cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Frequent disconnections and extremely slow speeds

livibwt
Team Player
Private Message
Message 19 of 19

I moved to a new address and took TalkTalk with me. I was previously on Fibre 65 package at my old address but I was forced to downgrade to Fast Broadband at my new address. Your Live Chat agent said although Fibre is available at my new address TalkTalk can't offer it to me due to high Fibre demand in the area. Please can someone check so that I can revert back to Fibre 65 package that I was on previously at my old address.

I am experiencing frequent disconnections every 20-30 minutes and extremely slow speeds. I am quoted a minimum guaranteed download speed of 6.6 Mbps and upload speed of 0.9 Mbps. I am getting actual download speed of 4.1 Mbps and upload speed of 0.5 Mbps. Router stats below.

xDSL
Line 1
Status UP
Connection Time 00h11m36s
Link Status UP
Standard ADSL2+ (G_992_5_ANNEX_ A)
Line Encoding DMT
Link Encapsulation ATM (G_992_3_ANNEX_ K_ATM)
Line 1
Downstream Upstream
Actual Rate [Kbps] 4100 528
Maximum Rate [Kbps] 4712 528
Noise Margin [dB] 7.50 6.10
Attenuation [dB] 34.00 18.60
Power [dBm] 20.70 9.90

0 Likes
18 REPLIES 18

Message 1 of 19

Morning,

I'm glad to hear that your speeds have improved 🙂 Unfortuantely we can't choose a specific profile as this is determined by DLM to provide the best balance between stability and speed for the line.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 2 of 19

Hi Michelle,

My speeds have improved after you optimised my connection.

Please can you confirm that I am on 6db profile so that I can achieve the best speeds.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 3 of 19

Good morning,

Thanks for keeping us updated and I'm glad to hear that the voice fault has been fixed. I've optimised your connection now and the sync speed has increased. Would you mind running a few speed tests please to see how your speeds are now looking. I'll also ask my colleague Arne if they can post an update on your other billing topic.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 4 of 19

Just had a visit from Openreach engineer. He restored my phone line and there is now a dial tone.

I asked him to check line speed but he said he could only check line speed for fibre.

I told him I was advised by TalkTalk that Fibre could not be offered to me due to high Fibre demand in the area.

He told me Fibre should be available to me and advised me to Google Fibre 2 to get Fibre connection, i.e. to get 65Mbps Fibre from a different provider. Router stats show I am currently getting only 4Mbps.

xDSL
Line 1
Status UP
Connection Time 00h07m06s
Link Status UP
Line Encoding DMT
Line 1
Downstream Upstream
Actual Rate [Kbps] 4095 763
Maximum Rate [Kbps] 18744 1164
Noise Margin [dB] 21.20 27.10
Attenuation [dB] 29.00 14.80
Power [dBm] 20.40 11.00

I posted in the Billing section as you advised previously regarding auto compensation not received as promised after more than 30 days. I have not received anything, not even a response.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Billing/Auto-compensation-still-not-yet-received-after-30-days/m...

0 Likes

Message 5 of 19

Hi livibwt,

Line test is picking up a fault so I've logged this out to Openreach for investigation. Openreach will investigate over the next 72 hours and may contact you directly if they need to access your home

Chris

0 Likes

livibwt
Team Player
Private Message
Message 6 of 19

I plugged in new router last Monday and have given it a week to test line performance.

There have been fewer disconnections. The speed is atrociously slow and even worse than before.

The phone line is dead and there is no dial tone. I am unable to make or receive calls since last Monday.

Router stats below:

xDSL
Line 1
Status UP
Connection Time 3d 11h06m57s
Link Status UP
Line Encoding DMT
Line 1
Downstream Upstream
Actual Rate [Kbps] 3712 763
Maximum Rate [Kbps] 4008 816
Noise Margin [dB] 7.40 6.40
Attenuation [dB] 39.00 25.40
Power [dBm] 20.30 12.50
0 Likes

Message 7 of 19

Morning,

How are you getting on?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 8 of 19

As Gliwmaeden2 has said, we can't switch off DLM or manually set a profile but you are currently on a profile with 6db target SNR. I've ordered a router to test with, it should be with you within a couple of working days, please let us know how you get on

Chris

0 Likes

Message 9 of 19

DLM cannot be switched off  - it's part and parcel of line management with Openreach, @livibwt.

You possibly mean turn off wifi optimisation?

If you are getting a new router, wait for it to arrive and plug in, as doing it now, it would just have to be done again.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

livibwt
Team Player
Private Message
Message 10 of 19

I have responded to your PM to confirm account details.

Please can you send me a new router so we can eliminate my current router as a source of the problem before we arrange an engineer visit.

Is my line profile currently on 24Mbps Interleaved SNR 6? If not, please can you change my line profile to 24ISNR6.

Please can you also turn off Dynamic Line Management.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 11 of 19

Regarding auto compensation please see About your auto compensation credit - TalkTalk Help & Support

If you then still need assistance with auto comp can you raise this is the billing section and well be happy to take a look.

If you'd like us to arrange the engineer visit can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges
  • Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.
  • Confirm your mobile number

I've also sent you a PM to confirm some other details

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

livibwt
Team Player
Private Message
Message 12 of 19

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, please arrange an engineer to fix this as the constant disconnections keep interrupting my usage and make the service unusable.

I am still awaiting auto compensation for engineer line install missed appointment and delay to the start of my service. I was told TalkTalk will email me for auto compensation which I haven't received.

In addition, please compensate me for the faulty service I am currently receiving.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 19

Regarding upgrading you could try speaking or our Loyalty Team, they may be able to help, but if you've only moved recently I think it's unlikely that fibre will be available yet

We can arrange an engineer to investigate the problems that you are experiencing with your current service. If you'd like us to do this please let us know and we'll confirm some details with you.

Chris

0 Likes

livibwt
Team Player
Private Message
Message 14 of 19

Yes, only my main telephone socket is connected with phone and router via micro-filter.

TalkTalk agent told me Fibre is available at my new address but said I had to downgrade due to high Fibre demand in my area at the time of order. I was told this is temporary and to check back again later for an update in order to revert back to Fibre 65 package that I was on previously.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 19

Hi livibwt,

I'm sorry but if you've been told the Fibre isn't available at your new address then we won't be able to upgrade you to it.

Regarding your current service, it does look very unstable and line test is picking up a potential fault. Do you just have one telephone socket in your home with phone and router connected via micro-filter?

Chris

0 Likes

livibwt
Team Player
Private Message
Message 16 of 19

I had a look at the TalkTalk page for test socket, it says:

• Main phone sockets that have one port without a horizontal line don't have a test socket. If this sounds like yours, please don't try to unscrew the faceplate.

My main socket is exactly as described above, so it doesn't have a test socket. My router is currently connected to the main socket. Voice service seems OK with a little noise on the line.

As aforementioned, I moved to a new address and took TalkTalk with me. I was previously on Fibre 65 package at my old address, but I was forced to downgrade to Fast Broadband at my new address. Your Live Chat agent said although Fibre is available at my new address, TalkTalk can't offer it to me due to high Fibre demand in the area. Please can someone check so that I can revert back to Fibre 65 package that I was on previously at my old address.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 17 of 19

Morning,

I'm sorry to hear this. Can I just confirm, is the router currently connected to the test socket at the moment? Is the voice service ok with no noise on the line?

Thanks

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 18 of 19

@livibwt, the upload speed cannot be guaranteed.  It will be 0.9Mbps at best.

But with below minimum guaranteed download speeds, there's definitely something wrong.

Worth leaving it plugged in at the test socket to see if the readings are the same. 

Staff will reply during the day. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes