cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

Buzzing on calls

JanetJC
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 22 of 22

There is a buzzing on my landline on every call, heard by me and the person I'm speaking with, which quickly gets louder as the call progresses. It's been going on for weeks and is very annoying! Thank you.

Janet Clark
0 Likes
21 REPLIES 21

Message 1 of 22

Hi JanetJC,

Thanks for updating your profile. Line test is now passing, is you router and telephone still connected to the test socket?

Chris

0 Likes

JanetJC
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 22

I already did add it, but had to log on with my mobile as the internet wasn't working - your dumb website updated my Talk Talk landline phone number with my non-Talk Talk, private mobile number!

Janet Clark
0 Likes

Message 3 of 22

Hi JanetJC,

Can you please add your TalkTalk landline telephone number or account number to your community profile and we'll run a line test

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

JanetJC
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 22

Okay, I'll do that now from 14:15 for an hour or so as we're going to be out

Janet Clark
0 Likes

Message 5 of 22

Better to leave the phone / router / microfilter plugged in at the test socket until you hear back from staff, @JanetJC.

Can you use mobile data for a bit if you need the Internet meanwhile, and to check for replies?

I'll re-escalate this thread  - this will keep it in the queue for updates etc.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

JanetJC
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 22

The problem isn't fixed - what now?

Janet Clark
0 Likes

JanetJC
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 22

So, what should I do now?

Janet Clark
0 Likes

JanetJC
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 22

So I had to reconnect it as it was originally done so I could reply to this thread.

Janet Clark
0 Likes

JanetJC
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 22

I did as you said and the internet showed as connected but all of the appliances had no internetWeixin Image_20240801112532.jpgWeixin Image_20240801112549.jpgWeixin Image_20240801112555.jpg

Janet Clark
0 Likes

Message 10 of 22

Hi Janet,

Thank you. Once the faceplate is unscrewed and lifted slightly then the front of the socket faceplate will no longer work until it's re-connected again. 

Would it be possible to connect the microfilter, router and the phone at the test socket for 15 minutes so we can re-run the line test again please? Testing at the test socket will just eliminate any possibly issues with the faceplate or any internal wiring.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

JanetJC
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 22

Yes, I unscrewed the faceplate and lost internet connection so screwed it back on. 

Yes, there is a small box between the phone cable and the socket.

Janet Clark
0 Likes

Message 12 of 22

Hi,

Did you mean that you can unscrew the faceplate? I've included a guide for a microfilter below, this is what would connect the phone and the router at the test socket.

Your guide to microfilters - TalkTalk Help & Support

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

JanetJC
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 22

The faceplate has screws which I can unscrew, between the phone line and the socket is a router so I guess I'm testing that. No idea what a microfilter is?

Janet Clark
0 Likes

Message 14 of 22

Just to add, there is also a video in the Help Guide.

Thanks

Michelle 🙂

0 Likes

Message 15 of 22

Hi,

If your socket is a NTE5 then this should have a test socket as per the help guide pictures.

Here’s how to connect your router to your test socket:

Carefully unscrew the faceplate on your main phone socket with a screwdriver. If your main phone socket doesn't have screws, squeeze the sides of the faceplate to detach it
Now gently pull the faceplate towards you
With the faceplate removed, you'll see the test socket inside. It looks similar to the phone port on the front of your main phone socket but without the sliding cover
If you're testing your router, plug a microfilter into the test socket
Then plug your router's grey broadband cable into the microfilter's ADSL/DSL port

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

JanetJC
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 22

What?!

Janet Clark
0 Likes

Message 17 of 22

Hi Janet,

Thank you for checking and confirming. Would it be possible to connect the microfilter, router and phone directly at the test socket behind the faceplate so we can re-run the line test again in this set up?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

JanetJC
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 18 of 22

It's an NTE5 for the main phone of the house, and there are non-NTE sockets elsewhere - all BT branded

Janet Clark
0 Likes

Message 19 of 22

Hi,

Thanks for the additional information. I've included a Help Guide below,

Your guide to main phone sockets - TalkTalk Help & Support

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

JanetJC
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 20 of 22

Thanks for your swift reply, the phone now keeps on cutting off calls since it started raining - coincidence maybe?

What is a test socket?

Janet Clark
0 Likes