cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your Account

Get tailored support with your TalkTalk account and bills.

Unexpected charge for TalkTalk Engineer Visit

Brian291
Participant
Private Message
Message 25 of 25

Following loss of broadband service I had a TalkTalk engineer visit on 10th March.  I understood that there would be a charge if problem was with in-home wiring etc.

I did not receive a written report of the engineer's findings but he told me verbally that, whilst his findings were inconclusive, he had made an adjustment to a "tight" connection in the back of the BT master socket.  He also suspected a possible router fault as the router took a much longer than expected time to sync.  He said that he would not replace the router at the time but TalkTalk would do so if problem recurred.  I was therefore not expecting a charge, however my latest bill shows a £50 charge for the visit.  Can someone explain this please?

(As of today my broadband download speed according to the router is just 4Mbps; it should be nearer 34Mbps.  I have logged another fault this morning; of course this may or may not be related to previous fault.)

0 Likes
24 REPLIES 24

Message 21 of 25

If the engineer did rewire the extension is not really relevant.  During earlier troubleshooting prior to the engineer's visit and conducted at the behest of TalkTalk, I was asked to unscrew and unplug the faceplate of the master socket (thus disconnecting all internal wiring) and plug directly into the test socket of the master socket.  This did not resolve the problem with the broadband.  Therefore the problem could not be due to the internal wiring.  I repeat my earlier statement that the engineer suspected a possible (intermittent?) fault with the router.  As I write this I still have a speed of only 4Mbps and await resolution of my latest fault report of 31st March.  I now regret renewing my contract last month.  Can this dispute of charge be escalated to a complaint?

0 Likes

Message 22 of 25

Hi Brian291.

I have checked the report. 

The report states :Upgrade vdsl plate secure. Rewired extension inside.
Replaced rj11 cable. Reset hub back to factory settings.. Hub sync 38 mbps
Cx now receiving 35 mbps

---------------------

The rewiring of the extension make this a chargeable visit as this is internal wiring. 

Its a valid charge.

0 Likes

Message 23 of 25

Definitely a TalkTalk engineer

0 Likes

Divsec
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 24 of 25

Hi @Brian291 your post has been escalated and you should hear soon. Was the engineer a Talktalk employee or open reach? 

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
0 Likes