cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Glitches with Zoom

gjc26
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 111 of 111

Hi

So I've been having glitches with Zoom.

OpenReach came in and tweaked things, which brought my connection speed up from about 55mbps to just under 80mbps, but the drop outs and "your internet connection is unstable" issues persist.

I prefer to use my own router, it's a Netgear.

I wonder if there's a setup issue, here are the current settings:

Select Country: UK
Select Internet Service Provider: TalkTalk

Transfer Mode: VDSL (PTM)
DSL Mode: VDSL 2

Multiplexing Method: LLC-BASED
VPI: 8
VCI: 35

Use VLANID: 101
Priority(0~7): 0

MTU: 1500

IGMP Proxying [not disabled]
Support British Telecom (BT) IGMP Proxying [doesn't matter if enabled or disabled still glitches]

Disable SIP ALG [doesn't matter if enabled or disabled still glitches]

I think these are the key ones.

Are these correct, and any more suggestions?
0 Likes
110 REPLIES 110

Message 81 of 111

Hello,

What speeds were you seeing with your other router? We can re-check the connection stats tomorrow to see if DLM has made any changes to the speed. In regards to the clock issue, are you resetting or just re-booting the router?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 82 of 111

So after restarting these are my stats according to the router DSL information:

The Max figures are not far off what my Netgear was reporting, but my actuals seem lower as I've reported. Should these improve?

Upstream line rate (kbit/s): 20000
Downstream line rate (kbit/s): 63682
Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s): 22689
Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s): 77576
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB): 7.2
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB): 6.0
Line standard: Vdsl2_ANNEX_B
Upstream line attenuation (dB): 2.0
Downstream line attenuation (dB): 6.7
Upstream output power (dBm): 4.0
Downstream output power (dBm): 13.0

I've also noted in the logs that whenever I switch off, the clock reverts to 1981-01-01 00:00:00 (it eventually gets around to acquiring the correct time from the internet). Is this normal as most devices have some sort of battery backup to retain clock info?

0 Likes

Message 83 of 111

Hi,

Thanks for the update. Sometimes it can take service centre 24hrs to update if the router has been reset. Please let us know how the connection compares.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 84 of 111

Hi

Thanks for this. The router was slow to the point of non-responsiveness this morning in respect of its interface (the internet still seemed to be on). Tried various things to resolve, ended up resetting and reinstating my changes (in particular password and ssid changes, turning off UPNP and WPS, turning on band steering) and it seems better now. Not sure if it was a symptom of the kernel panic thing.

I've now also turned on airtime fairness and restricted 2.4G to 20mhz.

Talktalk are still not recognising my router on the service page, so I may try turning off for a period again, but can probably only manage about 45 mins, not sure if that's enough.

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 85 of 111

If you have switched between models of router then did you leave over 30 minutes between switching the old router off, and the new router on ?. If not it would be worth switching your router off for over 30 minutes, this will ensure it creates a new session in the street cabinet when you switch it back on. Without doing this your current router will probably have connected to the session that was originally created by your old router, this can mean the new router will not give you the best performance, because it will be running with connection parameters that relate to a different type of router.

Edit : Doh !, just read your reply again and see that you have done this already, but might be worth trying again, maybe leave it off a bit longer.

0 Likes

Message 86 of 111

I should also add that the service status page is still saying it can't identify my router, but again that may resolve overnight.

0 Likes

Message 87 of 111

Hi, thanks for looking into this.

I've not had as many calls today, but my Zoom seems better in terms of glitches.

What I have noted is that the quality of incoming images on the calls has decreased notably (didn't have the chance to ask anyone about the quality of my image). I'm guessing that this is because of the 20%+ drop in speed I've seen since changing over to the TT Router from the Netgear. I've tried switching things around (e.g. moving the router closer to the outlet, different DSL cable (yours was slower than mine), wireless and wired) but it's not helped.

I was seeing just shy of 80mbps download and 20mpbs upload on the Netgear, with speed tests of about 65-70mbps and 19-21mbps. Now it's about 62mbps download and 19.5mbps upload, with speed tests of about 56-58mbps and 16-17mbps. And it feels slower too in general use.

Is this something that's likely to improve over the next few days? I did turn off the router for about 35 mins earlier to reset it, but that didn't seem to help.

I won't be going back to the Netgear as the glitches were annoying and disruptive, but the drop in speed with the TT router is frustrating, particularly after Openreach just came in and fixed everything up infrastructure-wise.

0 Likes

Message 88 of 111

The current firmware version for the Huawei is 1.05. We only currently upgrade to 1.06 if there's a specific issue that we know 1.06 will resolve

Chris

0 Likes

Message 89 of 111

Hi. Does the new firmware include security updates? 

0 Likes

Message 90 of 111

Hi gjc26,

Could you try the Zoom calls with the current firmware version and let us know how you get on

Chris

0 Likes

Message 91 of 111

Hi @Chris-TalkTalk @Michelle-TalkTalk @Debbie-TalkTalk I've done the switch out.

Is someone able to update my firmware?

2 observations; the service status page is (still) saying it can't identify my router, and my internet speed's down about 20% (both reported and tested). Are these both symptoms of the router bedding-in?

0 Likes

Message 92 of 111

Hi. I will, but it will be early next week as I won't have time today. Thanks for the help so far.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 93 of 111

V1.06 is the current firmware, if it isn't running that I can get TalkTalk to upgrade it for you. Please can you try this Huawei router temporarily, that way it will prove if it is your Netgear router or setup that might be the issue or if it is something else entirely?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 94 of 111

It's a Huawei Black Hub, but I'm not using it currently.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 95 of 111

What make/model of TalkTalk router do you have?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 96 of 111

I am not.

0 Likes

Message 97 of 111

OK thanks, are you using a VPN?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 98 of 111

No other issues; so we can stream Netflix / Disney UHD / HDR etc. (but I think they buffer, so tiny glitches wouldn't matter there I guess vs live-streaming).

0 Likes

Message 99 of 111

Hi gjc26,

Do you have any problems with music or video streaming services such as Spotify, iplayer, youtube etc?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 100 of 111

PS thank all for all the input so far.

0 Likes