cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Firmware Update

SuperflyForever
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 108 of 108

Hello there, I saw after some searching that people were requesting an update pushed to their router. We recently upgrade to Fibre 65 and despite the offer saying we would be provided with a new router, we didn't get one sent. So instead we bought one but it seems that the firmware according to some posts I gleamed through on the forums here that it needs an update.

Over the past few weeks since having the new router, we will have had inconsistent disconnections. It will sometimes happen multiple times in an hour or once every 24 hours. I saw people saying it was some DNS issue, but before I went messing around with that by myself, I was hoping to get some proper support before I go ahead with that.

The current router firmware is #SG4K10002816.

0 Likes
107 REPLIES 107

Message 1 of 108

That would be extremely helpful, thank you very much. I should say, I was told that it went out again last night around midnight.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 108

Hi SuperflyForever,

I can send another router to test with, would you like me to arrange this?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 3 of 108

Hello, apologies, it seems like some wires were crossed in the communication. I haven't tested the internet on a different router, as we currently don't have another one to try. During the visit by the engineer last week, he did say that trying another router could be part of the process of elimination, but we haven't strictly tried one.

He came into the house and put a new socket on and removed the old filter. I'm not sure if we are now directly connected to the test socket as of now though, as I haven't looked at the socket since the engineer was here.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 108

Hi SuperflyForever

Thanks for the additional information.

If the connection is dropping with 2 different routers at the test socket (on wired devices) then the next step will be an Openreach engineer visit.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 5 of 108

Generally, I am using it when it goes out. I've never really checked the logs, maybe if I log on to the router I might see that the uptime has reset when I or other people haven't been using it.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 108

Hi SuperflyForever

Thanks for your reply.

Are you using the connection when it drops or are you checking the router logs?

0 Likes

Message 7 of 108

Hello, thanks for getting back to me. No, the internet going out at 1 am is just a coincidence, since it went out at that time a few days ago. I had a look at the router, and it says it's been online for 1 day and 12 hours, but when it does lose connection, it's just seemingly random. It could go out in the next 5 minutes or the next 5 hours.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 108

Hi SuperflyForever

I'm really sorry to hear this.

The line test is clear and I can see 1 re connection.

Is the connection dropping out the same time every night? (1am)

0 Likes

Message 9 of 108

Sadly, me again. Around 1 am last night, the internet dropped out again. We haven't had any issues with the phone ringing and knocking it out, yet. But it seems like the issue with the disconnections is still happening, sadly.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 108

Hi SuperflyForever

🙂

If you do experience any further drops in connection then please post back here and we can run some more line tests.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 11 of 108

Will do that, the next time it goes out, I will turn it off for 30 minutes as you suggested. The phone just rang a minute ago and it didn't knock the internet. I will admit, when the phone rang, I did tense up a little, haha.

Thanks again.

Message 12 of 108

Line test is passing now so it looks as though the engineer has resolved some issues. If the disconnections continue can you switch the router off and leave it off for at least 30 minutes then switch back on and monitor to see if the disconnections continue. Please let us know how you get on

Chris

Message 13 of 108

Around an hour ago, we had an engineer here, he said he did some work outside and fixed a potential fault, and he replaced the filter we had. But as of 5 minutes ago, we are still getting the random connection breaks.

0 Likes

Message 14 of 108

Hi SuperflyForever

Have Openreach contacted you today? There are no updates on the fault ticket as yet but we will keep monitoring.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 15 of 108

Hi SuperflyForever

I can see that the fault has been assigned to a line engineer this morning so we should hopefully have further updates later this afternoon.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 16 of 108

Thank you for the help, it's greatly appreciated. It's quite frustrating having the internet in this state of "will it go out?" constantly.

Thank you again.

0 Likes

Message 17 of 108

OK thanks. I've raised this to Openreach as a non-appointed task. They will investigate over the next 72 hours and may contact you directly if they need to access your home

Chris

Message 18 of 108

Hello, from what I'm aware of, we only have one telephone line in the house. I had a look at the socket to find that test socket thing, but in a previous issue we had, an engineer came over to fix the socket in which he put a new bracket/faceplate thing, he didn't put a cover on it, but it looks like it's only the one socket on it.

So from what I can figure out, it's already plugged into the test socket?

0 Likes

Message 19 of 108

OK thanks. How many telephone sockets do you have? Have you tried connecting the router and telephone to the test socket - Your guide to main phone sockets - TalkTalk Help & Support

Chris

0 Likes

Message 20 of 108

Thank you for getting back to me. I can't say I have noticed any noise on the phone, we don't make too many calls, but when we get one or make one, can't say anything has been noticed. Making calls doesn't seem to knock the internet out, but every incoming call knocks out the internet, and the internet just goes out randomly. It went out about 4–5 times in the early afternoon, then nothing until about 1 am.

Thank you.

0 Likes