cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

Moving master socket

Weevie
Insightful One
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 14

We are getting major work done on our property and part of that involves, an extension with a window being converted to a doorway - our master socket is located in the way - so will need moving.

I assume that since the work is to create a disabled friendly bathroom and I am on the priority customers list - (similarly on Gas, Electric and Water) that the master socket can be moved free of charge ?

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Message 1 of 14

@Weevie, I think many of us are rather worried by this. It is quite an upheaval, but the telecoms industry is aware of the challenges  - I  would sit tight until they have ironed out more of the creases.

I don't have great mobile cover here, but I can't see the point of faffing around with VOIP. Not keeping the phone number does entail the chore of telling companies that it no longer applies for contact.

For many ordinary calls, if you have a routine, a mobile will work well with wifi and calling on Skype,  Zoom, WhatsApp etc without incurring charges at all (other than normal Broadband subscription).

There shouldn't be a problem using these networks simply using a computer / laptop etc.

These days, it's worth supplying an elderly relative with a basic mobile phone in case of emergencies. If it's PAYGO, they don't even need a contract. I believe 999 would work even if they have forgotten to top up.

Just needs to have the battery charged. 

Quite important as a fallback if worried by the brave new world without the landline. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 2 of 14

And come 2025 - BT are going to shut down the complete analogue phone network ?

What about the millions of elderly who rely on their phones and don't have / want / need the internet ?

I bet BT have not thought about the fact that VOIP needs power, so in power cuts, communication will be down

Rely on mobile phones ? My mother in law has no mobile as do hundreds of thousands of others

a very poorly planned mess - that's what's coming in 2 years

0 Likes

Message 3 of 14

@Weevie, whenever it becomes available, there would be the usual headline price and then discounts for various lengths of contract.

Impossible to know the options at this stage for your individual circumstances. 

In some situations, the copper landline has been left active but I understand that was a temporary measure, again on a case by case basis.

If using VOIP the calls are charged in the usual way, including the possibility of applying the Anytime calls boost etc. The same tariffs apply as currently for copper landlines. 

VOIP gives you the opportunity of keeping the landline number rather than the old landline infrastructure. 

0 Likes

Weevie
Insightful One
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 14

@Gliwmaeden2 Right - so since Full Fibre is not yet available - it looks as if I am going to have to cough up £128 to move my master socket - but don't arrange anything yet !

But within 18 months - Full Fibre will be available at a similar cost to Fast Fibre ?

What about calls ? will they be VOIP or will they remain on copper wire?

If the former - what cost ?

0 Likes

Weevie
Insightful One
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 14

It is not.... 

0 Likes

Weevie
Insightful One
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 14

I don't believe that full fibre is available here yet 

0 Likes

Message 7 of 14

@Weevie,

I wonder if it's worth looking into Full Fibre to the premises at this stage?

That's different infrastructure, and it will need to be done within the next 18 months or so (if the planned roll out across the country is going anything like to schedule).

Just a thought. 

You'd need to see how soon it could be done, but it might mean saving doing that job later. 

If you need the landline you'd need to check how to keep the use of the phone number when the copper service is removed. 

And it might depend upon where you are with current contracts / upgrade offers etc.

Maybe simpler just to get the master socket moved for now..... but Full Fibre is coming to all of us rather soon.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 14

That is the standard price that Openreach charge to relocate a master socket

Chris

0 Likes

Message 9 of 14

How much ?

£128 to move a socket 6 feet ?

You are kidding me

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 10 of 14

Hi Weevie,

I'm sorry, the master socket relocation would be chargeable (£128.40). If you'd like us to book the engineer please let me know and I'll confirm some details with you

Chris

0 Likes

Weevie
Insightful One
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 14

@Chris-TalkTalk @Gliwmaeden2 

The gas meter and feed pipe need moving - this is being done for free by the carrier - because the work is to create an accessible toilet - so one would assume that Openreach are the same

0 Likes

Message 12 of 14

Hi Weevie,

As Gliwmaeden2 has said, there is priority support for some faults with service but to my knowledge you would still need to pay to have your master socket moved. I'll confirm this and get back to you.

Chris

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 14

Talktalk ensures priority fault support but I haven't heard of them moving the master socket for free, @Weevie.

I am sure many customers will be interested to see the staff answer as it is the sort of thing that could affect many people. Your post is in the queue for attention. 

0 Likes