cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Support

For help with your TalkTalk TV box, channels and apps.

TV box following full fibre upgrade.

ACCOBRA
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 52 of 52

We’ve just upgraded to full fibre and could not connect the Youview tv box to the new WiFi router. Contacted TT who said we would need a 4K TV box which was sent. This connected without too much trouble but has no record function. Is one available that is compatible with full fibre? 
Also one other question. Previously I had an Ethernet cable connected from the old box to a power line adapter. Do I still need this? It seems to work ok without. Thanks for any advice. 

0 Likes
51 REPLIES 51

Message 1 of 52

You're Welcome 🙂

Regards 

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 52

Thank you Karl I appreciate that and all your advice so far. 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 52

Hi

i'll send a set out to you now.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 52

Yes I understand all that, the difference between freeview channel recording and on demand but I definitely did have an internet connection and access to on demand. Having said that and to move forward if I need 2 PL adapters and only have one could you send me another please? 

0 Likes

Message 5 of 52

Hi

All older models of YouView box have no wifi capability (The new 4K TV Box does).

The box should be able to play back freeview content that was recorded from a freeview channel as this only relies on the aerial connection, not an internet connection, but would need an internet connection for on demand players and subscription channels.

If your recordings are from freeview channels then they should play back, however the box will need to have an internet connection for setup and to receive any software updates.

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 6 of 52

You’ve said::

All TT tv boxes have no WiFi capability. 
There has to be either an Ethernet cable from router to tv box or 2 Powerline adapters (one transmitter, one receiver) to get playback tv . I only had one PL adapter and yet had playback.

Question: how was that possible?

0 Likes

Message 7 of 52

Hi,

OK, is there a specific question I can answer for you 🙂

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 8 of 52

Sorry I meant my post to you Karl from late yesterday that began…”I think there is something being missed here.” Sorry the post number’s obviously changed. 

0 Likes

Message 9 of 52

Hi

RE message 8, the TV Box (Youview) does not require any passwords for connection.

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 10 of 52

Thanks Karl I understand that WiFi allows access to playback. Could you respond to message 8 please? Thanks. 

0 Likes

Message 11 of 52

Hi

It's impossible for the old youview box to pick up wireless, as they have no wifi capability, they will still work for freeview from the aerial, but need the ethernet connection for on demand players or subscription channels such as Sky one etc.

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

ACCOBRA
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 12 of 52

I think I did many years ago when I was trying to get a WiFi signal upstairs. I always assumed it was picking up WiFi from the router. If that’s not the case can’t understand how WiFi was getting to the tv box without a direct Ethernet cable. 

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 52

OK, well they can only work as a pair, did you not have two to start with?

0 Likes

ACCOBRA
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 14 of 52

A5CAE833-36F1-424A-8FEF-D763CEB9CE3E.jpeg

5B7DA32A-9E92-4CA2-A1C0-ACA9769DB2DC.jpeg

0 Likes

Message 15 of 52

Can you post pictures, front and back, including the label with model details? 

0 Likes

ACCOBRA
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 16 of 52

It had DLink on the back. 

0 Likes

Message 17 of 52

The 4K box does support WiFi. I am still at a loss as to how you managed to connect a YouView box using only one powerline adapter, unless it was in fact a wireless extender?

0 Likes

ACCOBRA
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 18 of 52

I think there’s something that’s being missed here. The new full fibre including router was installed in the lounge. The original system from the BT box was in the hall. I disconnected here when the full fibre was up and running and there was definitely not another powerline adapter here and yet there was a WiFi connection to the lounge which by what you say was not possible. When I couldn’t connect the full fibre to the original tv box I was told by TT support it was because I needed a 4K box. You said all the boxes were compatible. The 4K box did connect to WiFi but as it’s got no WiFi receiver and there is not a powerline transmitter it shouldn’t have done. How is that explained? All I want to do is continue to use my old YouView box. I don’t want to buy a lengthy Ethernet cable which may or may not prove if it provides a WiFi signal to the box as trailing across the floor is not a permanent solution in this day and age. If you are sure the solution is  a powerline transmitter adapter can you please send one? Finally thanks for your perseverance Karl but as I said something is being missed here. From what you’ve told me my original pre full fibre system shouldn’t have worked….and yet it did. 

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 19 of 52

Any broadband service is compatible with any device which can be connected by either Ethernet, or WiFi. YouView boxes have never supported WiFi. So either a direct cable connection, or via powerline adapters. Did the installation engineer remove the PLA at the router end? Otherwise you can test directly by Ethernet cable from the router to the box, you can get them in various lengths, try a well known online store. 

0 Likes

ACCOBRA
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 20 of 52

So to recap full fibre is compatible with all your tv boxes? It should work with my earlier tv box but is missing the transmitter part of the powerline adapter which should be connected by Ethernet cable to the router. The receiver powerline should be connected near the tv and connected to the tv box with an Ethernet cable? It just seems a very complicated way of transmitting a WiFi signal 4 yards across a room in this age of Bluetooth. Or am I missing something? If I’m not then what it seems I need is a powerline transmitter and extra Ethernet cable? 

0 Likes