cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

Landline phone issues/interference for 4 weeks!

skotishman
Popular Poster
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 8

Hi,

I first reported an issue to TalkTalk about my landline phone over 4 weeks ago (terrible interference/crackling sound on dial tone & in chat) and despite online chat with an agent, a visit by an engineer, and another chat with an agent last week (who basically asked the same questions as the first agent) who kindly promised it would be escalated and investigated, my landline phone is STILL not working properly. The latest, is now that I pick up the receiver and there is no dial tone but I can still hear interference, and it's as if I am connected to something (?)

My broadband seems to have been fine, it is just the landline phone with the problem.

I do not use it a lot, but it is the main way my 83yo elderly mother keeps in touch with me when I'm away from home, and it was very difficult with the interference to have a conversation with her as she is slightly deaf, but now I can't even speak to her on it at all, and it is very upsetting for her. Yes I have a mobile, but we have talked via landlines for years with no major problems until about 4 weeks ago 😞

Can I please get some kind of update what is going on? The last agent I spoke to did mention possible compensation for this lengthy problem.

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

Message 1 of 8

Hi skotishman

We've booked the engineer visit for 08/01 PM (1pm - 6pm)  We do have some availability between now and the 8th if you would prefer an earlier appointment. If you would then please provide some more availability and we can check and change this for you.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 8

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I did have an engineer visit back on 21st Nov I think it was, and was told the fault was not in my property and that it would be followed up, but I never really had any update after that, and the fault is still ongoing and has been since early November 🙁

It is VERY frustrating not getting it resolved yet, but as broadband is still OK and as I use the landline primarily just for talking to my elderly mother, it has not been critical, just frustrating. I still see my Mum every 2nd weekend anyway, and I can text her too. 

As we are now almost into the festive period, nothing can be arranged now until January I presume, and I am working for some of the festive period too.

Can I ask for an afternoon appt (preferably as late as possible) maybe week beginning 8th January 2024?

0 Likes

Message 3 of 8

Good morning,

If all testing has been completed at the test socket with 2 different handsets then the next step will be to arrange an engineer visit to the property. Please can you provide a few days availability AM (8-1) and PM (1-6) and we can arrange the next available appointment for you. Please can you also confirm that you accept possible time related charges, which would only apply if the engineer found no fault or the fault is with your own equipment.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 4 of 8

Hi Chris,

I have the NTE 5C MK 4 box at my socket. I was able to take off the front cover by pinching the sides, and tried the phone line directly in the socket. Unfortunately, there is still crackling on the line even with this. But when I put everything back together and reset, at least the dial tone is back on the phone (for now) even if it is virtually unusable with the constant crackling interference ☹️

But thanks for this, as nobody esle has asked me to try this until now.  Sadly didn't stop the crackling noise though.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 8

Hi skotishman,

Line test is picking up a potential fault. Could I just ask, have you tried connecting your telephone to the test socket - Your guide to main phone sockets - TalkTalk Help & Support

Chris

0 Likes

Message 6 of 8

Hi @Gliwmaeden2    Dial tone (with interference present) was briefly back later on Friday night, but when I pick it up today it is back to having no dial tone and just constant crackling interference noise, so yes it is unusable right now 😕 

It is actually over 5 weeks now since I first reported this crackling interference noise, over 3 weeks since a TalkTalk engineer came to my flat, and over a week ago when I last spoke with a chat agent who assured me it would be escalated to higher up, and looked into.

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 8

If the phone is totally out of service, automatic compensation is worked out: 

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/About-your-auto-compensation-credit/ta-p/2326583

You need to wait c 30 days after the fault is resolved, @skotishman, and they'll be in touch etc.

For the matter at hand, staff will reply after the weekend. Nobody on here before Monday. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes