cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Glitches with Zoom

gjc26
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 111 of 111

Hi

So I've been having glitches with Zoom.

OpenReach came in and tweaked things, which brought my connection speed up from about 55mbps to just under 80mbps, but the drop outs and "your internet connection is unstable" issues persist.

I prefer to use my own router, it's a Netgear.

I wonder if there's a setup issue, here are the current settings:

Select Country: UK
Select Internet Service Provider: TalkTalk

Transfer Mode: VDSL (PTM)
DSL Mode: VDSL 2

Multiplexing Method: LLC-BASED
VPI: 8
VCI: 35

Use VLANID: 101
Priority(0~7): 0

MTU: 1500

IGMP Proxying [not disabled]
Support British Telecom (BT) IGMP Proxying [doesn't matter if enabled or disabled still glitches]

Disable SIP ALG [doesn't matter if enabled or disabled still glitches]

I think these are the key ones.

Are these correct, and any more suggestions?
0 Likes
110 REPLIES 110

Message 61 of 111

Guess I should say 18 Nov or 1 Dec 2021 for clarity.

0 Likes

Message 62 of 111

So the extension has been in place for about 6-7yrs with no issues until the general issues with internet that started earlier this year. It was specifically tested by OpenReach when they visited, and was found not to have any issues. Not saying I won't test without it, but I really don't think that's it. But happy to be wrong on that!

As I mentioned earlier in the post, speed increased by about 20% after OpenReach's recent-ish visit (it included them checking the various sausage boxes connecting the cables etc. outside the property), but they weren't here long enough to monitor for glitches or drop outs on the line. OpenReach did do some work externally on (I believe) either 18 Nov or 1 Dec due to our external wire apparently hanging too low over the road between the telegraph pole and our house (this was before the glitches started), and also more recently a month or two ago (this was after the glitches started so I don't think related) maybe to lay fibre cable (hopefully!).

I do wonder if the cable issue in Nov/Dec did cause a problem here as I didn't notice any issues until around Jan this year (and wasn't as busy in Dec so may not have noted issues starting). Plus I'm still seeing issues with the new router (albeit not as bad as with the Netgear), and it seems you've noted some drop outs at your end.

0 Likes

Message 63 of 111

OK thanks. Could you see how it goes for the rest of the afternoon and if possible test without the extension if you continue to experience problems

Chris

0 Likes

Message 64 of 111

I'm not in the same room, but it completely died, probably for about 2 mins, but for less than 5 mins. Timing wise it was somewhere between 9:40am and 10:00am (was scrambling to get my hotspot running so didn't note precisely). On a quick look I don't see anything obvious in any of the logs that looks anything different to when things were working ok. But it's the worst interruption I've had for a while. There was no other specific load on the router at that time other than my Zoom call.

0 Likes

Message 65 of 111

No it wasn't me testing. I've just run a line test, it hasn't picked up any issues and sync speed is 63.0Mbps. How long did the internet drop out for? Did the light change on your router when the connection dropped?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 66 of 111

Hi, my internet completely dropped out about 30 mins or so ago, assuming that's you testing?

0 Likes

Message 67 of 111

I guess one thing; if you start to see drop outs, if you can let me know sooner rather than later I can look to cut out the extension cable for the next stage of testing. 

0 Likes

Message 68 of 111

Ok, the extension is now plugged directly into the test socket. 

0 Likes

Message 69 of 111
0 Likes

Message 70 of 111

Ok, happy to remove it if there are still glitches, it’s just a bit of an issue to move the router to the room with the socket as below. 

It’s basically one of these fwiw (but not this actual one):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08CTXPN85/

I’ll let you know when I’ve changed over. 

0 Likes

Message 71 of 111

OK thanks. It's obviously better to test without the extension lead just in case there's and issue with it but it's OK to use it if it's more convenient

Chris

0 Likes

Message 72 of 111

Hi; basically yes. It’s just a telephone extension cable with a male (RJ 431A I think you call it) at one end, female equivalent at the other (mimicking the master socket, but just and extension cable not a formal socket). The filter is plugged into female end, the router and phone into that. 

0 Likes

Message 73 of 111

Hi gjc26,

What type of extension cable is it, is it just a longer version of the adsl cable provided with the router?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 74 of 111

Sorry should read “the router in the room with the socket”

0 Likes

Message 75 of 111

Just to check, I have an extension that connects my router to the socket; am I able to leave that in place for now as I don’t want to put there router with the socket (installed in a child’s room), also the Openreach engineer tested it and gave it the all clear. If drop outs continue I will swap that out for testing and move things around, but can we test with that in place first. 

0 Likes

Message 76 of 111

Hi,

If that would be ok then yes please as this will rule out any internal wiring and we can re-check how the stability and sync speed compares over the next 24-48hrs. The router and phone will need to be connected via a microfilter.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 77 of 111

Thanks for checking. 

I can remove the faceplate and attach directly to the test socket it you’d like me to (it is connected to the master socket currently but with the plate in place). 

Assuming I won’t lose connectivity; also remind me, do I need to use the filter if connecting directly for testing?

0 Likes

Message 78 of 111

Morning,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a test on the line which is clear, however I can see that the sync speed has dropped and there are also re-connections on the line. Does your main socket have a test socket? Is the router connected to the test socket at the moment?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 79 of 111

So I saw some Zoom glitches this PM, in particular when there was mild stress on the router with other devices (I was getting it all the time with the Netgear). I'll give it a little more time in case it's all syncing up still etc., but I'm a bit sceptical.

One thing I did note was that either airtime fairness or band steering (I've given the 2.4G and 5G channels the same name/password to enable that) seemed to be pushing my AC capable devices to BGN mode; I think it's the band steering as turning it off seemed to remedy (but then I started to face 5G range issues). I can get around this to an extent by pushing my Zoom to the guest network and only log into the main network for router access, but it's inconvenient, and not something I've seen noted elsewhere.

0 Likes

Message 80 of 111

I was seeing just shy of 80mbps download and 20mpbs upload on the Netgear, with speed tests of about 65-70mbps and 19-21mbps.

Good question on the clock; it may have been after the reset, I'll keep an eye.

0 Likes