cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Disable WI-FI Optimisation

ayman786
Team Player
Private Message
Message 20 of 20

Hi,

As others have raised previously, I am also having a problem with my router changing the 5ghz wifi channel after a period of time. It's picking a channel that is more congested rather than one that has no one else on it resulting in performance problems.

Please can 'optimisation' be turned off on my account to prevent this from happening?

Thanks

0 Likes
19 REPLIES 19

Message 1 of 20

Hi ayman786,

I've disabled wifi optimisation again 

Chris

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 2 of 20

Hi @ayman786,

See my initial reply from 11-02-2022 07:26 PM, if it is only your 5GHz and not 2.4GHz that is changing then there is a possibility it is being caused by DFS. If that is the case there is nothing TalkTalk can do to stop this happening, it is a regulatory requirement that a router switches away from a 5GHz channel if it detects military / weather radar using the same (or a clashing) channel.

If you are currently always trying to set the same 5GHz channel then try using different ones, possibly some of the lower channel numbers, as they may be less likely to clash with DFS restricted channels.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 20

It continues to keep changing Wi-Fi channels

0 Likes

Message 4 of 20

WI-FI optimisation*

0 Likes

ayman786
Team Player
Private Message
Message 5 of 20

My WI-Fi has been turned off again for the 3rd time, no factory reset or fimware update had been done it works fine for a week or so, and then reverts back to that can I please have it switched off again please.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 20

Hi

Optimisation is now off.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 20

I'll re-escalate this, @ayman786.

Ensure that you leave the router switched ON. 

Periodically wifi optimisation will resume, due to firmware updates or if you ever do a factory reset - so switching off optimisation has to be done yet again. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

ayman786
Team Player
Private Message
Message 8 of 20

The WIFI Channel are still promptly changing could I please ask if you could re do it as it hasn’t taken affect.

thank you

0 Likes

Message 9 of 20

Hi ayman786

Has the connection been working ok since your last post?

0 Likes

Message 10 of 20

Hi ayman786

The WIFI optimisation should now be off. Please let us know how the connection compares.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 11 of 20

Hi ayman786

I'm just looking into this further and I will post back as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

ayman786
Team Player
Private Message
Message 12 of 20

Hi there for some reason my wifi channels keeps changing could I please request my wifi optimisation to be turned off once again thanks.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 20

Hi ayman786

The WIFI optimisation has now been switched off.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

ayman786
Team Player
Private Message
Message 14 of 20

Can I please have wifi optimisation turned off again please I have a new talktalk router and the same problem is recurring thanks

0 Likes

Message 15 of 20

Hi

optimisation is now turned off.

Thanks  

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

ayman786
Team Player
Private Message
Message 16 of 20

Yes I have added the correct landline number, which ends in 758

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 17 of 20

Hi ayman786

Have you added the correct landline number to your Community Profile? (please do not post the number on this thread)

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 18 of 20

After Talktalk have switched off WiFi Optimisation set your 5Ghz channel to 44 which is not shared with civilian radar that has priority.

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 19 of 20

Hi @ayman786,

The staff here probably won't be around now until Monday, but they should be able to respond to this post early next week to help.

For one of the TalkTalk staff on this community to be able to look into this you will need to update your community profile to include your name, landline telephone number that your TalkTalk service is provided on & an alternative contact number. This will allow them to identify you, and they will then be able to help.

Don't post any personal details in this thread, just add them to your community profile (only you and the TalkTalk staff on this community can see your profile details).

If the 5GHz channel keeps changing, even after the staff here have disabled Wi-Fi optimisation, then it is possible you are being affected by Dynamic Frequency Selection (DFS). All routers that broadcast a 5GHz signals have to comply with regulations that mean they check to see if the channel they are broadcasting on clashes with military / weather radar. If your router picks up a signal from military / weather radar on a 5GHz channel that could clash with the one your router is broadcasting on then your router must change channel. This is a legal requirement, and this functionality will be build into the router firmware, it can't be disabled.

Some more info on DFS can be found here : http://www.technical-direct.com/en/operating-wi-fi-network-5ghz-band-make-sure-deploy-dfs-first/

0 Likes