cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

Landline Down

WysallRover
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 13

Hi.

I received a text recently notifying me of planned work to swap out equipment at local exchanges on 2nd September and that my services would be disrupted for no more than 2 hours between 8:00am - 6:00pm.

Later on that day, I noticed my landline was disconnected. I was expecting it to happen. However, it did not reconnect by 6:00pm. I decided to leave it overnight in case work at the exchange was overrunning. I did though perform an online test on my connection that evening which initially indicated a potential problem.

The next morning I received a text saying that testing on my connection showed that "everything appears to be running smoothly within the network".

I then initiated a long live chat with Anas, who was very patient and helpful in trying to identify the problem and find a solution. Unfortunately, it seems the system shows no fault on my line, thereby indicating a fault at my end.

Having had problems long ago in the past, I performed all the usual required checks (before live chat, and during), connecting to the master socket etc., with no change. I do realise that all possibilities need to be covered, but the fact is that nothing has changed with my set up and I am just going through the same checks over and over. Equipment and settings are exactly the same as they were on the morning of the 2nd and remain that way, apart from the tests carried out since.

I find it difficult to accept that the fault lies with my set up, as the issue has only arisen on the day work was carried out at the exchange. It is too much of a coincidence. As the assumption is the fault lies with my set up, the only other option is to book an engineer visit (£75 but refundable if the fault is found to be outside the property).

I do have a working internet connection with an isolated incidence where email would time out after a few seconds and require logging back in. It only happened once on the day and there have been no problems with that since.

So, the fault I have is that I have no dial tone, so cannot call a number. Trying to call my landline does give a ringing tone but the phone does not ring here.

I have spent much of today checking and rechecking, to no avail.

I have also attempted to use the Grandstream HT801 provided (but not used for some time) to establish a connection for the landline. Unfortunately, the unit will not register, despite numerous resets. Information elsewhere here in the Community suggests that it is locked to TalkTalk, so cannot be accessed, either by IVR or the WEB UI to change any settings. Trying to use the IVR just brings the "device not registered" message and then an engaged tone. Likewise, trying to dial out.

Any suggestions you have or further investigations you can do will be gratefully received and go some way to easing my frustration with the situation.

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12

Message 1 of 13

Hi Chris,

Thanks for arranging that. I've confirmed the booking from my end.

I'm afraid I have no link for those posts. The log in procedure was changed and when I tried to update, the system would not recognise my username, saying no spaces allowed. At that point I had to create a new profile (same name without a space) as I was effectively locked out of the original.

If there is a secure way to send you the pdf of the contract I will do that if it's any help.

I've just done a search for my original username (with the space) and it is in the system, showing how many posts I had made, and the likes I recieved. However, I can't find any way of reading the posts. Maybe you can find a way in to read them.

Garry

0 Likes

Message 2 of 13

Hi Garry,

I've booked the first available afternoon appointment - September 17 2024, PM - please let us know how you get on.

Apologies, I can't find the previous discussion, do you have a link?

Chris

0 Likes

WysallRover
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 13

Hi Chris.

I can be available for an engineer visit afternoons between 13:00 and 18:00, with one exception being 2nd October. I agree to any possible charges arising from the visit.

Just an extra piece of information regarding the checks I have done here. I have now tried three different telephones connected to the master (test) socket with the same results.

Before we go ahead with the fibre installation could you check something for me please? As I have said, the original install couldn't be done because of issues with the location of the incoming fibre connection. At the time, here on the community pages, I had a discussion about how to proceed. As I understood it, I would be charged for a fibre installation, even without one. I agreed to this at the time as it seemed the easiest way to get things settled, and I have no problem with that. If that is the case, then completing the fibre installation would not technically be an upgrade.

Since then I have had to create a new profile and user name because changes to the log in procedure caused a problem, so if you need to check those posts you will find them at "Wysall Rover" (with a space!).

Thanks,

Garry

Update: Have checked my contract, sent by email on 6/12/2022. It is actually for a Full Fibre installation.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 13

Hi Garry,

If full fibre is available you can place an order to upgrade anytime. If you would like us to arrange an engineer visit to investigate the fault can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges
  • Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

WysallRover
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 13

Hi Chris,

Ah yes, as I thought.

Well it seems I have no option but to arrange an engineer visit. With the impending disconnection of copper cable services, would this be an opportunity to install the fibre connection properly now, as well as investigating the fault? It would be handy if it could be done in one go.

Thanks.

Garry

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 6 of 13

Hi Garry

The grandstream is provided for FTTP circuits with VoIP enabled, as you are now on an FTTC circuit there is no VoIP service, that's why there is no telephone connection through the grandstream.

If there is no dial tone with your telephone connected to the test socket then we will need to book an engineer visit. If you'd like us to do this please let us know and well confirm some details with you

Chris

0 Likes

Message 7 of 13

Yes, the logical side of my brain did suggest that if one part of the connection is working, the other should too!

I have just tried the test socket (for the umpteenth time) and there is no change. No dial tone. Cannot dial out. Tried ringing my number. There is a ring tone but the phone does not ring here. I guess that as the ring tone is produced, the system will say the connection is working. My initial thought was that something just wasn't plugged back in, or a switch (physical or software) not set, at the exchange while the work was progressing, or is that too simple?!

As for the Grandstream adapter, would that be  preset to only work with a fibre connection or one particular line number? That might explain why the unit does not register, as my number changed when I moved. If it should just work by connecting to the router though, regardless of which type of main connection into the property, maybe I've been unlucky and the unit is faulty. Or could the the failure to register be associated with the lack of a dial tone?

Garry

0 Likes

Message 8 of 13

Thanks for the explanation. If the Internet connection is working then then the telephone service should be working too. Line tests are passing, not picking up any problems. Have you tried connecting the telephone to the test socket? Your guide to main phone sockets - TalkTalk Help & Support

Chris

0 Likes

Message 9 of 13

Hi Chris,

Just spent an hour trying to log in. Try to log in, see verification code message, switch tab to see email with code, go back to tab with log in page and it has reset. Or end up in a loop to the Link Your Account page. My account is already linked but there is no option to log in with the linked account log in details on that page. Maybe I'm just thick.

Anyway, in answer to your question. No, my landline is still not working.

I've been thinking about this and maybe a possible reason for this problem could be related to the connection set up I had when I moved into my current address. I should have a Full Fibre connection as at my previous address. When the engineer came to do the install here, he found the fibre connection enters the property through the wall behind the washing machine! Extending that connection into the property will require a lot of work. On the day, the engineer tested back to a local cabinet and found the wired connection to the property was still active, so used that for the installation. At that time, I had an exchange here on the community about my contract and agreed to continue with the installation as it is. If the work at the exchange involved disconnecting copper cable connections that might explain it. Indeed, if that is the case, an engineer's visit will be needed to install the necessary cabling to restore the landline service, which would then be VOIP. Just a theory, but doesn't explain why the internet connection is unaffected...

Garry

0 Likes

Message 10 of 13

Hi Garry,

Thanks for updating your profile. Is your landline still not working?

Chris

0 Likes

WysallRover
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 13

Hi Debbie,

Account number added to profile and landline number updated.

Garry

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 12 of 13

Hi WysallRover

I'm sorry to hear this.

Please can you add your TalkTalk account number to your Community Profile. I can then take a look at this for you.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes