cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Broadband disconnecting

LaurenW12310
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 12 of 12

For the past few weeks our internet loses connection regularly throughout the day but is particularly bad in the evening. Sometimes it reconnects itself, sometimes it needs resetting. 
thanks 

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11

Message 1 of 12

Hi Lauren

I can arrange an Openreach engineer visit but just to advise, if the faceplate or filter is faulty then Openreach can charge for this visit as they only maintain the line up to the test socket.

You should have received a microfilter with the router.

0 Likes

LaurenW12310
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 2 of 12

Hi. 

I can’t get to the socket until my partner is home as it’s behind a heavy bookcase. I’m not sure we have a filter?? 

Is it not possible to have someone sent out to look at this? We’re paying for a service that is not working properly. Thanks 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 12

Hi LaurenW12310

I can see the photo thank you 🙂

If you squeeze the clips on the side of the socket gently then the lower section of the cover should come away. Underneath there should be a test socket.

Please can you plug the filter and router into this test socket and I can then run another line test in this set up.

Thanks again.

LaurenW12310
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 4 of 12

0EB2AA74-C32C-4502-A3F1-BEC791931841.jpeg

3344760D-D1DE-42AD-8C01-CD9E780718E2.jpeg

LaurenW12310
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 5 of 12

Hi, not sure if this is what you mean? (Absolutely rubbish with any technological- sorry!)

0 Likes

Message 6 of 12

Hi LaurenW12310

Would it be possible to post a photo of your socket on this thread, I can then check this for you.

Thanks

0 Likes

LaurenW12310
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 7 of 12

I’m not sure what the test socket is? It’s just plugged into the mains power 

0 Likes

Message 8 of 12

Hi LaurenW12310

I'm sorry to hear this.

The line test has detected a potential fault towards the property.

Is the router connected at the test socket at the moment?

Thanks

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 9 of 12

If devices do sometimes just reconnect by themselves, without you having to do anything, then this may be an indication you are suffering from Wi-Fi interference, i.e. signals from your neighbours routers interfering with yours.

You could try changing the channels that your router broadcasts the Wi-Fi signal on, you can use free smartphone Apps like this to see what channels are being used within range of your smartphone, you can then change your router to use channels that are less congested.

If trying the above makes no difference then it may indicate an issue with the router, the Support Team here would be able to help with that.

I'm not sure what router you have, but be aware that the Sagemcom router has a feature called 'Wi-Fi Optimisation', this means it can change the Wi-Fi channel itself, overriding what you have set it to, it can randomly do this after minutes, hours or days !. So if you do find a channel that works well, but then things go bad again, check to see if the router has changed channel to something different to what you set it to. If you do experience this problem then just post back here to ask the Support Team to disable the 'Wi-Fi Optimisation' on your router, once that is done it will stay on whatever channel you set it to. This only affects the Sagemcom Wi-Fi Hub, if you have the Huawei Wi-Fi Hub it will stay on whatever channel you set it to.

LaurenW12310
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 10 of 12

The light on the router stays solid white so I assume we are just losing wifi connection? 

no wired devices 

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 11 of 12

Hi @LaurenW12310,

Do you know if the problem is with the router losing its connection to the internet (in which case a light on your router which is normally constantly lit will change colour or flash), or is it that you are losing Wi-Fi connection between your device(s) and your router (in which case the light(s) on the router will just carry on looking normal).

Do you have any ‘wired’ devices, do they also lose connection ?

0 Likes