cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Firmware Update

SuperflyForever
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 121 of 121

Hello there, I saw after some searching that people were requesting an update pushed to their router. We recently upgrade to Fibre 65 and despite the offer saying we would be provided with a new router, we didn't get one sent. So instead we bought one but it seems that the firmware according to some posts I gleamed through on the forums here that it needs an update.

Over the past few weeks since having the new router, we will have had inconsistent disconnections. It will sometimes happen multiple times in an hour or once every 24 hours. I saw people saying it was some DNS issue, but before I went messing around with that by myself, I was hoping to get some proper support before I go ahead with that.

The current router firmware is #SG4K10002816.

0 Likes
120 REPLIES 120

Message 1 of 121

Good morning,

Ok, no problem 🙂

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 2 of 121

Hello Michelle.

I can't say for certain. On Monday, we had to turn the power off due to some home maintenance, and I apologize for the slow reply, it's been a bit busy the past couple of days. The internet hasn't been misbehaving, so to speak, recently. But I will keep an eye on the logs and the uptime over the next few days and will report back to you then with its state and condition.

Thank you again for checking in and helping with the ongoing state that is our internet.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 121

Morning,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've re-run the line test now which is clear and the connection looks stable since your last post. How has your connection been?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 4 of 121

@SuperflyForever, staff will follow up after the weekend. 

If it's necessary to send an engineer, you need to accept potential engineer charges. Take a look at the details here:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Engineer-charges/ta-p/2207291

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 5 of 121

So as of 10 minutes ago, the internet went out again. So it looks like the engineer visit will have to be the next step. I have to ask. Will the visit sadly incur some form of fee?

I found the logs on the router, I don't know if they help:-

27.04.2024 00:26:40 VDSL connectivity is down port 1 

27.04.2024 00:26:41 WAN DHCP client (1) stopped 

27.04.2024 00:29:27 VDSL connectivity is up port 1 

27.04.2024 00:29:28 WAN DHCP client (1) started 

This happened when the connection dropped.

So as I was editing this, it went out again. The same message is in the log.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 121

Hello, quick question while I think about it. Does the router need any kind of firmware update at all or is everything as it should be?

0 Likes

Message 7 of 121

Hello Debbie, yes, it arrived last night, but only just had time to set it up now. I have just plugged it in and got it all sorted. So I will let you know what happens with the connection. Thank you again for the continued support, it's been very helpful.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 121

Hi SuperflyForever

Have you received the router?

0 Likes

Message 9 of 121

HI SuperflyForever

No problem.

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 10 of 121

Alright, thank you for letting me know so quickly. Hopefully, the router fixes the issue. I can say that it does seem like incoming calls isn't breaking the connection any more, so that's good.

Message 11 of 121

Hi SuperflyForever

Thanks for your reply.

If the connection continues to drop with the new router at the test socket then the next step will be an Openreach engineer visit.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 12 of 121

Wonderful, thank you very much. Also, just out of curiosity. If the router doesn't resolve the issue, what hypothetically would be the next step?

Thanks again.

Message 13 of 121

Hi SuperflyForever

The router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 14 of 121

That would be extremely helpful, thank you very much. I should say, I was told that it went out again last night around midnight.

Message 15 of 121

Hi SuperflyForever,

I can send another router to test with, would you like me to arrange this?

Chris

Message 16 of 121

Hello, apologies, it seems like some wires were crossed in the communication. I haven't tested the internet on a different router, as we currently don't have another one to try. During the visit by the engineer last week, he did say that trying another router could be part of the process of elimination, but we haven't strictly tried one.

He came into the house and put a new socket on and removed the old filter. I'm not sure if we are now directly connected to the test socket as of now though, as I haven't looked at the socket since the engineer was here.

0 Likes

Message 17 of 121

Hi SuperflyForever

Thanks for the additional information.

If the connection is dropping with 2 different routers at the test socket (on wired devices) then the next step will be an Openreach engineer visit.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 18 of 121

Generally, I am using it when it goes out. I've never really checked the logs, maybe if I log on to the router I might see that the uptime has reset when I or other people haven't been using it.

0 Likes

Message 19 of 121

Hi SuperflyForever

Thanks for your reply.

Are you using the connection when it drops or are you checking the router logs?

0 Likes

Message 20 of 121

Hello, thanks for getting back to me. No, the internet going out at 1 am is just a coincidence, since it went out at that time a few days ago. I had a look at the router, and it says it's been online for 1 day and 12 hours, but when it does lose connection, it's just seemingly random. It could go out in the next 5 minutes or the next 5 hours.

0 Likes