cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Broadband dropping

ge1974
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 21 of 21

My broadband is constantly dropping.

When I try to open a page it mentions a dns error.

Often have to switch router off and on again.

Have spent over 2 hours on online chat trying to get issue fixed with no success.

Really getting fed up, can anyone help?

Graeme Elliott
0 Likes
20 REPLIES 20

Message 1 of 21

Hi ge1974

No problem 🙂

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

ge1974
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 2 of 21

Thank you

Graeme Elliott

Message 3 of 21

Hi ge1974

No problem. The router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 4 of 21

That would be great thanks

Graeme Elliott

Message 5 of 21

Hi ge1974

The line tests are clear. Would you like me to send a different router for testing?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

ge1974
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 6 of 21

There is a powerline in the bedroom. 

When it cuts out it can be anywhere in house.

Channels set to automatic 

Graeme Elliott
0 Likes

Message 7 of 21

Hi,

Ok. Have you tried a few different wireless channels just to rule this out? Are you using any powerline adapters?

Thanks

ge1974
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 8 of 21

No wired devices

Graeme Elliott
0 Likes

Message 9 of 21

Hi,

Ok thanks for confirming. Do you have any devices connected wired when this happens? If so do they also lose connection?

Thanks

0 Likes

ge1974
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 10 of 21

Sometimes switch it off and on again.

Sometimes just leave it to come back itself

Graeme Elliott
0 Likes

Message 11 of 21

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault, however I can see re-connections on the line. Can I just confirm, do you reboot the router when the connection drops?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 12 of 21

Yes still dropping

Graeme Elliott
0 Likes

Message 13 of 21

Morning,

How are you getting on?

Thanks

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 14 of 21

Might be worth installing a Wi-Fi analyser app on your smartphone if possible, as that will still show you the signal strength of your networks, and will hopefully show no interference if there are no other devices broadcasting in your area. If if shows a poor signal then this may indicate a problem with the router.

Is the router also well located ?. Ideally at table height, and out in the open (not in a cupboard or hidden behind furniture). It should also be facing towards the direction where you want the best signal, and not near objects like radiators or mirrors that could reflect the signal. Also try to keep it away from other electrical devices that can interfere with the signal like microwaves, cordless phone base stations, TV's etc.

If none of the above helps, then the staff here will be able to pick this up on Monday to help, if they thought a replacement router may be required they would be able to arrange that for you.

ge1974
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 15 of 21

No neighbours as out in countryside.

Channels are set to automatic

Graeme Elliott
0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 16 of 21

Ok, so if the LED is remaining white (some people see it as blue, I see it as white !), then that indicates your router is not losing its connection to the internet, so it is likely that the problem is just your devices losing Wi-Fi connection with your router. This can often be caused by Wi-Fi interference, for example your neighbour might have a router that is broadcasting on the same Wi-Fi channel as yours, this can reduce the strength and range of your Wi-Fi signal.

You could try changing the channels that your router broadcasts the Wi-Fi signal on, you can use free smartphone Apps like this to see what channels are being used within range of your smartphone, you can then change your router to use channels that are less congested.

Your router will be broadcasting two Wi-Fi networks, one on 2.4GHz and one on 5GHz, when you log into your router you will be able to see which of your devices is connected to which network. You may find that it is only the devices connected to one of those networks that are having issues, but you can change the channels of each network individually if you need to.

0 Likes

ge1974
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 17 of 21

Just normal bluish light

Graeme Elliott
0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 18 of 21

What do the light(s) do on the router when you have the issue ?

0 Likes

Message 19 of 21

Thank you

Seems to be a Huawei 

Only use wireless devices

Graeme Elliott
0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 20 of 21

Hi @ge1974,

What model of router do you have ?

What do the light(s) do on the router when you have the issue ?

Does the issue affect both wired and wireless devices (if you have both) ?

For one of the TalkTalk staff on this community to be able to look into this you will need to update your community profile to include your name, landline telephone number that your TalkTalk service is provided on & an alternative contact number. This will allow them to identify you, and they will then be able to help.

Don't post any personal details in this thread, just add them to your community profile.

The staff here won't be around now until Monday, but they should be able to respond to this post early next week to help.

If you have the Sagemcom Wi-Fi Hub, the LED remains solid white, and the issue affects both wired and wireless devices (if you have both), then you may be suffering from a known issue with a specific firmware version on that router.