cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Losing DNS Connection

JJG_57
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 28 of 28

I'm frequently losing connection to my DNS server. When this happens I can ping a known IP address e.g. 8.8.8.8 but if I ping something like bbc.co.uk it fails.

I can sometimes fix it by going to the router admin console and changing DNS providers, say from Talk Talk to Google and maybe back again. However sometimes I need to restart the router.

Sometimes it stays stable for several days, but other times it fails again within minutes. When it fails there are no error lights visible - the white light stays on as usual.

I have a Sagemcom router, firmware version SG4K10002829t

Any advice welcome.

0 Likes
27 REPLIES 27

Message 1 of 28
0 Likes

Message 2 of 28

OK will do. Many thanks for your help.

Message 3 of 28

Hi JJG_57

That's great, thank you 🙂

No you can just pop the older router and cables straight into the pre paid returns bag.

Thanks again.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 28

All seems OK so I will return the old router using the label supplied. Do you need me to mark the return with any reference number of ID?

Message 5 of 28
0 Likes

Message 6 of 28

Apologies, I thought I had posted an update yesterday. 

I don't think we have had any DNS problems since I swapped the router over.

Updating the firmware seems to have resolved the problem with my work VPN.

So - all good so far thanks. I'll give it another couple of days to check that no issues have crept in after the firmware upgrade.

Message 7 of 28

Hi JJG_57

How's the connection been since the firmware updated?

0 Likes

Message 8 of 28

Hi JJG_57

Your router firmware has now updated to version 158.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 9 of 28

Hi JJG_57

Our Devices Team have advised that updates on the firmware should now be available within the next 2 weeks.

We are currently still experiencing issues updating the router firmware.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 10 of 28

Hi JJG_57

Apologies for this.

We are currently experiencing issues with firmware updates. This has been raised to our Devices Team and they are working to fix this.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 11 of 28

Just as an aside, I've just received an email saying "You've earned the Staying Active badge on TalkTalk Help & Support"

I don't want badges and I don't want to be active on a support forum - what I want is a reliable internet connection.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 28

I've been away but the new router has arrived and I have now connected it.

Its admin page says it is at version SG4K100136

This has reintroduced a problem I had more than a year ago with connection to my work VPN - see your ref REP-10835132 / Incident: 220207-000529

I do have a workaround for this which I can use temporarily so I will leave the new router plugged in for a few days and see how it goes.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 28

Hi JJG_57

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know once the new router is connected.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 14 of 28

I suppose it depends what the "issues" are that you are having. If it's possible that a different physical router will be able to be upgraded then it's probably worth a try. If the issue is that you can't get upgrades out generally then it probably won't help.

I have more urgent things to do right now but I will need to look at alternative ISPs if I don't see any progress in the coming few days.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 28

Hi JJG_57

I'm really sorry about this. I can send a new router but it wont have the new firmware on it, this has to be updated once the router is connected.

0 Likes

Message 16 of 28

I can't keep waiting for this. It's affecting our ability to work from home and my daughters' ability to revise for their exams.

If you can't upgrade my router remotely can you ship a replacement router with up to date firmware? Then we will at least see if that's the cause of the problem.

0 Likes

Message 17 of 28

Hi JJG_57

We are still experiencing issues with the firmware updates. I will post back as soon as I have further information.

0 Likes

Message 18 of 28

Hi JJG_57

Thanks for your reply.

We are still experiencing issues with the firmware updates. I will post back as soon as I have further information.

0 Likes

JJG_57
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 19 of 28

Yes it is. 

0 Likes

Message 20 of 28

Hi JJG_57

Our Devices Team have asked me to check if your router is switched on at the moment?

0 Likes