cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Connects but no internet

Gavtemp
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 31 of 31

I recently had issues with my old Sagem router, it was found to be faulty and a replacement was sent, this was a couple of weeks ago.  Since then I have been experiencing a whole new issue that is driving me to despair. The router connects to the internet just fine, I get the white light on the front and when I go into the user interface it says it is connected to the internet, however on a regular basis I get the “connected but no internet” message on my devices.  This is across phones, tablets and TVs. When it happens I log into the router and it tells me I am connected, I can see the white light is on, not orange, not flashing. I have tried all the usual options, unplugging, powering off, resetting etc, but the same thing eventually happens. I don’t seem to be able to get more than a couple of hours use at a time before this happens, which can be extremely frustrating when watching a film for instance.

i noticed when my replacement router arrived, it was not new and was clearly a previously used one, I am suspecting that this may have been returned due to the same issue by the previous user.  I am happy to try any suggestions as I am about all out this end.  Any ideas anyone?

0 Likes
30 REPLIES 30

Message 1 of 31

I’ll give it a shot, thanks Keith

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 31

There still seems to be a bit of confusion over how your current network is set up. With the F266 that will represent a major improvement & if your issues still persist, then we can deal with them. Just being a customer, I can't get one for you, you will have to ask @Debbie-TalkTalk yourself.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 31

I spoke to someone at TT customer service and asked them the specs, they told me there was only one connection that was used to connect to the main router. In that case, yes the F266 would be ideal for my setup, I don’t think it’s going to solve the issue I am experiencing with the random ‘connected with no internet’ issue though.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 31

The F266 connects back to the main router over a 5GHz backhaul network, there are two Ethernet ports on there that can be used for any wired service, not one. It is your choice as to what you want to do though.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 31

I did try and get one last time, problem with the mesh extender is it only has one port which is used to connect to the main router. I have a Philips Hue hub and a NAS connected to the Huawei which has 4 ports. If I could get an extender I guess I could re-jig things. TBH I’m happy with the coverage, most things that connect to the Huawei are either hard wired with the exception of a couple of Amazon dots, so the 2.4ghz isn’t really an issue for that device.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 31

Thanks for the output from the PC's ipconfig, that is all fine it should be able to access the internet OK.

What you have been trying to do with this HG533 is that it is so old, plus it is not the correct way to extend the Sagemcom's coverage at all. The best way is via the Sagemcom F266 Wi-Fi Booster, which converts a Sagemcom router into a mesh network. There has been a supply issue for a while, but they seem to gradually be coming through now. You could ask @Debbie-TalkTalk for one.

Keith

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 31

So do you have the Sagemcom FAST5364 then?

To sort your PC out, please can you go to the command prompt (assuming Windows) & in there enter:-

ipconfig /all

Then get me, or PM me the output.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 8 of 31

It’s what I had lying about and it has surprising good WIFI coverage, I am actually wondering if I should just purchase a third party modem router, or even a router and set my Talktalk issued one to modem only. Wasn’t wanting to spend the money if I didn’t need to but if it’s the only was of solving this issue I’d give it a try.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 31

If it is LAN to LAN, that should be OK assuming that the 192.168.1.3 is outside of the DHCP IP address range. Why use an HG533 though, it is ancient & 2.4GHz only.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 10 of 31

Hi Keith,

I’ll do my best, bear with me. The secondary router is a Huawei HG533, I have fixed its IP address to 192.168.1.3 and its subnet mask is 255.255.255.0. I disabled DHCP on it. I can’t remember if it was set up LAN to LAN or LAN to WAN, I think it was the former.

Just in case I had made any setup mistakes, I disconnected this router for a few days, but it being isolated from my network made no difference to the problem I was experiencing, also, this setup worked excellently for years before.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 31

Hi @Gavtemp 

When I said how are they connected, I meant LAN to LAN or LAN on the primary router to WAN on the secondary one? I did also ask for both router's IP addressing information (IP address & subnet mask). Please can you provide this for me?

Keith

0 Likes

Message 12 of 31

Hi Keith,

Many thanks and sorry for the confusion. I have an old Talktalk issued Huawei router connected to my main router, it’s connected via RJ45 and its default gateway has been set to 192.168.1.1 (the static IP of my main modem router). I have also set it so that it does not issue IP addresses to connected devices, so the main modem router is issuing all IPs. I’ve had this setup for many years and it has run very well. I did suspect that maybe the second router was starting to play up and could have been causing issues, however when I removed it the problem still remained.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 31

Hi @Gavtemp 

I will move your other thread out of the way in a moment.

I agree in light of the comments in your recent post, that this is not a wireless issue. , You did mention when I first got involved that you were considering using an additional router as well. Are you doing this & if so, how are the two routers connected together and what are their IP addressing information?

Keith

0 Likes

Message 14 of 31

I suspected that, as I say though I was having an issue logging into the community thread. I recently changed from my .tiscal.co.uk email account to a .gmail.com one, don’t know if that was the issue

0 Likes

Message 15 of 31

Yes, @Gavtemp, notification emails are from a No Reply address, so you do always need to reply in the thread unless specifically asked to send a Private Message (via the profile area).

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 16 of 31

Hi Keith,

Firstly apologies for not replying a month ago. I was having problems posting on the forum, I received email notifications, when I clicked on the link it would not accept my credentials.  I did however reply to all the email notifications which I presume was pointless.

As for moving the thread out the way, whatever you think would be best.  The other thread highlights the issues I have been experiencing. The modem router I have is the Fast 5464-1 T4 by Sagemcom running version SG4K100174.

The second device has the default gateway address of 192.168.1.1 which is the IP address of the primary modem router, the problem is not the second device, as when I remove it from the equation the issues still persist.  I am not convinced the issue is with the WIFI side of things, my main PC is connected to the primary modem router via RJ45 cable, not WiFi and I experience the regular dropouts with it too.  When the dropouts happen, I can reach the router by entering 192.168.1.1 and accessing the user interface.  The router reports that it has internet access, but my computer states differently. Internet access will usually return after maybe 5 minutes or so by itself.

I have a number of devices including smart speakers, smart TVs phones and some cameras, most of these are not active at any given time. When I wake a device up, for instance turn on a smart TV, it will be connected to WIFI but with no internet access. I either need to turn the WIFI on the device off, or move it to another SSID for it to gain internet access. Turn the TV off and I encounter the same issue again. 

I have excluded as many things as possible form my setup with the thought that maybe the problem was interference (although this wouldn’t explain the same issue with the hard wires PC) this did I not help though.

I can only assume at this stage after the number of tests I have done that I have a faulty modem router which is failing to route IP traffics to devices on my LAN, but if you have any other suggestions I am happy to give them a try.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 31

Hi @Gavtemp 

I am confused on two points:-

1. Would you like me to move the other thread out of the way to save any confusion?
  2. I offered my help to you back on 01/07/2024, over a month ago, do you want it or not? If so, please tell me which router you have now.

It is easy for two devices to be side by side & have no internet access. The two most likely reasons are:-

1. The device without internet access, might not have the correct default gateway address. It would still be able to access the router as they are both on the same subnet.
  2. One is connected to a different Wi-Fi band to the other.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 18 of 31

Hi,

still having issues here, I started a new thread (probably shouldn’t have done that) https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Fibre/Unstable-LAN-connection/m-p/3055010#M392368

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 20 of 31

Hi @Gavtemp 

@Debbie-TalkTalk has asked me to help you with connecting a second router. However, initially this sounds more like a WiFi interference issue & this should be checked out before doing anything, because an additional router unchecked, could easily make things worse.

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal or no signal on some or all devices or no internet access might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a byproduct of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers a lot more from interference than the much faster 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

In other words, I try to help you optimise your Wi-Fi connection. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results so that I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

The information below is provided by TalkTalk, for confirmation please contact @Debbie-TalkTalk or@Michelle-TalkTalk.

KeithFrench is one of our valued Community Stars and can help with a range of issues related to wireless and networking. At times he may ask you to send him test results via a Private Message to help analyse/diagnose an issue. Although Keith does not work for TalkTalk, he very kindly shares his time and knowledge to help with others.

If you need further help or, if we need to take any details such as personal information about your account like phone numbers, account numbers etc. one of the TalkTalk team will jump in and help out.

Keith