cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

How to report intermittent fault

MountainMan101
Team Player
Private Message
Message 15 of 15

Since the bad weather last week, we've had an issue where when the wind gusts really hard we all loose out FTTC broadband connection, but only for the time it takes to re-establish the connection (~20 seconds). This is enough to cause problems with working from home - I lost it 7 times during a 60 minute call.

I think the only above ground section is from out house to the pole at the end of our drive (~10m) and that was newly run in 2014.

I'm assuming something has worked loose from the wind + cable.

How do I report this and get it fixed?

0 Likes
14 REPLIES 14

Message 1 of 15

Morning,

Thanks for keeping us updated and I'm glad to hear that fault has been resolved.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 15

As a follow up. The openreach engineer arrived, diagnosed the problem on the network (cross talk that was apparent at the end of my property, but not at the cabinet). Took a few hours to replace cable down the road, he had to go and get a cherry picker and traffic lights and then everything was fixed. Seems some storm damage to the pole had stretched the line or loosened the connection. The next two storms passed with no loss of speed/signal - so I'm pretty happy with the speed and efficiency with which they fixed things.

Problem was not on my property or in my house but I still got a £65 charge which took 24 minutes on the phone to resolve. I'm still not convinced either of the people I spoke to understood that there was no charge if the fault was off-site, but I got a "£65 credit" to fix the issue.

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 3 of 15

Hi MountainMan101,

I've booked the engineer for February 09 2022, AM (08:00-13:00) as requested - please let us know how you get on

Chris

0 Likes

MountainMan101
Team Player
Private Message
Message 4 of 15

Yes, please go ahead. I accept the terms.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 15

Thanks for answering the security questions. When you will and won't be charged are outlined here - Engineers charges

And yes, we just need the TalkTalk router connected to the test socket if that's what you mean

Please let me know if you'd like to go ahead with the engineer visit and I'll book it for you

Chris

0 Likes

MountainMan101
Team Player
Private Message
Message 6 of 15

Wednesday AM

I assume this is an openreach visit. I accept any charges as a result of my equipment at fault, but do calrify that the only requirement in use is TalkTalk router and Openreach provided line+socket.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 15

OK, if you'd like us to arrange the engineer visit can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges

• Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.

•  

I've also sent you a PM to confirm some other details 

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 8 of 15

Yes please arrange this. My contact details including address are in the personal information that I think you can see.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 15

OK thanks. The next step will be to arrange an engineer visit. If you'd like us to do this please let us know and we'll confirm some details

Chris

0 Likes

MountainMan101
Team Player
Private Message
Message 10 of 15

I have just the one socket, installed when the line was run in 2014, with built in filter on the phone port and a dedicated broadband port at the top. The router is plugged into the broadband socket, in this design of socket that is equivalent to the test port.

There was no problem on good weather days Friday and Saturday but both Thursday PM and Sunday evening it was frequent.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 15

Hi MountainMan101,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing problems with your service. Line test is passing but showing some disconnections over the last few days

How many telephone sockets do you have? 

Is your router currently connected to your Test Socket?

Chris

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 12 of 15

Yeah, this type of fault can be awkward as it can be very hard to actually catch the problem with any tests. Staff here will be able to advise what can be done when they pick this post up.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 15

That's why I think it's instantaneous fault. If I check the landline the ring tone is there, but also the router is reconnecting.

Line test came back fine when weather okay, I can run it again but chances are it won't fail during the test window.

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 14 of 15

Hi @MountainMan101,

The staff here on the community will be able to help when they return tomorrow.

It would be worth going to the Service Centre to run a connection test on your line, this will indicate if there is currently a fault affecting your service. You can also access this from the ‘My Account’ site.

Also, if you have a landline phone can you check to see if that is working normally (i.e. you have a clear dial tone and no noise on the line).

Staff here should respond to this topic early in the week to help. If you want to report it more urgently you may get faster support from the live chat.