cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

Crackling on landline confirmed using TalkTalk tools

Crackle170224
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 89 of 89

There is crackling on the landline, running a TalkTalk test confirms this and a reference is generated. The recent visit of an Openreach engineer confirmed the crackling in on the line not in my head. At the start of the month this crackling overwhelmed the landline and after a snapping sound the call terminated. When the caller tried again their voice was distorting/echoing. TalkTalk website confirmed there was a fault on the landline.

The fault persists, I am using a new phone - it is not a cordless one. It is directly connected to the Openreach 5C master socket which has a new faceplate fitted by a Qube GB engineer.

The crackling continues when the electrical supply to the house is off.

A fresh test yesterday indicated a fault with the landline, there has not been an update for 24 hours.

I spent a long time on Live Chat as I was requested to do so, a test by the agent warned me it might last 20 minutes. The results of this test were to be included with the notes on my account.

Three weeks since the initial complaint - anyone with poor mental health would be put at risk by these circumstances.

I live in an area with a poor mobile phone signal, 28% again today. A landline is very important, to be able to hear and be heard is also important.

There have been landline faults here since I switched to TalkTalk six years ago.

0 Likes
88 REPLIES 88

Message 1 of 89

Hello,

Unfortunately we don't have any raw line test data that we can provide. Both line tests show the below. The connection looks stable since 13/03 and there are no errored seconds on the line. I can't see the SNR.

- service test completed and no fault found and Line Test OK (In and Out)

When the online line test is completed it will open a fault ticket regardless of what fault is detected. If it detects a line fault then it will pass it straight out to Openreach for an external line investigation. If it detects no fault or a possible internal fault then it will also create a ticket as further diagnostics are required and you should be contacted by our faults team once they pick up the ticket. I agree that the wording is a bit confusing as it implies that a fault has been found.

As you've advised that the crackling is still present then the only option we have from here is to arrange an engineer visit to the property. If you'd like to go ahead with this then please provide a few days availability and also confirm acceptance of possible time related engineer charges as per our engineer policy.

Alternatively I can pass this over to our Faults Escalation Team and ask them to contact you directly?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 2 of 89

Hello Michelle,

Is 0800 9555 544 a TalkTalk phone number? I suspect a scam but Google suggests calls from this number are from TalkTalk marketing.

In earlier posts this weekend I describe other faults with the TalkTalk website tools and would welcome your comments on them.

I have previously asked for the raw data produced by the line tests run by TalkTalk. Is it available to you? If yes, please share with it me.

I am particularly interested in the signal to noise ratio on my landline.

Openreach tried to convince me the landline was okay by asking me to listen to the engineer's handset on its loudspeaker, I heard a lot of noise but it was certainly not clear. Then an old domestic cordless phone was brought in from the van, it produced a continuous crackling noise! This engineer also showed me the request made by TalkTalk to visit my home, it was very prejudicial.

The questions I have asked about the broadband dropping connection remain. How many times a day is reasonable?

0 Likes

Message 3 of 89

Good morning,

I'm sorry for the delay. I've re-run both line tests now which are clear. If the crackling is still present at the test socket with 2 different routers then we'll need to arrange an engineer visit to the property. Would you like to go ahead with this?

When a line test is completed online then it will automatically generate a fault ticket even if no fault has been found as the ticket will advise that further testing is required.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 4 of 89

Hello,

I ran the My Telephone test using the TalkTalk website tools

xxxxxx

I have never complained about the wifi.

As a clear fault has not been identified does it mean there is a fault with the landline that is unclear?

I was using the My Telephone test from the TalkTalk website tools.

Are the TalkTalk website tools not to be trusted? Are they faulty?

What does "We 

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 89

Crackling often indicates line problems that affect the Internet connection, @Crackle170224.

Staff will follow up during the week. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Crackle170224
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 89

Hello,

Another example of the TalkTalk website tools not working. Although this post is in Home Phone this is because TalkTalk thought it would be confusing if I had more than one on the go.

This example is MY SPEED

MySpeedTestMySpeedTest

TestProblemTestProblem

Are the tests on the TalkTalk website not working because there is a fault on my landline?

In case the obsession with the new BT Big Button 200 phone is about to be mentioned [a new phone solely powered by the landline bought after the continuous crackling on the landline was reported 1 February 2024] it was not connected today.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 89

Hello,

Is there no one from TalkTalk available to help me with the problem of TalkTalk website tools still not working? TalkTalk has asked me to use these tools. As TalkTalk does not believe/trust me I must comply - this complaint is taking too long [it dates from 1 February 2024]. Please may I have the full cooperation of the TalkTalk Community?

Further visits by Openreach would be unwise as I suspect the problem is with TalkTalk, hence I use the TalkTalk website tools when they are available. TalkTalk should believe/trust the TalkTalk website tools surely? 

0 Likes

Crackle170224
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 89

Hello,

TalkTalk Website tools still not working - why?

YouhavenotusedanydataYouhavenotusedanydata

I have not been away, I have been using data. Another example of the TalkTalk Website tools not working.

I have repeatedly asked questions about this topic but have received no answers.

Please find more examples in my previous posts - there are many of them and many unanswered questions are not yet answered.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 89

Hi Crackle,

If you can still hear the crackle with two different handsets when connected to the test socket then we can arrange another engineer visit. If you'd like us to do this please let us know

Regarding the questions, could you please post them again and I'll answer them if I can

Chris

0 Likes

Message 10 of 89

LaterthesamedayLaterthesameday

0 Likes

Message 11 of 89

LinetestLinetest

0 Likes

Message 12 of 89

Hello Michelle,

I realise TalkTalk does not believe/trust me so I use the TalkTalk website tools when they are available.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 89

Hello Michelle,

I was answering the question about the phones. Those questions have been asked before and answered before.

Why are my questions to TalkTalk not answered?

The answers would help me with any future visits by Openreach, I need to be certain the faults are not with the TalkTalk equipment.

0 Likes

Message 14 of 89

Morning,

Apologies, which question did you mean?

Please can you provide a few days availability AM and PM and we'll book this visit in for you. Could you also confirm acceptance of possible time related charges if the engineer is unable to locate a fault or finds the fault located on your own equipment. If the fault is found on Openreach equipment then no charges would apply.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 15 of 89

Yes.

0 Likes

Message 16 of 89

Hello Michelle,

Why are my questions not answered?

0 Likes

Message 17 of 89

Morning,

I'm really sorry to hear this. If the crackling is still present at the test socket with 2 different handsets then the only option we have is to arrange an engineer visit to the property. If you'd like to go ahead with this then please can you provide a few days availability AM (8-1) and PM (1-6) and we'll book in the first available visit for you. Please can you also confirm acceptance of the possible time related charges if no fault is found or the fault is located on your own equipment.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 18 of 89

Hello Chris,

Mention int he last reply of the Openreach engineer possibly blaming the internal wiring of my home  suggests I have not made it clear that it was completely rewired in 2017 - sorry.  The continuous crackling noise on the landline also occurs when the electricity to the house is turned off at the consumer board. This occurs also when the new BT Big Button 200 phone is used, this phone is solely powered by the landline, the internal batteries having been removed.

Openreach has reported no evidence of Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise [REIN]. I saw no evidence of how that conclusion was reached.

During a previous problem with the landline, REIN was discussed by Openreach engineers but not followed up as their was only one engineer in the area doing that testing.

Using a car battery and an inverter to power the original phone also produces a constant crackling on the landline.

The constant crackling noise on the landline has been heard by Openreach engineers and a Qube GB engineer.

Switching the leads that connect these phones to the Openreach Master Socket 5C test socket does not stop the constant crackling noise on the landline.

A domestic phone brought to my house by the last Openreach engineer also produced the continuous crackling noise on the landline.

When Openreach failed to find the source of the constant crackling noise on the landline and blame the End Consumer it would be helpful if TalkTalk the Communications Provider would question why? Perhaps Openreach needs to try harder? Perhaps the fault is with TalkTalk equipment at the exchange.

I pay TalkTalk, TalkTalk pay Openreach, I am receiving a landline service described by Openreach as okay. Note, not as Excellent, Good, Fair but as okay.

Perhaps I misunderstand when I renewed in September 2023 that this was the standard of service to be accepted?

0 Likes

Message 19 of 89

Hello Chris,

TalkTalk knows much more than the reply suggests. For example it knows what I have reported,  I am an experienced TalkTalk customer, I switched in 2018 and have the badge to prove it.

There is also what the TalkTalk website tools  indicate and the reports generated. I have produced screenshots in case TalkTalk do not believe me.

Leaving me as piggy in the middle between TalkTalk and Openreach is unhelpful.

0 Likes

Message 20 of 89

Hello Chris,

I am sorry that I have again failed to make myself clear to you.

I do not know the broadband speed I am receiving as the Speed Test part of the TalkTalk website tools still does not work as shown below.

Is there a problem with my landline preventing this test from working?

In case the obsession with the new BT Big Button 200 phone arises please note that this phone was not connected to the Openreach Master Socket 5C.

Is there a problem with the TalkTalk website tools? 

Speedtest080324Speedtest080324

0 Likes