cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

Voicemail 1571 not working - sounds like a fax

Tinjacobs77
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 27 of 27

Hi. I tried adding voicemail plus but after waiting 24 hours it doesn't work. When you ring the landline after 10 rings it stops ringing and goes through to like a fax machine/internet dial up sound. When I dial 1571 it just says service is not available. Any ideas? I've found many chats with this issue but if resolved the solution lies with talk talk.

0 Likes
26 REPLIES 26

Message 1 of 27

Morning,

Sorry for the delay. Testing at the test socket eliminates any internal wiring or equipment connected to the line. It sounds like a piece of equipment connected to the line is kicking in before the voicemail has a chance to.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 2 of 27

To be honest it seems like I'm looking for a needle in a haystack.  Broadband is working and the many connections/devices that talk to that - so seems odd a phone and internet would work for everything apart from a boost (voicemail). It works fine for calls in and out - so I think I will just chuck the towel in and cancel the voicemail - no point going to any more hassle for that.  I know when I am beat.  If the socket was faulty the phone wouldn't work would it - or they're would be other issues - not just a feature like this.  Hey ho.  Thank you for the help.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 27

Thanks for trying this. It could be the faceplate itself or any internal wiring which is connected to the faceplate. If you re-connect the faceplate and test it again does the same thing happen? Where is the alarm connected? Is it hard wired into a socket? How many extension sockets do you have?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 4 of 27

Ok - so when I plug it in to the test socket it works fine - it goes through to voicemail - so what does that mean is causing the problem when it's not in the test socket?

0 Likes

Message 5 of 27

Its NTE5C

0 Likes

Message 7 of 27

Not that I am aware of no.  The only socket I have I tried.  If it's the alarm I will just cancel the voicemail plus.  Nothing I can do about but pay to have it disconnected!.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 27

It sounds like it could be related to the house alarm. Where is house alarm wired in? Does your main socket have a test socket?

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 9 of 27

Yes - it's 12 rings - then goes through to the fax machine noise.

Just a quick update - did the connection speed test again and all fine now so assume that was just a glitch.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 27

Hi,

Thanks for the additional information. So just to confirm, if you call your home phone it rings and you can answer it but if you let it ring for a longer period then it then makes the fax noise? How many rings before you hear the fax noise please as it should go through to voicemail after 32 seconds which is about 12 rings?

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 11 of 27

Also - not sure if this has an impact - but when I run a Talktalk connection test I get this...

Tinjacobs77_0-1724064142123.png

I don't seem to have any issues with my broadband though - so not sure what the issue is!

0 Likes

Message 12 of 27

Ok - so I plugged the phone in directly to the main socket - still got the same thing - I can dial 1571 but voicemail itself doesn't go anywhere - just that fax machine type sound so no messages can be left.  I unplugged the main sockets around the house and still got the same thing.  The only other thing I can think of is the house alarm - but I can't disconnect that.  Can't believe that would be the issue - I can't be the only customer with a house alarm.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 27

Ok great thanks. If you could test later then that would be great. If you still hear the fax noise with just the phone connected then could you also try removing all equipment from all sockets, including the phone, and ring the line to see what happens with everything removed.

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 14 of 27

There is a micro-filter yes, and it's just a basic twin handset phone - but only 1 has a direct phone cable plugged in.  

0 Likes

Message 15 of 27

Sorry just to add, I'm guessing you don't have a printer/fax type machine connected to the line, is this right?

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 16 of 27

Thank you. Can I just ask what equipment you have connected to the line please? Is it just the phone and the router? Do you have a microfilter connected? Is it just a basic phone? If you could test just the phone later on then that would be great, thank you.

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 17 of 27

To test the phone directly in the socket I would need to unplug broadband which I can't currently do as I need it for work - I can check that later.  

What I can tell you though is I've just dialed 1571 and that now works - however when I call the landline - after the 10 rings - it still goes to that dial up/fax machine sound.  Not sure if that helps.  If not - I can test the phone directly in the socket later on.

0 Likes

Message 18 of 27

Hi,

I've just run a test now which is clear. Could you connect just the phone at the test socket and dial 1571 for me please?

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 19 of 27

Thank you

0 Likes

Message 20 of 27

Hello again,

Thank you. I'll check this again in a few hours to see if Voicemail is showing active on our side and we can then run a few tests. I'll post back here as soon as we have an update.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes