cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Support

For help with your TalkTalk TV box, channels and apps.

TV box following full fibre upgrade.

ACCOBRA
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 52 of 52

We’ve just upgraded to full fibre and could not connect the Youview tv box to the new WiFi router. Contacted TT who said we would need a 4K TV box which was sent. This connected without too much trouble but has no record function. Is one available that is compatible with full fibre? 
Also one other question. Previously I had an Ethernet cable connected from the old box to a power line adapter. Do I still need this? It seems to work ok without. Thanks for any advice. 

0 Likes
51 REPLIES 51

Message 41 of 52

Hi

The older youview boxes are not wifi capable - what is the model of box that you are trying to connect.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

ACCOBRA
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 42 of 52

The old box just would not connect to WiFi with the new router no matter how many switch offs and resets I did. The internet light on the power line adapter remained off. However, connecting the 4K box was straightforward but it did allow me to put the router password in. Is there a factory reset to the old box to start from scratch? 

0 Likes

Message 43 of 52

Hi

Also, just to add, if the recordings you are trying to access were made from paid channels, such as Sky one etc, then these will not be accessible as you need to still be subscribed to those pay channels to access any recordings made, however you should be able to access freeview recordings.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 44 of 52

Hi

You do not enter any connection password at the box, they simply connect via ethernet - if you are referring to a broadband connection password in the router, this is not required as authentication is done at a network level.

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

ACCOBRA
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 45 of 52

But surely with a different router it won’t just connect because the password is different. Is there a factory reset on the box so it demands the new password. The reason I’m pursuing this is because I have a lot of recordings on the old tv box. 

0 Likes

Message 46 of 52

Hi

The older YouView boxes should just connect via ethernet and not require any other setup etc.

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

ACCOBRA
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 47 of 52

Thanks for your prompt reply Karl. The reason behind the question was because I could not get the old tv box to connect to the new router. I couldn’t find a way of entering the new router password. When I contacted TT Support I was told I would need a 4K box to be compatible with FF. I do have a tv Ariel btw. 

0 Likes

Message 48 of 52

Hi

Full fibre is just another internet connection, so any internet connected TV Box is compatible, even the older Youview box models will work with your connection, but TalkTalk no longer provide the older youview box models.

Only caveat I would add, is that any box that also displays freeview content will need an aerial also.

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

ACCOBRA
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 49 of 52

Thanks for the replies. So is the 4K box the only one compatible with full fibre? I am aware of using a usb to record to but am worried it will be less integrated than the tv box facility which was very versatile and easy to use. 

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 50 of 52

Hi

The new 4K Bob works over wifi, so no need for a separate ethernet cable.

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

chrishall57
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 51 of 52

Hi, you can record but need to supply your own USB to record onto. Just plugs into the back of the 4K box.

More info https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Recording-on-TalkTalk-TV/ta-p/2204777

0 Likes