cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your Account

Get tailored support with your TalkTalk account and bills.

TalkTalk refusing to close account

Julie87
Team Player
Private Message
Message 45 of 45

I am posting this here for visibility. I will also be sending a formal letter of complaint.

I had been a TalkTalk customer for over 5 years. I am an NHS clinical scientist and I work from home so my broadband service is essential. I decided to take the TalkTalk service with me when I moved house and I placed a home move order via the website well in advance of my move date. This is the timeline:

11/04/23 – I moved house

12/04/23 – an Openreach engineer came to my new house but unfortunately found there was no landline connection, only a Virgin Media connection. They would have to come and dig up the pavement to install a cable and I was initially told this would take 2-5 working days so I agreed.

25/04/23 – I had been without phone or internet for 2 weeks and there was no sign of Openreach installing the cable. I contacted TalkTalk via chat to ask for an update and a refund on the period I had been without a service. The agent said they had raised an escalation with the back office to cancel my home move order. I was horrified and asked then to reverse that but they said it was too late and I would have to start over again and place a new home move order on the website. I then said I would rather switch to another provider. The agent said I had no active service, was not in a contract, and the home move order had been cancelled so effectively my account was now closed. I was extremely upset and confused following this conversation.

26/04/23 – I phoned TalkTalk customer service. I was on the phone for ~30 mins and spoke to someone in the cancellation department and someone in the home move department but at the end of the call I was satisfied that my account was closed and the home move order was cancelled. I then took out a contract with Virgin Media.

03/05/23 – Openreach (I assume) had dug up the pavement while I was out. I logged on to my account and saw my account was still active and the home move order still in progress. I contacted TalkTalk via the chat and was told my request to cancel had been rejected by the back office. I was very angry and posted on Twitter to complain.

04/05/23 – following investigations overnight I was contacted via Twitter direct message and told in writing that my account was closed and my home move order was cancelled.

10/05/23 Katie from the TalkTalk customer services in Burnley called to apologise and said the account and home move order would be closed in 3-5 working days.

15/05/23 Katie from the TalkTalk customer services in Burnley called and said the order was not yet closed but it would be soon and I did not have to do anything else.

04/06/23 – I received 3 emails within 5 minutes from TalkTalk to say there will be a ‘small delay’ in getting my service set up so the home move order is clearly still active.

I just want TalkTalk to leave me alone.
44 REPLIES 44

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 21 of 45

What is a relief is that you have Virgin up and running, so keep just using that, @Julie87.

Don't use the Talktalk service at all. Arne will get back to you as soon as he can, but it may take time to sort out what appears to be an almighty mess at their end.

It will all be sorted out so that you won't be out of pocket. There's nothing more for you to do but try to relax. The ball is all in their court to get this sorted out. 

Arne won't leave you high and dry. 

Hope you can put this aside for the evening  - it's beautiful outside! 

Staff will be back during the day. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Julie87
Team Player
Private Message
Message 22 of 45

I got a separate email from the complaint department acknowledging that I was told that my home move order was cancelled on 25/04/23

Julie87
Team Player
Private Message
Message 23 of 45

I spoke to Larry in cancellations. He confirmed everything; said I gave plenty of notice to cancel when I first asked 6 weeks ago, it is all recorded. He put through another cancellation. I will not believe it until I get my letter because what has happened before is the cancellation was quietly rejected by the back office.

Julie87
Team Player
Private Message
Message 24 of 45

Both times that I spoke to Katie in customer service she said that I had done nothing wrong, that TalkTalk had made an error, that it would be sorted and I wouldn't be charged. I have requested copies of the recordings as evidence for my CEDR application.

0 Likes

Julie87
Team Player
Private Message
Message 25 of 45

Screenshot_20230607-070144.png

Further screenshot from a month ago 'the status of that cease is complete '. Also I never got that call back from the manager.

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 26 of 45

No worries, this is clearly a bit of a mess and I hope you get it sorted soon. 

Julie87
Team Player
Private Message
Message 27 of 45

Thank you @ferguson 

Julie87
Team Player
Private Message
Message 28 of 45

Screenshot_20230606-190019.png

This was from a month ago.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 29 of 45

OK, I have no idea what is going on there. I have re-escalated this for you, I can do no more I'm afraid. 

0 Likes

Julie87
Team Player
Private Message
Message 30 of 45

Screenshot_20230606-184904.png

It gets worse and worse! This just arrived. I have said over and over again that I wanted to cancel and every time you said that was fine and would be done. I am with another supplier now. When did holding vulnerable customers hostage become a thing?

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 31 of 45

OK, I realise that you are annoyed because you have an unresolved issue, that is why people often come here. Each subject area has different people from TalkTalk helping, identified as part of the Support Team. They deal with each customer in turn as best they can. Arne has already said that he is on the case and will get back to when he hears back from the provisioning team. 

0 Likes

Julie87
Team Player
Private Message
Message 32 of 45

BTW the complaint/cancellation process is inaccessible to autistic people and anyone else who has difficulty making phone calls. I can post a letter to but all of the information I can find online says the response will be by telephone.

Julie87
Team Player
Private Message
Message 33 of 45

TalkTalk send me 'updates' about my supposedly closed home move order by text & email & phone almost every day even though I have told them I am autistic and find it distressing. 

Julie87
Team Player
Private Message
Message 34 of 45

Besides, I get badges when I post and I'm finding that amusing!

Julie87
Team Player
Private Message
Message 35 of 45

@ferguson I asked nicely for an update 6 hours ago and I can see the mods active on other threads.

Message 36 of 45

Who is ignoring you? The community doesn't offer real time support, each topic and post is dealt with in turn. 

0 Likes

Julie87
Team Player
Private Message
Message 37 of 45

They are ignoring me now. Not to worry I will continue to post daily updates until my problem is sorted or I die, whichever is sooner!

Julie87
Team Player
Private Message
Message 38 of 45

Good morning @Arne-TalkTalk - did you hear back from the provisioning team yet please?

Julie87
Team Player
Private Message
Message 39 of 45

You will get my subject access request in the post tomorrow (06/06/23) and 'you must comply with a SAR without undue delay and at the latest within one month of receiving the request' (quote from Information Commissioner's Office). You will also get my letter of complaint tomorrow. I have asked for a deadlock letter as you will understand this has already been going on for weeks and I am keen to submit a complaint to CEDR/CISAS without further delay. I can submit the complaint to CEDR/CISAS on 31/07/23 without having a deadlock letter. 

Message 40 of 45