cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your Account

Get tailored support with your TalkTalk account and bills.

Earliest possible date to give cancellation notice

Shell15
Sightseer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 11

The minimum term of my contract is due to end on 21 November. I am required to give 30 day notice to end the contract.

If I am calculating correctly, the latest date to give notice is 22 October.

Can I give notice before 22 October? Thanks.

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

Arne-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 1 of 11

Hi Shell15

The minimum time is 30 days, not 60, 

I have fedback on the agent who told you 60, that is incorrect.

Sorry for the confusion. 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 11

Thanks for that update, @Shell15.

It's very odd that this seems to contradict what we have previously been told.

I'll flag it up for @Arne-TalkTalk to reconfirm, as we need to be absolutely sure.  

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Shell15
Sightseer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 11

Thanks everyone who left a comment. I rang TT earlier today and was confirmed notice can be given up to 60 days, and was advised to ring them back in a couple of days so I fall within the 60 day period before 21 November. 

Message 4 of 11

@EveFTTalk, Talktalk is quite clear about the 30 days' notice in Ts&Cs, and also how the period is calculated from receipt of the letter:

1000004877.jpg

See paragraph 19.3.

The cancellation instructions are also clear:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Cancel-your-TalkTalk-service/ta-p/2204737

1000004876.jpg

The system will only cope with 30 days, so nearing the end of a contract one might stray into one or two pro rata full price days, if you haven't calculated it exactly right. And anything ahead of 30 days is going to automatically stray into early termination fee territory. Very difficult to get a neat, perfect finish.

Phoning is always recommended, and you can simply double check on the forum with staff to confirm the cease date.

@EveFTTalk, if you need to follow your case up on the forum, please start your own thread by going back to the message board and clicking on start a topic.

The information above is useful also for the OP, but to check your own cease date, you must start your own thread. 

0 Likes

Message 5 of 11

So if you want to cancel and avoid any early termination fees, ring them up when you are in the last 30 days of your current contract. 

0 Likes

EveFTTalk
Sightseer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 11

I gave perhaps 2 mths notice via letter.  Neither the letter nor the subsequent phone call informed me that NO MORE than 30-days can be given (I was in contract).  As I thought the letter vague, I phoned again and the lady informed me that it is 30-days notice exactly.  If you give more, it won't register.

I am ending all services and not going to another provider, as I no longer need any services, so it is more tricky.

I have received 2 letter implying that I am moving to another provider, even though I am not and this was made plain more than once on the phone.

Message 8 of 11

I think not.

Ring 03451 720088 to check.

Message 9 of 11

Thanks for your reply. I would like it to end exactly on 21 November. Is the system unable to process cancellation notices longer than 30 days?

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 11

Not without paying an early termination fee, @Shell15.

But if you leave it much later, 30 days' notice takes you beyond the discounted minimum term rate. A few days at full price pro rata would probably still be less than termination fees, but it's worth doing the maths. 

0 Likes