cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

An engineer visited and said I should be sent a new router. But it hasn't happened

philip_e18X
Team Player
Private Message
Message 21 of 21

My broadband speed suddenly dropped about a week ago from the expected 50 to 70Mbps (I have what seems to be now called Fibre 65) to never more than 20Mbps (or one day to 0.7Mbps!!!) - this explained why my own very simple small website was suddenly taking 10 times longer than usual for simple web pages to render.

I contacted TalkTalk and, after performing remote tests which they said showed the download speed to my house was ~70Mbps, they agreed to send an engineer to investigate.

He came, did some tests, then told me he would recommend that I be sent a new Router, as that seemed the most likely cause of the problem.

I got a text saying "Your problem has been fixed".

But it hasn't. Can somebody here from TalkTalk help me with getting a new Router sent to me?
Thank you.

0 Likes
20 REPLIES 20

Message 1 of 21

Hi philip_e18X

I'm so glad to hear that this fault has now been resolved and the speed has increased.

Apologies for the issues you experienced when reporting this fault previously, I will feed this back.

Thanks 

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 21

The new router has just arrived. Looks exactly the same as the previous one (I had thought it might have an input for Voice Direct???). Switched it on, and within 5 minutes (literally!) I speedtested on my MacBook and got 72Mbps instead of 22Mbps.

So, the problem is SOLVED and apparently was a failing router, as the engineet and I agreed was all it could be, which could only be established by replacing it with a new one.

But why did nothing happen when TalkTalk went to the expense of sending an engineer to my house, and if I hadn't known about this forum, nothing would have happened to this day!

Kudos to you for sorting it out, thumbs down to TalkTalk for having Customer Service Representatives (on chat and phone) who don't speak good English and have no understanding of how to solve problems.

Ah well.............

0 Likes

Message 3 of 21
0 Likes

Message 4 of 21

Will do.

Message 5 of 21

Hi philip_e18X

The router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection/speed compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 6 of 21

Yes, please. I would like a replacement router ASAP.

PS: He was a TalkTalk engineer (from a contractor called something like Qbit).

He was not an Openreach engineer.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 21

Hi philip_e18X

The sync speed looks good, 76.6mb. Was this a TalkTalk engineer or a Openreach engineer?

I can send the replacement router, would you like me to arrange this?

0 Likes

philip_e18X
Team Player
Private Message
Message 8 of 21

I have gone to my website and started the download of a 1Gb file.

It is downloading at 1.4MBps (therefore 14Mbps).

I am getting fed up with jumping through these hoops you are setting me.

You sent an engineer to my house.

Can you tell me if you can see his report?

And if you can, will you share it with me.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 21

Hi philip_e18X

What speeds do you get if you download a file from a website?

Does the connection feel slow?

0 Likes

Message 10 of 21

Understood. Since I didn't change the router's default password, the reset will not change it.

Reset has been done, we are now reconnected to the router.

I run "Speed Test" on TalktTalk website, and it says "Great! You're getting 74Mbps."
But when I use speedtest.net, it says 28Mbps.

Now what?

0 Likes

Message 11 of 21

Hi philip_e18X

Do you mean the wireless password? This should stay the same as what is on the back of your router (unless you have changed this then it will go back to default)

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 12 of 21

Will the password change?

By which I mean the password in format D*X*MX*X

If that stays the same, surely the devices will all find the connection automatically.

If a new password is generated, I can understand having to re-connect the devices.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 21

The firmware ware version will remain the same but everything else should return to default so you'll probably need to reconnect your wireless devices

Chris

0 Likes

Message 14 of 21

Dear Chris

(1) can you please tell me what "settings" will be lost when I reset to "factory default";

(2) why didn't the engineer do this? or perhaps he did?

Anyway, I will await your reply, so I know what will happen if I do a reset.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 21

OK thanks. Could you reset the router to factory default settings and retest - Restore your router to factory settings - TalkTalk Help & Support - please let us know how you get on

Thanks
Chris

0 Likes

Message 16 of 21

Two different MacBook laptops, both in clear sight of the router (about 2 metres from it), connected by WiFi not ethernet

This is the set up we have been using for more than 5 years, and everything was working perfectly until about a week ago.

Each of our two MacBooks report a wifi signal strength of Tx117Mbps, Noise –96db (data obtained by holding down Alt key while clicking the WiFi symbol in the menu bar).

Remember, this is not one device. Two of them are having exactly the same problem.

So, to summarise:
-- your signal appears to be good to our premises;

-- our devices are capable of receiving a good WiFi signal;

-- something has recently gone wrong, and the Router is the obvious culprit to be the item that is failing;

Please advise what you can do.

Thank you, Philip Caplan

0 Likes

Message 17 of 21

Thanks for trying that. Are you running the speed test on a device connected to your router by Ethernet cable or wifi?

Chris

Message 18 of 21

I have done as you asked, and it has not changed the situation.
23Mbps down/18Mbps up.

REMEMBER everything worked perfectly until a week or so ago.

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 19 of 21

Hi philip_e18X,

Sorry to hear that you're experiencing problems with your service. Line test is passing and sync speed is currently 76.0Mbps. Could you switch your router off and leave it off for at least 30 minutes then switch back on and retest. Please let us know how you get on

Chris

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 20 of 21

Hi @philip_e18X,

The support team here on the community will be back tomorrow, they will hopefully be able to check the details from the engineer visit, and if they agree that the next best step is to try a new router, they will be able to arrange that for you.