cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Intermittent WiFi dropout

Bailey22
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 29 of 29

I have recently experienced a problem with intermittent WiFi dropout that is becoming more frequent. When this happens and I interrogate any of my devices I get a message that says (words to the effect of) 'You are connected to the internet but there is no signal. Contact your Internet Service Provider'.

When the dropout occurs, the light on the front of the Huawei DG8041W-2.T5 router is rapidly flickering between red and white. Turning off the router and waiting 5 minutes before turning it back on clears the issue - until the next time!

Do I have a faulty router?

0 Likes
28 REPLIES 28

Bailey22
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 21 of 29

Hello Debbie

Thank you for your reply and for confirming that the line test is clear. As I have explained to Keith French, the problem is intermittent and as I have replaced the filter and the cable connecting to the router, I am happy to wait for a while to see if the problem recurs. If I continue to have problems may I come back to you to take up your offer of a replacement router?

Thank you for your help. 

0 Likes

Bailey22
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 22 of 29

Hello Keith

Unfortunately, the master socket is not conveniently located and at 75 years old I'm not too keen on scrabbling about on the floor any more often than I need to. I have replaced the filter and the cable connecting to the router and as the problem is intermittent, I am happy to wait for a while to see if it recurs. If it does I'll let you know. 

Thank you for your help. 

0 Likes

Message 23 of 29

Hi Bailey22

The line test is clear - No faults detected.

Would you like me to send a replacement router for testing first to rule out any faults with your current router?

Thanks

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 24 of 29

Which master socket do you have then, please can you include a photo of it?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Bailey22
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 25 of 29

Thank you for your reply. 

I do not have the type of master socket that you have described, but I have fitted a different microfilter and replaced the cable that connects it to the router. Time will tell if it makes any difference. 

Thank you for your help and advice. 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 26 of 29

Then you probably have an unstable connection caused either by a faulty router or your broadband/fibre. What happens if you temporarily connect the router via a new or known working microfilter to the test socket? This is the one that is located behind the removable faceplate on the master socket (assuming that you have that design).

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

Bailey22
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 27 of 29

Thank you for your reply. 

No, I can't see anything like that. 

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 28 of 29

If you look in the user log in the router:-

Dashboard > See Internet Settings > Manage advanced settings > Advance Configuration > Maintenance Diagnostics > User Log

Are there any entries at these like this:-

restarted due to kernel panic

If so, the router needs upgrading to firmware V1.06.

Keith