cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

Unexplained calls from my landline

eileenjordan
First Timer
Private Message
Message 6 of 6

I have reported several unidentified calls made from a landline user to various numbers. TalkTalk have sent an engineer but no fault has been found and my case has been closed. I am not satisfied with their conclusion (the calls being made to a genuine consumer number) and I wonder whether anyone has any suggestions:

The landline is that of my mother who suffers from Alzheimer's and is not capable of using a phone. It is kept to support Careline and WIFI.

The random calls were made to mobile and landline calls. These mostly last 13 seconds but occasionally two to five minutes. We have blocked calls to mobiles but the calls to landline numbers continue. 

The calls number up to 8 per month and there is no discernible pattern of duration or frequency.

What is most puzzling is that the calls are now to a single number (01202301336) which when I called from my mobile is answered by a ping followed by more pings of different tones. These are not the tones of a fax machine as suggested by TalkTalk. I have checked on various websites to identify the tone but no luck.

What is more interesting is that when we first identified these random phantom calls several months ago the landline number was answered by a gentleman who had no knowledge of the calls made at random times through the day and night.

TalkTalk are not able to help and have closed our case.

We are worried that the phone has been hacked. We have determined that the calls are not made by carers as when family is in residence the calls continue. 

I have checked various community chat boards but I have not been able to find an answer. I prefer not to switch provider. Also engineer has accessed property and phone handset. Computer is not switched on.

Thanks for any help.

Attorney
0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

Message 1 of 6

Hi eileenjordan

To ensure that this is not a crossed line issue, have you dialed 17070 from the landline phone to see if the number read back is correct. 

I've checked our network logs for the line in your profile, and there are a lot of outbound calls to voicemail retrieval,  you mentioned a care line this may be auto making the calls to check the line is still active. 

Could this number be preset in the system?  

0 Likes

Message 2 of 6

Thank you

Attorney

Message 3 of 6

@eileenjordan, the number you displayed should not be visible to the public.

Arne needs your Talktalk landline number or account number in the profile area, which only you and staff can see.

Go via your avatar/name; settings; Personal Information. SAVE CHANGES. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Private Message

Message 4 of 6

XXXXX REMOVED FOR SECURITY REASONS. 

Attorney
0 Likes

Arne-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 5 of 6

Hi @eileenjordan 

Thanks for your post. 

Can you add either the landline number in question or the account number to your community profile, so I can have a look. 

Thank you.

0 Likes