cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Support

For help with your TalkTalk TV box, channels and apps.

Idiosyncrasies of the YouView Box

Steamywee
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 13

The remote I have for my YouView box has outlived two boxes!

It is a "V4" remote and for some time the "Volume Down" rocker button no longer "clicks" when pressed.

Yesterday, pressing to reduce the volume, it wouldn't stop!

I had to hide it from the box before it went down to zero!

Any attempt to use any other button was overridden by the "Volume Down" demand!

I am currently reduced to scouring the pages of Freecycle for anyone who may have upgraded and has one available.

Any TT Staff able to advise if replacement "Remotes" are available from their residual stocks of this now discontinued machine? 

Another problem I awoke to today, (it's always a Saturday!) was a message on the screen saying that the Guide was "Currently Unavailable!" and sure enough, despite showing the correct time date and channel logo's, the programme info failed to populate.

Thinking it was due to lack of internet connection, I tried iPlayer which was fine, so I applied NASA  logic (switch off and back on) the Guide re appeared!

0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12

Message 1 of 13

Good morning,

Excellent, glad to hear this 🙂

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 2 of 13

Good news.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).
0 Likes

Steamywee
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 13

@Karl-TalkTalk @fr8ys Thank you guys, the remote arrived and is perfect!😌

0 Likes

Message 4 of 13

You're Welcome 🙂

Regards 

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Steamywee
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 13

Wow, thanks Karl much appreciated!👍

0 Likes

Message 6 of 13

Hi

I'll get a remote sent out to you.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Steamywee
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 13

@fr8ys Wow! that's opened up a whole new world of commerce to me!

Good to know that I don't have to bin a "not quite so perfectly good" YV Box!

I would of course much prefer to deal with TalkTalk than chance getting something similarly afflicted elsewhere!

I'll leave this thread open in the hope of hearing from "the team" maybe , next week, and thanks for your help. 👍

Message 8 of 13

Amazon and eBay have them

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).
0 Likes

Steamywee
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 13

@fr8ys Yes, and thanks for your efforts!

I just assumed from your comment that "the team" were aware of my plight and replacement was probably in hand!

I hope it is, 'cos I've had no response from Freecycle!

No idea where to go for one otherwise! 😳

0 Likes

Message 10 of 13

Ok good luck next week.

By the way us community stars are not staff. We volunteer our time to help those we can.

0 Likes

Steamywee
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 13

@fr8ys Thanks for your reply, I'm surprised that the staff are working today!

Yes, I first changed the batteries but surprisingly the original ones are still good, it must be very low on power consumption as they must be every bit of 6 years old, possibly more!

The problem is not a sticky button, but a worn out "dimple"!

That's the only way I can describe it.

Having dissected a few other TV remote controls over the years, it seems there are basically two methods, one uses a conductive "mat" of buttons which complete the various circuits; the others mechanically depress small metallic dimples which click as they invert and complete the desired circuit.

These I think are of the latter type since you can usually feel the click as the dimples invert.

My volume rocker has lost its downward "click" and now stays inverted, so I have to be very careful how I use it or I end up transmitting that signal permanently! 🙁

I will be so pleased to get a replacement! 😁

On the subject of "Resetting" I have the PDF squirreled away on my PC and have had cause to use it on several occasions for both Remote pairing to TV and also for re-setting the box, though that can be a bit of a Pandora's box! 🤣

0 Likes

fr8ys
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 13

I believe staff will send you a new one next week.

If you have any isoprop cleaner you may be able to free your button if it's sticky. Wet a cotton bud and gently apply round the button. Alternatively a wet wipe may help. Massage the button up and down and side to side while cleaning as if there is anything stuck underneath this may clear it.

Also search for resetting remote in the search bar in the forum as this may help.

I have assumed you have tried a change of batteries.

Hope something here works 

0 Likes