Your Account

Get tailored support with your TalkTalk account and bills.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charges applied to account for faulty OpenReach/TalkTalk equipment

fmcateer
Chatterbox
Message 16 of 16

Hello,

I have been charged £65 for an OpenReach engineer visit that took place on Aug 3rd.

My internet was off completely. The fault was confirmed to me by the engineer to be a dead power supply unit to the OpenReach modem. Once this was replaced, the OpenReach modem regained power.

However, the TalkTalk router remained broken at this point - regardless of factory reset etc. Its WAN port had shut down. A second engineer later confirmed that this router's firmware could not be accessed at all despite being reset to factory conditions.
I was without internet in total from July 23rd/24th - Aug 9th when a second router arrived and the original was replaced.
I have been charged against my account despite the faulty equipment being firstly OpenReach's and subsequently TalkTalk's, and not 'related to a condition in your property or garden.'
I am disputing this £65 charge on my account and would appreciate help in getting this matter resolved, please, as I see no reason why I have been left out of pocket after already going over 2 weeks without internet in that property.

F.McAteer
0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15

Message 1 of 16

Hi fmcateer,

Apologies for the delay.

I'm sorry you haven't received Auto compensation, we'll look into this. Have sent you a private message requesting for further details.

Thanks, 

Jo

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 2 of 16

I'll re-escalate this thread, @fmcateer.

Staff back from Monday onwards. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 3 of 16

Hey Arne,

I understand, sorry I didn't realise that at first glance.

I thought I would wait on replying until I heard something about my auto-compensation, unfortunately I haven't received any such compensation yet and haven't heard anything from TalkTalk - would you happen to know how I should go about chasing that? 

F.McAteer
0 Likes

Message 4 of 16

Hi fmcateer

The credit raised cleared the latest bill, leaving the amount that you see. 

Auto comp can take upto 30 days after the fault is closed. 

0 Likes

Message 5 of 16

Hey Arne,

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction - unfortunately it seems that I'm only able to claim a refund of £33.05. Is there any reason why this might be the case? That's about half of the amount I was charged originally. I attach an image in zip file.

If there's any further information about a timescale for the auto-comp it would be super appreciated.

F.McAteer
0 Likes

Message 6 of 16

Hi @fmcateer

You should be able to log into My Account  and request it.

Any problems let me know.

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 7 of 16

It will show in My Account and you need to follow the instructions in My Account, @fmcateer.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 16

Thank you! How do I go about requesting a refund sorry? 

Thanks for looking into the auto comp - I understand if there's a delay (thanks for the info @Gliwmaeden2 ) but a timeline would be greatly appreciated.

F.McAteer
0 Likes

Message 9 of 16

Hi @fmcateer 

I have investigated this and the charge will be returned, you will be able to request a refund in the next 24 hours. As for the Auto comp I will ask the team to look into it. 

Sorry for any inconvenience caused.  

0 Likes

Message 10 of 16

Sorry, @fmcateer, I have no idea how long they are currently taking. It seems to be an industry-wide issue.

Best to wait for staff to get back to this thread!

0 Likes

Message 11 of 16

Hey, thank you very much for re-escalating.

Regarding the loss of service compensation - that's ok, I can keep waiting. Would you happen to know on average how long it might take to be processed? I ask because I'm afraid of TalkTalk not counting the first time I attempted to report the problem to them on July 24th.

F.McAteer
0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 12 of 16

@fmcateer, I'll re-escalate this thread to keep it in the workflow for Arne to look into the engineer's charge for you.

Regarding the compensation for loss of service, we are not quite at 30 days yet (if you count 9th August as the day it was resolved, the 10th would count as waiting 1 day etc) and there is a nationwide backlog, according to the big pink notice in the article. 

0 Likes

fmcateer
Chatterbox
Message 13 of 16

Hello @Arne-TalkTalk and @Gliwmaeden2 ,

Apologies for the delayed response. I have now updated my community profile to include my TalkTalk home telephone number. And my mobile, which is the number I actually use.

I haven't heard anything yet regarding automatic compensation - I haven't received any such compensation as of today (Sept 7th).

If there's any more information needed please let me know and I'll try to provide it.

F.McAteer
0 Likes

Arne-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 14 of 16

Hi @fmcateer

Thanks for your post, sorry that you are having problems.

If you would like us to look into this, please can you update your community profile to include your home telephone number, we will then be able to have a look at your  account.

To do this go into 'my settings' then 'personal information' then add your details.

Thanks

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 15 of 16

There are two issues here, @fmcateer.

For staff to check the engineer's charge, please complete your community forum profile details so that they can identify your account. 

You need to go via your avatar/name; settings; launch profile wizard.

Separately, regarding the loss of service, it may be that you should receive automatic compensation:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/About-your-auto-compensation-credit/ta-p/2326583

Your thread is in the queue for attention from staff. If you don't hear back on here on Friday it will be next week. Please look out for their reply. 

0 Likes