cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your Account

Get tailored support with your TalkTalk account and bills.

BLOCKED from logging into MY ACCOUNT

Billx
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 66 of 66

Today in the morning, I was BLOCKED from logging into MY ACCOUNT.

I phoned TalkTalk, and after long delays I was able to talk to an agent. TalkTalk says there is something wrong with their systems and there are security problems. To cure this I was told that I should not use any TalkTalk domain email addresses, but use non-TalkTalk domain email addresses, to login into MY ACCOUNT. That seemed incomprehensible to me. Suggested non-TalkTalk domain email addresses, were Gmail, Yahoo, and Hotmail. I spent some time with her, the agent, but to no avail. What the hell, I thought. All day I have been trying to login to MY ACCOUNT with no success. To see that something was working OK at TalkTalk I used the link Forgotten email address link, and the result was that I am not registered at TalkTalk. Isn't anything working at TalkTalk?

As far as I am concerned, I'm not that interested in Gmail, Yahoo, and Hotmail.

To my way of thinking, my email address belongs with my Internet Service provider.

So can someone at TalkTalk fix this or not?

Oh, my web email is perfect.

65 REPLIES 65

Billx
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 41 of 66

@ferguson 

Well, it does change something, because now I know what you meant. Previously I thought you meant the opposite.

As far as other things are concerned, it doesn't change anything yet.

However, the so-called TalkTalk support team have not answered any of my concerns, and none of their scarce answers fit with anything.

Bill

0 Likes

Message 42 of 66

*sigh* I used the somewhat long-winded phrase "I have little doubt that" rather than "not," or perhaps "differently?" I am sorry that I created a misunderstanding. Sadly that doesn't change anything. 

0 Likes

Billx
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 43 of 66

@ferguson,

I think you are blocking me. Isn't that right?

Bill

0 Likes

Billx
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 44 of 66

To @ferguson,
So, you meant 'I have little doubt that the support team will 'NOT' advise you OTHER THAN to use a non-TalkTalk email for logging into My Account',
as you just agreed.

Thanks

Bill

0 Likes

Billx
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 45 of 66

To @Arne-TalkTalk,

Replying to your response of on ‎06-07-2023 02:36 PM.

You said that using a TalkTalk domain email account 'was allowed many years ago'. No it wasn't. It was allowed 4 days ago.

0 Likes

Message 46 of 66

They mean the same thing essentially. I used the words "other than" to emphasise the point that the support team here would not advise you other than what you had already been told, as you did refer to enquiries you had previously made. Does that make more sense for you? 

0 Likes

Billx
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 47 of 66

To @ferguson,

So, did you mean 'I have little doubt that the support team will advise you OTHER THAN to use a non-TalkTalk email for logging into My Account', or

'I have little doubt that the support team will advise you to use a non-TalkTalk email for logging into My Account'?

Bill

Billx
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 48 of 66

Yes, but why would any other 3rd party domain email, be more secure than a TalkTalk  domain email?

And if this policy was decided many years ago, why did it take so many years for the TalkTalk system to weed me out, instead of just emailing when this had arisen? This all doesn't make any sense.

Billx
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 49 of 66

Hi @Arne-TalkTalk,

You have not  actively encouraged me as a customer not to use your domains. This is completely new to me.

If you had tried to encourage me, you would have sent an email or letter to tell me so, years ago. Not just me but everyone else.

Also, it means TalkTalk had a major data breach 7 years ago, and they are just thinking about doing something about it?

This the first time I've ever heard of TalkTalk wanting to discard their own domain servers and use outside servers.

Bill

Billx
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 50 of 66

Hi, @Gliwmaeden2,

So you mean TalkTalk had a major data breach 7 years ago, and they are just thinking about doing something about it?

This the first time I've ever heard of TalkTalk wanting to discard their own domain servers and use outside servers.

Bill

martswain
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 51 of 66

Don't use an AOL email address either, there are issues of TT communications disappearing into cyberspace never to be seen again.

GMAIL works fine.

0 Likes

Message 52 of 66

Why would you think that?  Because I suggested Gmail, use any 3rd party email to register, just not ours. 

0 Likes

Message 53 of 66

It was allowed many years ago, but its not now its as simple as that.  

0 Likes

Billx
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 54 of 66

Also, @Arne-TalkTalk,

Are TalkTalk being taken over by Google?

0 Likes

Billx
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 55 of 66

Also, @Arne-TalkTalk,  again you say that 'we do not allow the use of talktalk.net, or any of our other domains to be used to register, its a decision made many years ago now'. Then why did TalkTalk register me in MY ACCOUNT years ago, with a TalkTalk domain email account? It would only have done so, only if that decision is very recent.

Bill

0 Likes

Message 56 of 66

Since the data breach we have actively encouraged customers not to use our domains,  These are the facts, if you try to register with any of our domains it will not allow it.   Its a business decision that will not change. Also I cannot register you as there has to be a verification process ie SMS to the registered mobile.   Your email service is not effected and you will still be able to manage your email address within my account after registering. 

0 Likes

Billx
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 57 of 66

Also, @Arne-TalkTalk you say that 'we do not allow the use of talktalk.net, or any of our other domains to be used to register, its a decision made many years ago now'. That makes 0% sense. How could you trust a Google domain more than you trust a TalkTalk domain? And you spout off, without any thinking.

0 Likes

Billx
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 58 of 66

Also, @Arne-TalkTalk you say that  its showing as 'not registered'. I am aware of that. But that is the same issue. Please, go ahead and reregister it.

Bill

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 59 of 66

There is no error in my wording, read it again. 

Edit: no ambiguity either, try once more. 

0 Likes

Message 60 of 66

There was an error in Ferguson's wording, @Billx.

Go by the staff reply.

Incidents like this with billing emails have been happening since security processes had to be tightened up after a major data breach years ago. It's an ongoing process. 

Edit: ambiguity, rather than error, but one that could easily have been read as the OP understood it rather than as intended.

Edit: Complicated syntax can obscure meaning. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes