cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Cannot connect to new router on specific PC

Bobby17
Team Player
Private Message
Message 22 of 22

I was recently sent a new router due to some problems with the speed randomly dropping on my old router.  I swapped my router over and everything appeared to work fine, my PC connected via ethernet and all of my wireless devices worked over Wifi with the added benefit of actually getting a faster connection than my old router.

However, when I switched over to using a different PC (using the same ethernet port and cables as the PC that did work), my PC appears to not even be detecting an ethernet cable is plugged in.

If I switch back to my old router, both PC's connect to the internet via ethernet no problem.

This would suggest that the ports of my computer, the cables and the router are all working fine so the problem is specific to the PC trying to connect to the new router specifically.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this?  It is worth noting the second PC is a work PC but they were unable to determine any reason why it would not be connecting and suggested to ask TalkTalk why it's not forwarding anything from the router.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I would like to be able to switch over to the new router rather than having to keep going back to the old one.

Thank you.

0 Likes
21 REPLIES 21

Message 1 of 22

Hi Bobby17

How are you getting on?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 22

Hi Bobby17

No problem 🙂 I have ordered the router and you should receive this within the next 24-48hrs.

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Bobby17
Team Player
Private Message
Message 3 of 22

I used to be able to connect some of my devices to the new router before but now it doesn't appear to be working at all so I would rather have another one sent if possible?

I will test it again later but it definitely seems to not be working at all anymore.

Thank you for all your help today.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 22

Hi Bobby17

Thank you.

Once you have finished work it would be worth trying the router again to see if you can connect.

Would you like me to order the router now just in case or would you rather wait for test the router again first?

0 Likes

Bobby17
Team Player
Private Message
Message 5 of 22

Yes I've just tried holding it down again for 10 seconds and it is still flashing orange.

Not a problem that it is taking longer, I would rather get this sorted.

I will switch back to my old router again now.

Message 6 of 22

Hi Bobby17

Did you hold the reset button for ten seconds?

Is the router light still flashing orange? I'm sorry this is taking longer than previously advised.

If the light is still flashing orange then please can you connect your other router and I will need to send you a replacement router.

0 Likes

Bobby17
Team Player
Private Message
Message 7 of 22

Ok I've done that. Is there a way to know if it reset correctly?

0 Likes

Message 8 of 22

Hi Bobby17

Please can you factory reset the router for me using the pin hole reset for ten seconds?

0 Likes

Message 9 of 22

Hi Bobby17

Thanks for your reply.

No it's the FW updating on this router. I will post back here as soon as it's completed.

Debbie

0 Likes

Bobby17
Team Player
Private Message
Message 10 of 22

Yes it is still switched on but the light is flashing orange. I presumed that was because of the tests that were running?

0 Likes

Message 11 of 22

Hi Bobby17

Thank you 🙂

Is the router still switched on? I'm just waiting for the firmware to update, it shouldn't be too long

0 Likes

Bobby17
Team Player
Private Message
Message 12 of 22

I have now switched over to the new router and as before, I have a connection on all my devices but my work PC still fails to detect the connection to the router.  I am happy for you to run the checks whenever.  Thank you.

Message 13 of 22

Hi Bobby17

Would 8:30 - 9am today be ok? If I need to make a change to the FW then this should take no longer than 15 minutes to update.

Bobby17
Team Player
Private Message
Message 14 of 22

Apologies for not replying on Wednesday.  I am happy to connect to the Sagemcom hub again today but I need to remain connected to the old one until you are ready to check the firmware as I am having to WFH today.  Thank you.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 22

Hi Bobby17

Ok, can you connect the Sagemcom hub again today please so I can check the firmware and make changes to the FW if needed?

Bobby17
Team Player
Private Message
Message 16 of 22

I currently have 2 routers but only 1 plugged in at a time, I am currently using the old one due to the problem of not being able to connect to the new one for the reasons in my original post.

0 Likes

Message 17 of 22

Hi Bobby17

Do you have 2 TalkTalk routers? Which one are you using at the moment?

0 Likes

Bobby17
Team Player
Private Message
Message 18 of 22

I connect to a VPN but that requires an internet connection in the first place which for some reason I am unable to get with the new router.

I don't know if there might be some security setting on the PC that is blocking the detection of the connection to the router but they were unable to suggest why this might have been the case.

0 Likes

Message 19 of 22

Hi Bobby17,

Do you connect via a VPN on your work computer?

Chris

Bobby17
Team Player
Private Message
Message 20 of 22

Unfortunately I have tried all of that already.  Troubleshooter doesn't provide any information because it is as if it isn't even detecting there is a network cable plugged in.  However, as mentioned before, the connections all work fine with my old router so there doesn't appear to be any hardware or software issues with the Networking as a whole.

0 Likes