Your Account

Get tailored support with your TalkTalk account and bills.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attempting to find details of my contract!

Steamywee
Super Duper Contributor
Message 11 of 11

Hi folks, I'm trying to get my ducks in a row before calling the "retentions" team to hopefully minimise the collateral damage that this change to our allegedly fixed contracts will do!

I'm currently attempting to see just what impact it would have on my monthly billing if I ceased to have the "Anytime Call Boost".

Problem is, I can't find my way to the page I need to view!

Once I know the cost of that boost, It would also be "fun" to view the cost of using my phone without that boost, so another page to find, detailing the call charges!

What I've already discovered is that the most "Traffic" in the last 12 months has been in December when I made 70 odd minutes worth of calls from my landline, ...and not many more from my mobile!! 😮

Anyone able to help?

EDIT 1.

Eureka! the link to the Boosts info has finally loaded, and shows me that it will in future cost me £14 monthly eeek!

Thanks to Tayler for that info!

Thank God it's currently free, but that evaporates 6 months before my contract ends, which is somewhat vague, but since TalkTalk has told me in the "price hike email" that my contract ends on October 31st, working back would seem to suggest that the Calls boost ends at the end of this month!

Hopefully the retentions folks would be able to tell me more accurately! 

Now all I need is to find the Standard calls charge list!

EDIT 2.

Impossible to find a link to the call charges info from within the TT website, Google was my friend, ...and Tayler!

There doesn't seem to be much room for manoeuvre for the retentions guys!

... and what does this mean?Other call charges.jpg

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

Steamywee
Super Duper Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Hi AllyM, you're right I did get up and down mixed up, I know what you mean about the numbers. Back in the days of p o t s, I remember how envious I was of a member of the PC Advisor community who by his own admission could almost lean his chair back against the wall of the telephone exchange!

These days it seems distance from cabinet is more important than distance from exchange.

As far as the current offerings are concerned, I still think Fibre 65 would exceed my needs since I don't download movie files and and with the current speeds I only very occasionally experience buffering on iPlayer.

As you say, I'll see what they offer me to stay with TT but I would be wary of taking up the Fibre 65 for the price of Fibre 35 'cos I might get used to it!

0 Likes

Message 2 of 11

@Steamywee wrote:

I think even my current "Fasterfibre" connection is overkill, speed is solid above 35up and 9.25down.

Fibre35 is just the new name for your legacy "Faster Fibre" package so your speed is currently artificially capped at 40Mbps download and 10Mbps upload the same as Fibre35.

Those are "sync" speeds at the router of course, so your actual speed test results of 35 down and 9.25 up look about right. (I'm assuming you've got up and down mixed up)

If you were to upgrade to Fibre65, you should get sync speeds close to the maximum of 80/20 down/up with actual speed test results just slightly less than that. Recently they have been offering deals for Fibre65 at the same price as for Fibre35 so you can always see what's on offer and then decide what's best for you.

Personally the maximum I get is about 33Mbps down and 4Mbps up due to the distance I am from the cabinet. To be honest, that speed is fine for my needs, but I am still jealous of people who can get the top speeds. I guess it's kind of like being Jealous of people who have a Ferarri even though your Vauxhall Corsa gets you from A to B just fine.

0 Likes

Steamywee
Super Duper Contributor
Message 3 of 11

AllyM 😂 I kid you not!

I did not understand the implications of the information at all.

You are quite right, I am indeed close to the cabinet, approx 30ft away.

The only thing I could concentrate upon was the word "Impacted" and little green "i" icon, which says it denotes a line which may have "Bridge Taps and/or Copper line conditions".

Some years ago, I had a fir tree cut down which was close to the phone line as it ran from my house to the telegraph pole.

I told the "Tree Fellers", ...yes, they were Irish, but there were only two of them, to be careful not to snag the wire and off they went up their ladders and even before the words "Yes sir, we'll be careful of that" had been uttered, they buzz sawed off the top ten feet of the tree which brought down the line!!! 🙄

Open Reach charged me £100 to re-connect me and I've always been conscious that I have an unnecessary joint in my link to the exchange thinking it would impair my line quality.

I'm not sure if that information indicates the line is indeed somewhat degraded but I'm heartened that it would cope with the current whizzy BB speeds.

...Totally wasted on me though as I live alone and despite having a phone, 2 each PCs, laptops Tablets and TV's along with the usual clutch of smart home stuff there is rarely anyone other than me using them all!

I think even my current "Fasterfibre" connection is overkill, speed is solid above 35up and 9.25down.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 11

@Steamywee , I'm not sure whether you're just posting that to annoy those of us who have much slower lines or if you genuinely don't understand the information.

Just in case you're not taking the mickey,

That table suggests that on Fibre65 (VDSL) you're predicted line speed is between 79 to 80Mbps download and 19 to 20Mbps upload.

Basically you are so close to the cabinet, you should be able to get the maximum speeds possible on that package.

If you opt for Fibre35, you should get 40Mbps download and 10Mbps upload as those are the limits set on that package.

Looks like it may also be possible for you to get TalkTalk's Fibre150 giving download speeds up to 150Mbps using G.fast technology, but I don't know much about that package.

0 Likes

Steamywee
Super Duper Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Thanks AllyM, never delved that deep into the various onion skin layers of information that are "available" to those who doggedly follow all the links and options!

Thanks for the link, but that's not the site I recall from yesteryear!

The information I seek is probably there, but it is not decipherable, to me at least! 🙄BT Availability check.JPG 

0 Likes

AllyM
Insightful One
Message 6 of 11

@Steamywee wrote:

EDIT 1.

Eureka! the link to the Boosts info has finally loaded, and shows me that it will in future cost me £14 monthly eeek!

Thanks to Tayler for that info!

Thank God it's currently free, but that evaporates 6 months before my contract ends, which is somewhat vague, but since TalkTalk has told me in the "price hike email" that my contract ends on October 31st, working back would seem to suggest that the Calls boost ends at the end of this month!

Hopefully the retentions folks would be able to tell me more accurately! 

You should have been able to see that from your monthly bills. Each bill will list the calls boost and state the discount amount and the date the discount ends.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 11

LOL, they tried to upsell the impossible to me recently.

Try this checker

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

Steamywee
Super Duper Contributor
Message 8 of 11
I have heard that some folks who contacted the retentions team have been persuaded in the direction of 65Mbps fibre packages despite their lines not being suitable, There used to be a site which checked line quality and identified your exchange so that the distance could be calculated in order to assess the overall capability.
It is many years since I last used it and cannot recall the site address, is it still available?
0 Likes

Steamywee
Super Duper Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Thanks Martin, I managed to get there by ducking out of the TT environment and simply letting Google and Tayler help me! 😃

But still more obfuscations ahead it seems! ...

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 10 of 11

@Steamywee 

Type CALL COSTS in the search box at the top of this page and you will be enlightened !