cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your Account

Get tailored support with your TalkTalk account and bills.

Early leaving charges for Talk Talk.

rossa35
First Timer
Private Message
Message 3 of 3

Hello.

I'm moving in with my girlfriend at the start of June and consequently no longer need my own internet connection.

I just rang them up to cancel my account with them and was informed that because my contract doesn't end until 2023, there would be an early leaving fee of £113.98. This seems a bit steep and I'm wondering if this is just them assuring me I need to pay them money that I actually lawfully don't have to? I pay around £28 per month for my internet.

I've been through situations like this before when I cancelled a £10 pcm gym membership. I was informed I owed them a over a hundred pounds and was about to pay it until I did some research and discovered that legally I was only obliged to offer one month's fee. Could this be the same situation or do they have me over a barrel?

Also, if I do go down the "You can whistle for it" route, will this damage my credit score?

Any input welcome.

0 Likes
2 REPLIES 2

Arne-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 1 of 3
0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 3

No, @rossa35, this is legally a part of the contract that you signed up to.

Check in the Ts&Cs at the foot of the page / early termination fees listed in Pricing under Legal.  You would also have been sent a contract that you should have kept, an email when you started your latest contract.

One month's notice only applies if you are out of the minimum term of your contract.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes