cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Broadband dropping connection / router restarting when using a wi-fi extender

Alex-G
Participant
Private Message
Message 36 of 36

Hi All,

I'm having issues with my Talktalk broadband service I recently purchased when trying to use it with a TP-Link wifi extender.

When I use the router without the wifi-extender, there are no issues, broadband works correctly.

With the wifi-extender connected and on, the router intermittently loses connection to the internet (orange/white flashing light) or restarts entirely (orange flashing light).

The wifi extender is a TP-Link WPA8730 combination powerline adapter / wifi extender. I've previously used it with a Virgin broadband service with no issues. I have the talktalk router set to use both frequencies and auto-channel, with band-steering disabled. I've tried the TP-Link with both frequencies enabled and auto-channel, as well as 2.4GHz and 5Ghz alone with auto-channel; the problem has arisen with all configurations. The problem persists regardless of whether the SSID is the same for both the extender and router and when they are different.

Please could anyone help me sort this problem? I need the extender to reach certain parts of my home and if there's a solution that doesn't involve replacing the router or calling out an engineer I would appreciate it.

Happy to provide any additional information on request if necessary.

Thanks!

Alex

0 Likes
35 REPLIES 35

Message 21 of 36

Hello,

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• TalkTalk Telephone number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated.

Thanks

Message 22 of 36

Hi,

Thank you. I'll need to run a line test so I can check the stats, however this is not running at the moment so I will try again shortly. Once this has been completed and will post back with an update on this.

Thanks

Message 23 of 36

Hi Michelle,

I've updated my profile with all necessary contact info.

Thanks

Alex

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 24 of 36

Hello,

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated.

Thanks

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 25 of 36

Hi @Alex-G They will post on here as @Chris-TalkTalk did.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 26 of 36

Hi Keith,

many thanks for the continued help, much appreciated.

do you know if / how Talktalk will reach out once this is escalated?

thanks

Alex

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 27 of 36

WiFi interference cannot cause the orange light to flash on the router.

My initial thoughts were an unstable connection as that is the main reason for the orange light flashing, but then I remembered about it doing this for a WPS connection as well. As you have tried disabling WPS & it making no difference, I agree with you this must be a router - or line issue.

I will escalate this back to TalkTalk for you.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

Message 28 of 36

Hi Chris,

After testing Keith's suggestion I disconnected the wifi extenders - however I've now been having the same issue of intermittent lost connection with all wifi extenders disconnected and just connecting to the router, suggesting it's a fault with the router itself. Any idea what could be causing it?

Thanks

Alex

0 Likes

Message 29 of 36

Hi Keith,

Still having the intermittent lost connection / restarting issue after disabling WPS on both frequencies of the router.

I'm wondering whether it could be caused by wifi interference as you've posted about on some threads on the forum? Otherwise happy to try whatever you think it could be / provide any info to help diagnose.

Best

Alex

0 Likes

Message 30 of 36

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the detailed response - I've unticked WPS for both channels on the router now. 

I'll keep an eye on it and see if this fixes the issue and respond either 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 31 of 36

Hi @Alex-G 

@Chris-TalkTalk has asked me to help you. I cannot see that there is any reason why this PLA WiFi extender is not compatible with your router. You may need to use a Cat 6 Ethernet cable to connect it to the router as both are Gigabit, but that is all. It is fairly similar in specification to the TalkTalk WiFi Extender kit anyway.

If the router's light flashes orange, this could be down to the extender trying to establish a WPS connection with the router to clone its WiFi settings. Try disabling WPS on the router & see if that helps. Log into the router & go to:-

For the 2.4GHz band:-

Dashboard > See Internet Settings > Manage advanced settings > Advanced Configuration > WLAN > 2.4G Basic Network Settings

Untick WPS.

5GHz band:-

Dashboard > See Internet Settings > Manage advanced settings > Advanced Configuration > WLAN > 5G Basic Network Settings

Untick WPS.

Keith

Message 32 of 36

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the response. However, it seems that when the wifi is up and running (between the restarts / lost connections) we can connect to the network being provided by the wifi extenders and connect to the internet with no issues. If the router was not compatible with the extender, should we expect it to not work at all or cause this inconsistent connection problem?

Best

Alex 

0 Likes

Message 33 of 36

OK  thanks. It may just be that the wi-fi extenders aren't compatible with your router. @KeithFrench, are you able to offer any assistance?

Chris

Alex-G
Participant
Private Message
Message 34 of 36

Hi @Chris-TalkTalk 

I believe it’s the TalkTalk wifi hub black. Thanks

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message