bigkenny - thats the sorta mistake i make most days....

cheers

Message 5 of 9

Yes sorry about that yes it was for normal FTTC setup (router) and as others say for your FTTP connection just link to WAN port.

I just sent it not realising it was a FTTP question, sorry again

ferguson
Community Star
Message 6 of 9

@mtlevy I think it is @bigkenny who is misunderstanding.

If your router has a WAN port then you should be OK connecting the ONT directly to that. 

mtlevy
Participant
Message 7 of 9

Thanks for the response Kenny.

As far as i can tell though, those instructions are for ADSL or FTTC, not FTTP.

Unless I'm completely misunderstanding them, of course 🙂

0 Likes

bigkenny
Enlightened One