cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Glitches with Zoom

gjc26
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 111 of 111

Hi

So I've been having glitches with Zoom.

OpenReach came in and tweaked things, which brought my connection speed up from about 55mbps to just under 80mbps, but the drop outs and "your internet connection is unstable" issues persist.

I prefer to use my own router, it's a Netgear.

I wonder if there's a setup issue, here are the current settings:

Select Country: UK
Select Internet Service Provider: TalkTalk

Transfer Mode: VDSL (PTM)
DSL Mode: VDSL 2

Multiplexing Method: LLC-BASED
VPI: 8
VCI: 35

Use VLANID: 101
Priority(0~7): 0

MTU: 1500

IGMP Proxying [not disabled]
Support British Telecom (BT) IGMP Proxying [doesn't matter if enabled or disabled still glitches]

Disable SIP ALG [doesn't matter if enabled or disabled still glitches]

I think these are the key ones.

Are these correct, and any more suggestions?
0 Likes
110 REPLIES 110

Message 101 of 111

@KeithFrench it's only visibly affecting Zoom, but that's the only live-streaming I tend to use so my assumption that the kind of minor glitches I'm seeing would be less likely to have noticeable impact on other activities as they will buffer etc. My other assumption is that any settings that are off, however minor, would be more likely to affect this sort of activity.

I may try the TT router, but note e.g. that it's not had security updates in the firmware for about a year etc., so am cautious; my understanding is it also potentially gives TT employees access to my network info that I'd prefer to restrict other than for troubleshooting so I'd like to know how to switch that off (e.g. UPNP is something I'd definitely want to switch off). Happy to switch things on temporarily during troubleshooting, it's just leaving things on and potentially open.

Regarding the device, it's a new laptop; I had the same issues on my previous one (same setup, earlier model) and that was part of the reason I did a refresh, but it didn't fix the Zoom issue. All software on all my equipment is up to date (and issues have continued through successive updates).

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 102 of 111

Sorry @Michelle-TalkTalk no I can't advise on the router settings, but if this is only affecting Zoom, is all other internet activity OK. It was asked before @gjc26, what happens when you put a TalkTalk router back on? What sort of device is Zoom running on, has there been any sort of updates on that device before these problems started?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 103 of 111

Morning,

@KeithFrench - Is this something that you could provide advice on please?

Thanks

Message 104 of 111

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk I have, but it doesn't cover all the facets of the settings I listed (e.g. VCI and VPI settings are only listed under non-fibre not fibre, and I'm seeing conflicting recommendations on those in this community).

0 Likes

Message 106 of 111

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk 

Before I rip everything out, is it possible for you to confirm the appropriate router settings, just as if that fixes it, that would be my preferred route?

Many thanks in advance.

0 Likes

Message 107 of 111

Hi gjc26

Have you tried your TalkTalk router just to see how the connection compares?

Thanks

Debbie

gjc26
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 108 of 111

Hi 

@Debbie-TalkTalk 

It's a Netgear D7800; I wanted to check that I had the settings listed above correct in that to rule out any specific issues. The TalkTalk user guide on router setup doesn't cover all of the nuances above (e.g. for the VPI and VCI, for which I've seen other recommended settings etc.)

@Skynet_TX 

I've tried both wired and wireless; the speed at the device is good (using TalkTalks speedtest through your support page), around 95-100% of the speed that both TT and my router are reporting.

It's literally just during Zoom calls, which are probably more sensitive to any drop outs etc. as it's a livestream. It's not obvious when doing anything else.

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 109 of 111

Hi gjc26

I'm sorry to hear this.

I'm unable to connect to your router, which router are you using make and and model?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 110 of 111

Hi @gjc26,

Are these glitches happening on a device that is connected to the router wired or wireless, if it is wireless have you tried running a speed test from the device to see what speed you are actually getting at the device, and are you able to try it from a device connected wired to see if it is any better.